Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 177
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Back on!

    without any attempted changes to anything on my side, the login now works fine.

    mysteries of the net

    cheers
    Just to report, we played a complete game. Everything worked fine. Of course, I let him win because we were just testing.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  2. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Just to report, we played a complete game. Everything worked fine. Of course, I let him win because we were just testing.


    I would have liked to have been able to let you take back your third (or fourth?) move! It seemed to be what is referred to a "mouse-error" on some dedicated chess servers. "Takeback" requests/grants are a common feature at such places, but I think chess is just one part of a much bigger picture for Brennan.

    Anyway, I think I had the advantage of being white, so challenge away and get your revenge!!

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Back on!

    without any attempted changes to anything on my side, the login now works fine.

    mysteries of the net

    cheers
    Well I'm glad you're back on but I don't like that it was rebooting before. There must be some error I need to catch. I don't suppose you checked the log with something like DebugPrefs?
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hteasthope View Post
    I just wanted to say that im really liking this program!! Really a great idea. I Was wondering if you could share what else you plan on implementing like games, and features...
    You nailed it. Games and features My first priority is to get the client and server stable and happy first though.

    By the way, I am reading (and writing down) the suggestions you guys are giving me even if I don't reply. There's so much to work on still that it's hard to know what to do first, so seeing what actual players require is great.
  5. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Well I'm glad you're back on but I don't like that it was rebooting before. There must be some error I need to catch. I don't suppose you checked the log with something like DebugPrefs?
    no sorry, i even had prefsdoctor off for the moment, if its log would actually help.

    i see you can get that Palm developers kit for free, I will look into over the w/e, not that im that techie, but i can usually struggle thru things eventually.

    no further troubles at all, and as per post in other thread, its going great guns.

    the tap to switch off the Wait msg works perfectly; and nice to see you fixed the prob of overlapping text in the games list entries.

    one other possibly simple enhancement: an option for a sound alert when one of your opponents makes a move.

    re other improvements, i used to play a lot on the grand-daddy of all chess servers, ICC (internet chess club) so i can think of lots of further possibilities that it offers, if you want a big list to ponder!! (perhaps a poll for people to vote on their wishes?)

    I think the list of online users is the most obvious crucial thing, i think it would work fine if it appeared on the wifight website, accessed via blazer. the website could be a great resource- players could enter what style of game they like (eg fast, slow) their chess "level". ie unless its all too easy to get such stuff to come up within the app itself.

    thanks for all yr hard work brennan, i had entered "online" "chess" "palm" in search engines so many times over the last few years!!!

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  6.    #66  
    I can post DebugPrefs.prc somewhere for you but I just remembered you can check the crash log by entering "#*377" into the phone app and hitting send.

    I'm glad you're digging it! There's more good stuff to come in the future once things stabilize. Chess is gonna get more love too, including turn undoing (the architecture basicallly supports it but it's still gonna take some work.)
  7.    #67  
    OK I just posted 0.6 at the usual spot. jberman can you try it on your 600? The only change is in the network code. Hoping it'll be a little more robust.
  8. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    I can post DebugPrefs.prc somewhere for you but I just remembered you can check the crash log by entering "#*377" into the phone app and hitting send.

    I'm glad you're digging it! There's more good stuff to come in the future once things stabilize. Chess is gonna get more love too, including turn undoing (the architecture basicallly supports it but it's still gonna take some work.)
    great to hear! turn undoing would make games more friendly, esp in combination with chatting.

    using 377 the report is

    <A reset was caused 8/30/07 at 2.05pm while running "TreoMute":

    MemoryMgr.c, Line:3877, Invalid chunk ptr.>

    The timing sounds right; I wasnt using Treomute at the time AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $its$ $a$ $tiny$ $program$ $that$ $sits$ $in$ $the$ $Preferences$ $options$, $maybe$ $it$ $interacts$ $with$ $wf$ $in$ $some$ $weird$ $way$. $It$'$s$ $by$ $Greenhex$, $another$ $great$ $TC$ $developer$ ($programs$ $are$ $at$ $his$ $TreoTown$ $website$).

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  9. #69  
    Brennan, thanks for the font change on ver 0.5. Right now TRgEOff is killing me on chess.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    OK I just posted 0.6 at the usual spot. jberman can you try it on your 600? The only change is in the network code. Hoping it'll be a little more robust.
    Just installed it... it started up, got to "Logging In" (I did notice that more lights than usual turned green... all 4 lit up, in fact) but then my Treo reset. It resets every time now after getting that far. The error log says "Bitmap.c, Line 1082, BmpGetDensity: invalid argument." That's usually associated with trying to run a hi-res only application on a low-res device. Ah well... looks like you got the network problem fixed but introduced another one.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Just installed it... it started up, got to "Logging In" (I did notice that more lights than usual turned green... all 4 lit up, in fact) but then my Treo reset. It resets every time now after getting that far. The error log says "Bitmap.c, Line 1082, BmpGetDensity: invalid argument." That's usually associated with trying to run a hi-res only application on a low-res device. Ah well... looks like you got the network problem fixed but introduced another one.
    Yeah, it would appear so. Naturally it doesn't do this on the simulator. And I don't actually call that function anywhere.

    Edit: Hmm, after googling the error string it seems it's an obscure OS bug on the 600. Not sure how I'm triggering it.

    Edit2: This thread is one of the top Google results for that string now... heh. Now I *have* to fix it!

    Edit3: jberman, can you try out the prc at URL REMOVED ;P ? I added some more error checking.
    Last edited by Brennan; 08/30/2007 at 11:31 PM.
  12. #72  
    Just tried the new version. No more crashing, but not logging in either. I was able to get it to log in by using that "tap" trick I mentioned earlier. FYI the login screen stayed up for a while, maybe 15 seconds, before taking me back to the login screen.

    Edit: Hmmm... interesting... once I got it to log in once (using the tap trick), now it logs in reliably every time -- no delay either, not the 15 seconds I was seeing before

    Edit 2: Even more interesting - I started getting the BmpGetDensity error again..... but only occasionally.... do you think this is related to my attempt to run it from the SD card? I seem to have slightly better luck from RAM (but not always)...
    Last edited by jberman; 08/30/2007 at 07:53 PM.
  13.    #73  
    Man, the Treo600 will be the death of me. Hard to tell if we're even making progress But it's not over yet.

    To the best of my knowledge, running from an SD card shouldn't matter.

    When it errors, do you see the gamelist paint at all before? I'm going over all my calls to anything about bitmaps or painting and checking for anything weird.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Man, the Treo600 will be the death of me. Hard to tell if we're even making progress But it's not over yet.

    To the best of my knowledge, running from an SD card shouldn't matter.

    When it errors, do you see the gamelist paint at all before? I'm going over all my calls to anything about bitmaps or painting and checking for anything weird.
    Nope, it seems to log in completely, and before it can paint the game list, boom! But it seems to be logging in reliably now. I'm going to take a chance and move it back to the SD card.

    Update: It is the weirdest thing. I moved it back to the SD card, ran it, and immediately got the Bitmap error again.
    Last edited by jberman; 08/30/2007 at 08:16 PM.
  15.    #75  
    Hmm, interesting. I just updated that same prc if you don't mind trying it. I wonder what running from SD could affect.
  16. #76  
    I was playing 2 chess games with Ronbo2000 and also started a tictactoe game with him at the same time without a problem.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I just updated that same prc if you don't mind trying it. I wonder what running from SD could affect.
    This seems much better! I've loaded it several times now without a crash. I'll keep banging on it...
  18.    #78  
    Yesss! I can finally take a break and have dinner. Hopefully nothing else will explode while I'm gone.
  19. #79  
    Continuing to work like a champ...
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Continuing to work like a champ...
    Whew! Awesome. Thanks for your help, jberman.

    And if you're reading this from a search engine result for "Bitmap.c, Line 1082, BmpGetDensity: invalid argument" on a Treo 600, then FYI the code I found (and deleted) was

    Code:
    FormType *form = FrmGetFormPtr(MYFORMID);
    FrmEraseForm(form);
    FrmDeleteForm(form);
    I think doing this puts the OS in a weird state. So don't. Just do FrmGotoForm().

Posting Permissions