1.    #1  
    Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) held a simultaneous audio conference call and video webcast of the Sprint Ahead: The Technology Summit. The event was held on Thursday, Aug. 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon EST and featured presentations from top Sprint Nextel executives on the company's latest technology advancements for mobile and converged services. During the presentation, the group feast their eyes on the Palm Centro Smartphone.

Palm gave a sneak preview of its newest and tiniest Smartphone yet, the Palm Centro Smartphone. It will initially be offered in the U.S. by Sprint, and will support their high-speed EV-DO wireless network. No official announcement or device specifications were given as the device was shown to a small group at the Technology Summit in Reston, Virginia yesterday.

The Palm Centro features a new design targeting a younger demographic and people new to the Smartphone arena. It will include a full Qwerty keyboard and a touch-screen.

This phone is not designed for Treo Smartphone users. Not designed for those who work exclusively on their Smartphone. No, it’s designed for those who use their phone as just that “a phone”. Except it will offer so much more; things that has never been available to “just a phone”.

The device will provide three things not found in the entry-level phone space;
    1. The power and ease of the Palm OS
    2. A keyboard so SMS messaging can be done without having to repeatedly press a number keys to produce letters
    3. A high-speed connection to the Internet

The other obvious planned use of the device, by Palm and Sprint, is no-doubt with the soon to be released Palm Foleo. The Palm Centro Smartphone’s smaller than life Qwerty keyboard and touch screen is smaller than those found on the Treo Smartphones. This make the phone very small and useable and appealing to teenagers, women and business and consumers that really just want their phone to be small; yet powerful. The target price of $99 will make it attract to buy, but also allow the buyer to justify the purchase of the Foleo mobile companion.

“The Palm® Foleo™ mobile companion doesn't want to be your laptop. It's lightweight, elegant and thoughtfully designed for the things you do most on the go. Press one button and it's on. Instantly. Press another button and watch as Foleo connects wirelessly with your smartphone to bring your inbox to the big 10” screen and full keyboard.”

See the Palm Centro Smartphone’s smaller than life Qwerty keyboard and tiny touch screen doesn’t matter paired with a Foleo. The Palm Centro Smartphone’s screen and keyboard will work fine in a crunch and still better than the alternative cellular phone at the same price.

Keep your Palm Centro Smartphone in your pocket or purse and pull out that Foleo to view and edit Office documents and even run PowerPoint® presentations from it. Why try and surf the Internet on your tiny phone? With up to five hours of battery life packed into the Foleo’s compact design, you'll surf the web so on the big 10’ screen . So leave your laptop docked at your desk, because from the Foleo you can even access the PC from wherever you are – with LogMeIn.com.

With the Foleo mobile companion and the Palm Centro Smartphone, you carry a very light and powerful mobile duo. And you do so at a slightly lower price than Apple’s iPhone; plus you are able to do more. The best thing? Even without mobile wireless activation, both these items still have a lot of functionality; while the inactivated iPhone is just a shiny brick.

The Sprint Ahead: The Technology Summit Presentation Details

Time: 10:00AM (EST)
    Date: August 16, 2007

Other Agenda items:
    1. Introduction - Kurt Fawkes, Vice President, Investor Relations
    2. Innovation Driving Sprint Ahead - Gary Forsee, Chairman and CEO
    3. Mobilizing the Internet - Barry West, Chief Technology Officer and President 4G Mobile Broadband
    4. Leveraging Sprint's Network Assets to Support Converged Services - Kathy Walker, Chief Network Officer
    5. The WiMAX Business Case - Paul Saleh, Chief Financial Officer

This article comes from Palmloyal.com
    http://www.palmloyal.com

The URL for this story is:
    http://www.palmloyal.com/addons.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17972
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Is "smaller than life" your buzz-word, or Palm's?

Surur
  3.    #3  
    These are my words, as Palm has not issued a Press Release yet.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    Your post is certainly written in the style of a press release.

Surur
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Dear not-my-choice,

While your speculation about the Centro is both amusing and interesting, I think you should have been more clear that you posted this as an interested techie without trying to sound like an official press release, because you don't have any official connection to Palm, do you?

One point that you imply is the Centro having BT capability. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere about the Centro having BlueTooth, have you? Wouldn't that be required for pairing with "companion" devices?

but your line that pushed me over the edge was:

Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    The best thing? Even without mobile wireless activation, both these items still have a lot of functionality; while the inactivated iPhone is just a shiny brick.
    Wow, so the Centro is _the_ iPhone killer!? wow....
    This article sounds like PalmLoyal has become a Palm shill. Let me get this straight:
    - Centro is $99 cheap to appeal to the young crowd
    - Centro is very small to fit in pocket/purse
    - Centro wastes button space and kb-screen case area to have a Disney-sized kb (ref the pics)
    - So that the $99 young crowd can sell Lemonade on the corner to come up with Foleo money?

Pairing the Centro with the Foleo makes no sense/cents.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    So, presumably if you have a Foleo, the Centro would just be a CDMA radio to provide network connectivity?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The author of the thread does present in an press-release manner. However, let's be clear on what is really opinion and speculation and what is fact. His post, though containing facts, also includes speculation and opinion ("shiny brick".) Maybe godschoice, you're just a real smart corporate kinda guy and your writings just happen to have that official tone to them. The links do let us know the post is just a reprint of your palm loyal article.
    Nevertheless, I think this could be a great combination for students (SERO required.) Heck, the Centro would probably be a hit by itself with my kids and their friends.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    I cannot understand why anyone is downing Godschoice post. What the heck do any of these posts have to do with what he wrote? I'd like to see any of us come up with a better phone than what is coming out. It's very easy to say you want something, but it might be the best that Palm can do at this time and for only $99 yet. It looks like a great idea, no matter how small the keyboard is. It will probably bring a lot more people to try the Palm Operating System and maybe keep it going for some time to come. I see all these folks with Razrs and other tiny phones and sure wish mine was that small. I use the keyboard on the treo so little that it doesn't matter how small it is. Teenagers, women and even myself would probably use a stylus to tap the letters anyway. I always see these people sending text on a regular phone keypad and wonder what a pain that must be, this could be a great answer. If you don't like the Centro, don't buy it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I think this phone is a nice move from Plam.. While I continue to wait for this phones WM6 big brother we heard about I can't deny the fact that this Centro is a nice idea. I'm sure as the official specs come out you guys will come around to the idea of this phone. While it may not be targeted at many of us, it'll still serve an important service.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Hopefully one of the functions of the Centro will be generating enough revenue for Palm to fund many of the higher-end features many of us have long desired as well as the resources for greater innovation. We can all hope.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I like Godschoice's post.

I thought it had alot on insight regarding the Centro I had not considered.

The Centro is a good business move for Palm. How many of us grew up playing with a toy only to want to own that toy when we were older.

Start off with a Centro in high school. Own a treo in business life.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I am constantly showing off what my 700p will do to friends with stupid phones. I see the Centro as perhaps a good entry point for someone who has no experience with Palm OS and may not need all the capability or complexity of a Treo. And at an MSRP of $99 it is an easy entry. I'm uncomfortable telling my friends to get a Treo when the Treo is relatively expensive and it may not be a device they will like. I see the Centro as something I would recommend. It's inexpensive to try and similar in size to the phones they are using now.
  14.    #14  
    Yes, I often hear it about sounding too corporate but I write for my Palmloyal.com site so it's what I do. Maybe I'll edit it and say "Editorial" so the few facts don't seem so wrong next to the plentiful opinions that I provide.

There are very few facts known, so we all are guessing on the specs.

It would make sense to include Bluetooth based on the timing of the projected actual Press Release for Palm and Sprint. It looks as if the Palm is going to announce the availablity of both the Centro and the Foleo at the same time. It makes sense then that they would work together and even be sold in a Mobile Companion Bundle from Sprint and Palm.

The Foleo makes sense to me bundled with my 755p; bundled with the Centro it would make lots of sense to a lot more folk.
    Last edited by godschoice; 08/21/2007 at 07:08 PM.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    It does not matter now, because the Foleo is dead in the water as of today!!
    No more Foleo, straight from the mouth of Ed Colligan!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >