Here's the scoop everyone:

- Comes out in the Fall
    - Sprint 90 day exclusive
    - Youth market/new users
    - $99
    - EvDO
    - Keyboard is very small, lol
    - Engadget's photos are "roughly" correct

I imagine the final design then will be slightly different?

Quote Originally Posted by GearLog
    The Centro has possibly the tiniest QWERTY keyboard I've ever seen. It's infinitesimal: it's actually impossible to type on this thing with two thumbs. The keys on the model I tried were little clear rubbery bumps, below a cursor pad and the usual Palm OS quick application buttons. Seeing me get frustrated trying to puzzle out letters on this tiny thing, a Sprint rep stepped in to say that it was for the "youth market" - in other words, kids with nimble fingers and sharp eyes to read the small screen. On the other hand, it'll fend off the argument about Treos being chunky, that's for sure.
    Source

Update: Re the WM version

Quote Originally Posted by Engdaget
    However! It does look like the version they played with (probably the one above) isn't the "adult-sized" model we've also seen online, which shares many of the same design cues but appears to be larger, has a horizontally oriented display, and runs Windows Mobile.
    --> http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sta77/Palm.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Sprint is getting the Touch

- 2mp camera
    - 400mhz processor (up from 200)
    - Evdo upgradeable to RevA
    - 128mb of RAM
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/16/2007 at 07:55 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Confirmed from my contact at Palm.

The Palm Centro from Sprint (note not Treo!)
    • Smallest Palm OS smartphone to date
    • Targeting a younger demographic, new to the smartphone space
    • Runs on EVDO network
    • New design features a full keyboard and touch screen

Image: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/05/m...eo-800-series/
    Last edited by marcus; 08/16/2007 at 08:28 PM.
    as I asked before, when will the "Barbie" labeled version be available from Mattel?
    Malatesta - Touch? When possibly?
    The GearLog article didn't say specifically, but the event was to preview Sprint devices coming out in 2007.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Ok so any word on the it's WM big brother? This centro is great news and hopefully this whole youth aspect means mutimedia etc etc.. I'm just not a Palm OS fan so I'm still waiting for that sleek black WM6 Treo 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearlog
    The Palm Centro, aka the "Gandolf" or "Treo 800" is a tiny Treo running Palm OS, the first truly new Treo form factor in years. (Yes, Engadget's photos are roughly correct.) Sprint doesn't have an official name for it, but there was an app called "About Centro" on the home screen. Specs were also hard to come by: a Sprint rep at the event said it was "a shrunk-down 755p," including EVDO, but other scuttlebutt at the show was that the gadget will sell for only $99 with contract when it pops onto the market this fall. One thing that was sure was that Sprint will have a 90-day exclusive on the new Treo.

The Centro has possibly the tiniest QWERTY keyboard I've ever seen. It's infinitesimal: it's actually impossible to type on this thing with two thumbs. The keys on the model I tried were little clear rubbery bumps, below a cursor pad and the usual Palm OS quick application buttons. Seeing me get frustrated trying to puzzle out letters on this tiny thing, a Sprint rep stepped in to say that it was for the "youth market" - in other words, kids with nimble fingers and sharp eyes to read the small screen. On the other hand, it'll fend off the argument about Treos being chunky, that's for sure.
    Source: http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/hands...int_palm_g.php

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    Did you like the Centro? You think it will click among the youth targeted market? How small is it?
    Dang that thing is ugly.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I don't know if the GearLog guy has ever used a Treo before or how big his hands are, but looking at the Engadget picture and comparing the keyboard to my own thumb/700p, it doesn't look that much smaller - just not smile shaped.

Why did they waste so much space with giant buttons and the case between them and the screen? If the keys really are tiny, how young a crowd do they want to sell to to find hands that small? Disney MVNO?

Handspring, wherefore art thou?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Did you like the Centro? You think it will click among the youth targeted market? How small is it?
    Supposedly very tiny.

I think for $99 it'll actually do very well for people who have never used a device with a KB. It'll slip into your pocket and have a sweet high res screen. Nice for lite tasks.

I mean, even the Q while super thin is extremely wide--people don't realize that until they start throwing into their pants or actually make a call on it. It feels odd in the hand.

It'll be hard for TC members to ponder using it as it's way below the current Treo class, so I wouldn't put too much into people's thoughts here.

Bubba: For the Touch I would expect Q4 (October+).

As for the WM Smartphone: no idea

Treo 800w: no idea, but Q4+ is more likely than sooner

Yep, just read the gearlog article - he said November. I would have to see/play with that onscreen kb before I get excited about the Touch.
    what size battery is being talked for the Centro? will be interesting to see how stable it is (memory) and if it has to reset itself everytime you look at it.

i like it's small, thin design, and it's touchscreen. i think it has a place, as long as it works.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Yep, just read the gearlog article - he said November. I would have to see/play with that onscreen kb before I get excited about the Touch.
    forget about using the onscreen keyboard without a stylus. the Touch is defintely not designed around text input. period.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    forget about using the onscreen keyboard without a stylus. the Touch is defintely not designed around text input. period.
    Not true.....People are having good success with HTK (Happy Type Keyboard). I would assume that the custom Sprint version includes something more "touch" friendly (no pun intended).
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    It doesn't sound like it's for me, but maybe it'll excite some young'uns who haven't convinced anyone to buy'em an iPhone.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    PIC is quoting a named Palm rep who confirmed the existance of story on the Centro. He also is quoted as saying "Paul also states that there is a "bigger story" behind the Centro which will be revealed closer to the product release date."

Anyone willing to hazard a guess on what the "bigger story" is?
    Patrick Horne
    I'm sure people at palm think this is the next big thing for smartphones, too.
  18.    #18  
    Bigger story, eh?

I dunno. I hate when random employees say such things, as it could be "insider" big news e.g. this guy got to pick the color, up to it has a biometric reader and comes with a Foleo.

I'm not putting too much faith in this...but hey, i'll wait for the "surprise" if there is one.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/17/2007 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    as I asked before, when will the "Barbie" labeled version be available from Mattel?
    It really depends on whether you want the leaded or the unleaded model
    Damn. How many section treocentral needs? Palm....just give us the new damn treo. I am done with new products. Made just one decent phone, which took 4-5 years to perfect it. And now playing with new products. I hope you guys didnt waste all money on designers to bring us ugly or useless products. I hope new OS is getting some beef as well.
    Whats next for you guys? Windows based foleo??
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast