Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    I just posted 0.7 to the download spot. Basically the same prc as I posted for jberman to test. Should play nice on the entire PalmOS Treo line from 600 to 755p now.
    Nice... everything's working great... got whooped by the chessbot again this morning.

Kudos to you, by the way, for documenting the fix for the bitmap problem. The TreoCentral forums come up frequently in Google so it may help someone.

Jesse
  3.    #83  
    Excellent. Let's see how many games of chess I can lose this weekend.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    since i installed 0.7 i've had no connection problems, or any other issues, all working v smoothly

....except for first game loss (bspooky). can you modify game so that everyone always win?

am I right in thnking that the treo vibrates when there's a move in one of your games?

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Weird problem. Upgraded to 0.7 version, no issue initially until a long delay occured.

Either I lost network connection or the server is overloaded. I made my move against Trgeoff and it kept waiting for some time until it prompted me to login. Hope that it's a one time occurrence.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    am I right in thnking that the treo vibrates when there's a move in one of your games?
    Yep, it does. It's a placeholder for a real notification system.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Weird problem. Upgraded to 0.7 version, no issue initially until a long delay occured.

Either I lost network connection or the server is overloaded. I made my move against Trgeoff and it kept waiting for some time until it prompted me to login. Hope that it's a one time occurrence.
    Sounds like the socket got stale. wifight tries to detect this via a keepalive system, but I didn't want to spend too much data on it so they are only sent every couple minutes, so it can take a little while to detect. I might start sending/expecting keepalives a little faster in future versions.

But, if you suspect your connection is stuck in this way, there's a shortcut to disconnect and reconnect. Just tap on the connection status icon (the 4 green lights) in the gamelist screen or the gameboard screen and it will disconnect/reconnect right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    since i installed 0.7 i've had no connection problems, or any other issues, all working v smoothly

....except for first game loss (bspooky). can you modify game so that everyone always win?

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Yep, it does. It's a placeholder for a real notification system.
    I think I saw my LED turned red as well. Is this normal?
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I think I saw my LED turned red as well. Is this normal?
    Yup, kinda. I was experimenting with having the LED turn on if a turn comes in while the screen is off. I couldn't get it to work right on my 680 but I left it in. Sounds like it might work on the 650, though
    Yup, kinda. I was experimenting with having the LED turn on if a turn comes in while the screen is off. I couldn't get it to work right on my 680 but I left it in. Sounds like it might work on the 650, though
    Yep works on my 650

The LED turns red and I get a vibration. Not sure if this behavior is caused by me using Butler though.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I don't have Butler and it vibrates and turns the LED red when its my turn. That confirms the game notifier works on the 650.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    After being very trouble-free over the w/e, on Monday and Tuesday I had two instances of not being able to connect, and getting a reset when I tried (many times). The first one occurred when a phone call arrived in the middle of a game (or connecting, i forget). Cant remember the exact circumstances of the second time, but I have a feeling it also had something to do with multiple demands on the radio signal too (perhaps using verichat at same time?).

Anyway, a hard reset and restore of previous night's backup fixed the first instance. Second time around I was curious to find the troublesome file/s. Through a series of hard resets and selective restores I was able to isolate the "Unsaved preferences" as the culprit. By alternately restoring a "good" or "bad" copy of this file I can make the problem come and go.

The message I get with #*377 is

"A reset was caused on......while running "wifight"; Fatal Exception."

Cheers

geoff
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  13.    #93  
    Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if it got corrupted somehow. I guess it must have. Maybe I can add a checksum or something to detect that. Do other apps run ok with the broken version in place?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if it got corrupted somehow. I guess it must have. Maybe I can add a checksum or something to detect that. Do other apps run ok with the broken version in place?
    yep I just tested about 20 apps, with particular emphasis on those that use the radio (blazer, SMS, phone, Verichat), and no obvious problems. Using FileZ I couldnt see any obvious wifight sections within the file to look at more deeply.

"Corruption" of the Saved Preferences file (as much as I understand it) is quite common, in my experience being evident in causing problems with Outlook- Calendar syncing. I have been able to correct that problem in the past just as I have done here, by restoring a previous "good" version from my backup. But Ive never come across a problem due to a corrupted Unsaved Prefs file before.

I tried dbFixit, but it doesnt show up as a file to check.

I can always send you the file if that would help - as long as you promise not to make public my "special" move.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  15.    #95  
    OK, I just posted 0.8. Should be much better on connection stability. http://get.wifight.com as usual. Also the gamelist has been spiffed up slightly.

Trgeoff: this doesn't address your corrupted unsaved prefs (yet). I'm going to try adding a checksum to saved/unsaved prefs to make things more robust.

jberman: I'm a little worried about how this ver will act on the 600 -- can you try it out for me? The 600 seemed to send a bunch of tcp/ip errors that the 650 and up don't send.
    jberman: I'm a little worried about how this ver will act on the 600 -- can you try it out for me? The 600 seemed to send a bunch of tcp/ip errors that the 650 and up don't send.
    Looks like it's working OK, but feels a bit slower. Creating a new game against chessbot seems to take a little longer, and the program seems a little less responsive in general (the animation is a little choppier, and there's a significant delay after the connection goes idle). Seems to be stable though.
    I like the new preview panel!! Very cool addition
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    0.8 working fine, nice look with the mini-me boards. Makes the "Chess with" a bit redundant now! Maybe it could be replaced with "Black vs. ..", or "White vs..". Or just reduce it to "with" and make the font of the opponent's name a little larger.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Looks like it's working OK, but feels a bit slower. Creating a new game against chessbot seems to take a little longer, and the program seems a little less responsive in general (the animation is a little choppier, and there's a significant delay after the connection goes idle). Seems to be stable though.
    Actually, it's quite a bit slower. I suspect it's because the connection is going idle more often? I guess that's good for battery life but saps the performance. Also, I had a few connection issues in the middle of a game, but the connection did come back, eventually.
    apologies if this has been covered but when I fumbled my treo (i.e. dropped it) some keys must have been pressed as now I see a box in wifight that displays fps & ms numbers (circa 114 & 88) that I assume is some debugging frame / milli second display. how do I turn that off? version 0.8.