Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I've got a Blackberry 8700 for work, but I can't stand the EDGE data connection and lack of any sort of easy OSX tethering. So I'm going to be getting the Sprint SERO $30/mo plan and Treo 755p mainly to use as a EV-DO tethered modem and maybe light SMS/AIM use.

I know Treo and Blackberry are totally different beasts, which is why I'm keeping the work BB for solid e-mail and voice communications.

I'm mainly curious about...

1. Am I looking in the right direction getting a 755p to use as a OSX-compatible EV-DO tethered modem? What sort of speeds can I expect?

2. Am I making a mistake getting a 755p given all of the problems it seems people have with them?

Any insight that any experienced Treo users can offer would be a big help for me.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimind View Post
    2. Am I making a mistake getting a 755p given all of the problems it seems people have with them?
    I can't help you with the mac stuff, but...

these forums aren't a true representation on the 755's reliability... meaning the help my treo just blah, blah, blah posts will always outnumber the my treo is running just fine posts... if I start a thread saying my treo is working perfect, it would fall off the 1st page within hours... here is a better gauge of owners satisfaction http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145489
    HTC Touch Pro
    if you want to use the 755 as a wireless modem for your notebook, you will need additonal software, unless you want to pay extra $ to sprint for the modem service.

The 755 is simple awesome. We have exchange at work, and activesync push email works as advertised on the 755. I also think the 755 is a better voice phone than the BB.

enjoy your treo...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    What sort of software do I need to get to hook the 755p up to my Mac to use as a modem? It looked like Palm had instructions on their site with how to use it as a BT modem w/o additional software...

Also, what's the deal with multitasking on Palm? Does it really mean I can't open Google Maps, switch the web browser, take a call, then go back to my spot on the map without closing each app? I'm very used to having an application switcher on the Blackberry and having all of those applications open together in the background and being able to switch at will. How does the multitasking environment in the PalmOS work?
    Last edited by ultimind; 08/16/2007 at 06:36 AM.
    goggle maps & the web browser will be in the same spot when you return to the app, they just can't render a page in the background...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I see... What about AIM? How are you notified of new messages?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimind View Post
    What sort of software do I need to get to hook the 755p up to my Mac to use as a modem? It looked like Palm had instructions on their site with how to use it as a BT modem w/o additional software...
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

This is what I plan to use with my Mac with the USB cable. I prefer that since it's faster. Can be used without PAM but I don't plan on using it as my main internet connection. Just for email and checking out some sites.
    Yeah I would go with usb modem .. seems to be the most stable version plus it has mac support. I live in so cal so my ev-do speeds through sprint are around 400-600kb/s but if your in a strong ev-do area you can get all the way up to 2mb/s Ive never seen that high but they say its possible. You can also use the DUN hack to connect by bluetooth if your laptop has BT and save some money on software.
    The 755p comes with a link to a free (meaning it does not have to be purchased) IM client, but it cost a per SMS charge to use it. If you have anything short of an unlimited SMS plan then you should be concerned.

I like the $11 Mundu IM client and it works great and does not use SMS for send IM chat conversations.

The is an AOL only IM app called Toccer but I have not used it, as MSN is my IM of choice.

The 755p is a very stable device and you will be happy with it. The issues that gets the most press here are the BAD Apple 755p thay are determine within days or weeks and can be replaced for a NEW one by Sprint (within 30 days) or issues caused by apps that don't work well with the 755p or other apps on the device.

I created a list of essential Freeware apps that you can safely add and allow the device to be more productive. Tackle them one app at a time if you try them.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    you might even find that you can get rid of your BB if you set up your Treo with BB connect it will push the email right to your Treo.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.