1.    #1  
    anyone know any cool shortcuts or tricks to access comming applications quickly or anything cool that most people might not know about?

im new to smartphones and dont understand a few things about them.

for one, from the dial screen when i entered a number to call, i did not see any indication message that i could save this number as a new contact... i think ive tried pressing menu to see if it might be in there but after a certain period of time the number erases itself... this was particularly frustrating last night because i didnt have that number written down anywhere.

anyways.

any cool tricks or cool free software would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure there is any way of saving a number you just enter without dialing. But once you dial, you can go to your phone log any time later (unless you purge your numbers) and any number you select there you can press menu to "Add Contact" and it will go into your phone book.
    Here's some of my quick & free goodies for my 680 ...

#1 Single Button Launcher - Allows app keys to be programmed with up to 5 other programs. Hold down the selected button and it scrolls thru the list until you let go. The Treos are a bit short on hard keys due to have 2 devices in one, but this baby keeps your most used apps only one button press away.

#2 Keyguard Time - Hold down center button and get a big clock, battery, and memory info etc. Let go and it returns to the work at hand. Stable and customizable.

#3 FieldPlus - Allows 5-way text selection for cut/paste. No stylus needed. This is soooo handy. Palm really does need to step up to the plate here. A little work could make non-stylus operations like this much better.

#4 Scrolljump - Allows holding down of D-pad to jump a page at a time or line at a time. Quiet handy for getting down a big list fast without stylus or scrollbar us.

#5 ShortCut5 - Returns near perfect "shortcuts" to the Palm OS Treo. Shortcuts were strangely left out of Palm OS for Treos, but I use them all the time. Uses the "." character as the indicator, so you might run into a rare conflict.

#6 Google Maps - This is how software should be written.

#7 FileZ - The file manager Palm can't seem to step up with. License this already Palm. Geeeesh.

#8 Invisible - Pretty cool to get rid of idiotic software icons the Palm + carriers burn into your ROM. With this, just select the app and it no longer appears in the app launcher, as if it were deleted.

#9 Addr2Memo - Good for taking all the data out of a Contact and dumpping it to a quick memo. What a mega hassle if you ever wanna do it with Palm's "improperly written" OEM Contacts app that does not return to the last point correctly.

#10 MiniTone - Killer!!! Turn any MP3 into a ringtone and even crop it on the Treo. No more carrier fee based bondage. Works superbly! Trip people out when you get a call and the Gieco Caveman commercial ringtone starts. :-)

#11 NVBackup - Automatic backups to SD card at user determined time. Backs up and restores flawlessly. Although, not quiet as a prominent need on NVFS devices like 680.

#12 Keyring - Encrypt all your private data in a powerful way.

#13 Khroma - Total control over Palm OS color schemes.

#14 SnapCalc - Pop up a nice looking calculator within any app and return instantly with a user defined key. Awesome.

#15 Soft reset - Soft reset your device with the touch of a finger. Especially useful with Palm new under the cover battery yanka outta paradigm. Will not work in a frozen device state of course.

#16 TCPMP beta - Excellent video player. I have 6 of my fav DVDs ripped on my 8GB SDHC card right now. Excelent audio + video.

#17 YAHM - System hack manager for OS5 devices. Still a lotta choices out there.

#18 OliveTree Bible Reader - Killer Bible reading and research app.

#19 SimpleSW - Simple stopwatch. Yep simple.

#20 Owner - Puts a "Owner Smiley" as the #1 icon on your app launcher. The hope is that when Joe Citizen finds your precious Treo on the mens urinal, then he'll turn it on and see that, tap it and see your name, address, phone. He will instantly return it and ask for no reward. I promise.

... that oughta getcha started. They all work great on the 680.
    Patrick Horne
    That's a great list Pat. a lot of stuff on there I didn't know about... thanks!
    And, the most important: an adequate (i.e., Seidio 16000) battery.

That's 1600
    Last edited by mdavis; 08/18/2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: The 16000 is the backpack version
    Gladja like it.
    Patrick Horne
    I have to say thanks too. I have found some new stuff too.

Device: T3 >Treo 650 > Cingular Treo 680
    Handheld: Agendus Premier Edition v.12.2
    Desktop: Agendus for Windows 4.31 (Build) 1497 Palm Version
    E-Mail: Agendus Mail ssl 5.31
    Other apps: Yourcall 2.0
  8.    #8  
    ok, thats a pretty nice list but i guess the next question is, where do you get these free applications from? im particularly curious about the "invisible" one.

i know you can cycle through different menus, but a personalized one of your most used apps would be a nice customizing touch.

thanks in advance. (again)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljm94 View Post
    ok, thats a pretty nice list but i guess the next question is, where do you get these free applications from? im particularly curious about the "invisible" one.

i know you can cycle through different menus, but a personalized one of your most used apps would be a nice customizing touch.

Just google the name + palm to find the web site. You need to do a little work.

Instead of MiniTones, I would like to recommend you use Music Tones. It does the same thing as MiniTones, but it is a more recent app.
    I'll also add to that list, Dir Assist. Unfortunately it doesn't work at the moment because of changes to YP.com, but the author is working on fixing it. Once it is working again, it is a great number/address lookup program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
    Instead of MiniTones, I would like to recommend you use Music Tones. It does the same thing as MiniTones, but it is a more recent app.
    Music tones is by??

Keleco
    You're right! I left DirAssist out b/c I have recently found it to stop working. Di not know about YP changing . That is the future of internet based computing. No browser, just access to massive amounts of data instantly!
    Can't wait for it to go live again.
    Patrick Horne
    I loaded the Keyguard Time device and set it up correctly. However, i got an error message saying something like "appication cant' be launched". Any thoughts on what to do?
    Some more free goodies that are always present in my treo:

HandyShopper - shopping list manager

MyCallLog - call log with lots of stats and sorting/filtering features

RingerSwitchBasic - puts an entry into the attention manager while ringer switch is off

Service LED - enables green LED blinking while there is phone network coverage (like in Treo 600 and 650)

KeyShades Hack - turn on/off keyboard backlight using side-button
    Jorge Costa
    Visor Deluxe -> T|T3 -> Treo 600 (2 weeks) -> Treo 650 + T|T3 -> Treo 680 + T|T3
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljm94 View Post

I prefer Applications Panel 1.3.