1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been covered before but I did try to search and I didn't come up with anything so here it is..

I like most of you am getting tired of my 1.6 versioned 700p locking up all the time, I waited to see what the update had to bring but that looks like a big crap shoot as most of you guys are trying to convert back to the old version.
    My question is, what is the phisical difference in hardware between the w and the p models? And has anybody every tryied converting their palm into a windows based device?

This might be a dumb question but I just had to ask..

Thanks.
    Its not possible. The hardware is different. No palm device can be flashed or re-jiggered into a windows mobile device.
    I don't think "most" people have their 700 locking up all the time. For many people, myself included, it is rare or infrequent. I just picked up a new replacement 700p with 1.06 and put my stuff on it fresh and it is working great. No resets or "lockups."

If you had a previous treo and synced your old stuff into the new one, that would likely cause problems. Software (bad or conflicting) is generally what causes problems. Why don't you try doing a hard reset, and reinstalling your applications slowly (over several days), from scratch. Just rename your backup folder in the Palm folder. Also, put in Northglide's Uninstall as your first application and then you can easily uninstall the offending program.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I don't think "most" people have their 700 locking up all the time. For many people, myself included, it is rare or infrequent. I just picked up a new replacement 700p with 1.06 and put my stuff on it fresh and it is working great. No resets or "lockups."

If you had a previous treo and synced your old stuff into the new one, that would likely cause problems. Software (bad or conflicting) is generally what causes problems. Why don't you try doing a hard reset, and reinstalling your applications slowly (over several days), from scratch. Just rename your backup folder in the Palm folder. Also, put in Northglide's Uninstall as your first application and then you can easily uninstall the offending program.
    Million dollar question: Where did you get a 700P with 1.06 FW at. Im sure loads of people would like to know
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    Million dollar question: Where did you get a 700P with 1.06 FW at. Im sure loads of people would like to know
    I posted my story in the VZW 1.10 thread, but the short story is I got a refurb replacement with 1.10 that did not work. Took it to the VZW store and they replaced it with a new one in stock. They had not updated their stock to 1.10 so I got a 1.06. On my original 700P, the only problem I really had was skipping in PTunes. With this one manufactured in July 2006, it is really good, with no skipping. Occasional delays in sms but that's more a vzw issue.
    When the comments are said about not being possible because the hardware is not the same, that is true if the attempt is made with the same ROM from the w/wx. That does not mean it is not possible and depending on the differences in hardware, it may not even be that hard. However, it needs to be made by someone with some serious access, like Palm, MS, or a god in reverse engineering.

I am none of those :-) but have made such work on other type of devices.
    I tried, but it did not work with the tools I had. I'm not sure it would have worked had I got it to take anyway. Looking at 240x240 on a 320x320 screen would look horrible. As far as hardware differences I cant find many. I change keyboards, mics and earpieces out between the two all day long. Motherboard has a different LCD connector on the WX than the P, other than that I can find no real difference in hardware.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, prior to my 700p I used to have a 650 which had NEVER ever locked up and ran flawless for me, it just bothers me that after you spend good money on a new and supposedly improved unit you get crap like this..

I think switching over to windows would be possible, yes the resolution would be horrible but I think my buddy that works over at sprint wouldn't mind changing out my "broken" screen with a 240x240 megapixle unit..
    Now finding a way to flash the thing is where the problem lies in.
    It wont plug in, like i said different connector
    If someone creates a bounty/cash reward of some sort, the 700p to wx and vice versa converter should come up.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Muffnician, are you using the MS tools for embedded devices? I assume that is what they use for the Treo. Is it a JTAG interface? Is the screen on the 700p fixed resolution and can't be changed to 240?

I'm curious on the interface type since that may limit the simpler plug-in debug options (like addresses used by devices during code execution etc.).
    No, I was just using a really old Sprint application that they use to update all phones, it has a rom update utility built into it. I sure it is not anywhere near as open as MS tools since I have never used it. I was just trying for the sake of trying and was never successful, so i gave up. They re-flashed all the computers and took that tool away from us, so I cant do anymore attempts at trying. I assume the resolution of the LCD is fixed and it would be far beyond my scope of tech knowledge on how you would change it anyway. I was just stating the hardware is different, but with WM6 supporting 320x320 that may not matter anymore. I just need them to upgrade the W or WX to WM6 and I can start playing again but that won't happen....
    Sorry I could not be more help

Muff