1.    #1  
    I have my wife's 650. She moved over to an iPhone. Yup. Elvis left the building. Sorry, Palm.

The reason she had an excuse to switch is that the D-pad, the home button, the little green phone (push it and yell, "Hello? Hello?" to use voice mode on the Treo), the calendar key and the email key -- they are all non-functional or semi-functional.

Oddly enough, the keyboard itself works just fine.

Seeing as how this is largely a salvage job, I'm willing to crack open the case and see if a little cleaning might not solve this problem. The Treo is way out of warranty.

Has anyone ever cracked open the case and cleaned the contacts on these keys? Is it easy/hard? And do I need a hammer?
  2.    #2  
    OK. Dead silence at TreoCentral can only mean one thing. Palm is doomed.

For what it's worth, here is a link to instructions on how to open up the Treo 650:

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...your-treo.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    OK. Dead silence at TreoCentral can only mean one thing. Palm is doomed.

For what it's worth, here is a link to instructions on how to open up the Treo 650:

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...your-treo.html
    I spent a lot of time this weekend learning about the guts of the Treo 650 (wanting to thoroughly clean out the Black Tie edition model I bought on eBay). With just a T5 Torx and some patience it's not too bad. The only thing to watch out for is those two ribbon cable connections. It took me a while puzzling (and worrying that I'd broken something) to figure out that you have to fiddle a bit to reconnect them completely, especially the one for the screen. They'll feel like they're all the way in but it takes some pressure for them to slide in the last millimeter. This is especially challenging with the screen cable, as it's so flexible. I actually went to bed Friday night thinking I'd irrevocably broken it (the screen wouldn't turn on), only to try again and discover the trick to it the next day.

Once I figured that out it was easy. Afterward I actually ended up tearing down both of my 650s completely, the Black Tie and my original graphite unlocked GSM. I selected the best (least worn) components from each to put back in the Black Tie case. Screen and keyboard mainly, though the Black Tie mainboard had much better reinforcement on the audio jack as well.

At this point I feel confident enough I wonder if I should start offering repair services!

In any case, I'd think just replacing the keyboard PCB (where the contact blisters are that would wear out) would be pretty quick. There appear to be replacements available on eBay for around $15 with shipping.
    Last edited by spurdy; 08/20/2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added keyboard specifics. :)
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for these clues. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 650. I don't know whether it is worth my time to rehabilitate the 650, though. It works OK, but the buttons are sometimes reluctant to work. That $15 eBay solution sounds like it would solve the problem. I may just do some surgery. For kicks.

I'm using a Dash now. The 750 (and this 650) sit in the drawer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I have my wife's 650. She moved over to an iPhone. Yup. Elvis left the building. Sorry, Palm.

The reason she had an excuse to switch is that the D-pad, the home button, the little green phone (push it and yell, "Hello? Hello?" to use voice mode on the Treo), the calendar key and the email key -- they are all non-functional or semi-functional.

Oddly enough, the keyboard itself works just fine.

Seeing as how this is largely a salvage job, I'm willing to crack open the case and see if a little cleaning might not solve this problem. The Treo is way out of warranty.

Has anyone ever cracked open the case and cleaned the contacts on these keys? Is it easy/hard? And do I need a hammer?
    While out with friends, I set my Treo on the table and someone spilled a sugary tropical drink. Luckily, the screen didn't get soaked, but some of the keys became intermittent and sticky. I took it apart and cleaned the components with rubbing alcohol. I found lots of lint and dirt in there also. The keyboard now works as well as when it was new.

Taking it apart is not so bad if you are at all handy. The (slightly) tricky parts are finding a T5 torx driver, using your fingernail to split the case halves, and the ribbon connectors.

I'd say it's likely that some grunge has made its way between the contact pads and the keyboard on your wife's Treo, and that a little cleaning will make it work perfectly again.