Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Interesting. Chessbot must be sore loser.
    LOL! More like a sore winner, as I was the one being checkmated. I was getting my **** handed to me, in fact. I suck at chess.
    This might belong in the other thread, but the IM-while-playing idea got me thinking... wifight is essentially a specialized messaging server, no? So would it be difficult to pass a text message for your opponent along with a move? Or even a message on its own? You'd be able to chat with your opponent while you play

I realize this would probably take a lot of work to implement... just throwing the idea out there....
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    LOL! More like a sore winner, as I was the one being checkmated. I was getting my **** handed to me, in fact. I suck at chess.
    I thought you were playing black. Don't fret, even the great Kasparov gets beat by a computer, so you are in good company.

ps: I moved your other post to here.
    Brennan,

Font size control would be nice too. While the current size is easy for my eyes, some of character display on the list of games runs together specially if the user name is long.

Super application.

Thanks
    0.4 works great on my Treo 600! I connected to the server without issues, and I can even run it from my SD card using PowerRun.
    Oops... I spoke too soon.... I'm getting the same "Connecting... Logging On... Offline" problem I alluded to earlier. Currently using 0.4. It seems to work alright for a while after a fresh install, but eventually goes back to having this connection problem....
  6.    #46  
    Brennan -

One little problem - I played almost a full game of chess against chessbot, and just as I was about to lose, I got the following error message:

Error submitting turn
    script abort: unknown piecetype

The options were Retry and Cancel, and tapping on Retry just produced the same error message. Black's queen was (presumably) about to move into position for checkmate against white.
    Thanks for the bug report. I just found and fixed the bug, and verified promotion works now. You should be able to retry the move now and it should work.
  7.    #47  
    Oops... I spoke too soon.... I'm getting the same "Connecting... Logging On... Offline" problem I alluded to earlier. Currently using 0.4. It seems to work alright for a while after a fresh install, but eventually goes back to having this connection problem....
    OK, thanks. Can you try disconnecting and reconnecting the GPRS connection the next time this happens? I'll keep trying to replicate this in the sim.
    I did in fact try to disconnect and reconnect but without success. I'll see if there's anything else I can try, any apps running in the background, etc....
    It's so weird. It just connected OK - once - but after that it's gone back to not being able to connect. Any other suggestions for what I can try?
  10.    #50  
    Well I presume a soft reset fixes it? How many green lights turn on (of the 4)?
    A soft reset doesn't fix it. In the normal login process, the first two lights turn on in succession (but very briefly), and then the connection is broken. But I just discovered something interesting. If I press the login button, and then quickly tap anywhere on the screen while the Status: Connecting message is shown (a very short window of opportunity, maybe 1/2 a second), it logs in! It fails every other time. I know it sounds weird, but this is reliably reproducible behavior.

I found something else interesting in the course of playing around. I can start a tic-tac-toe or chess game against myself (either by entering my own name as an opponent, or by leaving the opponent field blank), which is a fun feature. However, if I start a tic-tac-toe game against chessbot, something strange happens: I'm playing against myself (I made all the moves shown below) but when it looks like I'm about to place an O, an X appears instead! So all the pieces are X's! It was a bit surreal:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4thj48k.jpg

And one final observation - if you try to resume an interrupted chess match, it takes quite a while to "rebuild" the board. It works, but it looks like it goes through each of the moves one-by-one, which can take several minutes for long games. Hopefully in later versions this can be sped up a bit!

This is a great app. It reminds me of the old games I used to play, like Battleship and Othello, against friends using our Palm III infrared ports (good times, good times). There's a LOT of potential here. By the way, if you ever implement a tic-tac-toebot, may I humbly suggest the name "JOSHUA" ?

http://i19.tinypic.com/61nozo6.jpg http://i14.tinypic.com/5z3glz5.jpg
    Last edited by jberman; 08/30/2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: How about a nice game of chess?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I too have had intermittent connection problems, seems to come in batches, so i thought it was due to either a poor signal on my side, or some problem server side. once it coincided with an instance of (after i did connect) the moves-update being incredibly slow. when its not connecting i occasionally see a msg, "net error" (i think, its very quick) in the top RH area where the four connection-indication boxes are. my signal strength does vary considerably, and last night when i was having probs connecting to wf, accessing web pages was also very slow.

apart from this, i dont notice any other patterns. havent had a chance to try jberman's trick yet.

overall still working amazingly well!!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  13.    #53  
    That is weird. And interesting. I'm gonna start using the treo600 sim as my main test platform for a little while and see if it happens to me. I also might have improved the error catching a bit for 0.5.
  14.    #54  
    And in fact I have just posted version 0.5. I really hope it helps with the 600 connection issue. http://get.wifight.com/
    Some good news on 0.5 - the tapping-timing thing is getting better. I still have to tap during the intial login, but once you're in, the connection stability is pretty good now. The new version is definitely an improvement. I can reconnect to the server, on average, about half the time without having to do my "tap" trick. That extra well-timed tap still does seem to guarantee a connection, though. It seems to me like a command buffer is being interrupted somewhere by that tap, but I'm certainly no expert!
    Last edited by jberman; 08/30/2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Greetings, Professor Falken
    I just wanted to say that im really liking this program!! Really a great idea. I Was wondering if you could share what else you plan on implementing like games, and features...
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I just installed 0.5 (uninstalled 0.4 first using Uninstall manager) and have not been able to connect. Ive tried three times and each time the sequence has been:

1. It asks me to login (since Ive erased all previous wifight info)
    2. I add my details, hit login
    3. only one of the connection boxes (topleft) lights up, I get "net error" message
    4. The login screen reappears, with my "remembered" details. I hit login
    5. the phone resets

My signal strength is currently good: I can connect to general websites, and to the wifight home site, at typical speeds.

i dont have an old copy of 0.4 to check against.

PS just tried a 4th time, after a 15min wait, this time it reset at step 3.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I realised I did have a copy of 0.4, in my Backupman backup from last night, so I restored that.

Got a reset at step 3 in my list of last post.

ill reinstalll 0.5 now, since it doesnt seem to be the problem.

just did: still resets at Step 3.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    i also tried restoring my Saved Preferences file from last nights backup (when wifight was working well), in case it had got corrupted somehow, but this didnt help (another reset at step 3)

ive also been monitoring the general ability of my phone to access the web, and I would say its actually at the fast end of its variable spectrum.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Back on!

without any attempted changes to anything on my side, the login now works fine.

mysteries of the net

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast