Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of my all time favorite Palm applications, HandsHigh's Slap, seems to have been licensed or bought by SplashData, and is now Snap. Snap is no longer free, but it is still such a good and useful app, I'd personally still pay the $9.95.

I highly recommend this application, though I have no associate with either HandsHigh or SplashData other than being a paying customer. I use Snap as a quick entry notepad while I'm on the go. I have it mapped one of the Treo's hard buttons, and then from within Slap's preferences, I have a second application, MemoLeaf in my case, mapped to that same button. Thus, I can toggle Slap and Memoleaf just by pressing the hard button.
    Last edited by Conrad; 08/15/2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Hey! Thanks for the pointer! Good stuff, Splashdata.
    Looks good, but it overwrites the snap program that is used to grab screen shots from the Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs View Post
    Looks good, but it overwrites the snap program that is used to grab screen shots from the Treo...
    Yea, I noticed the same thing. What I did was use to use the resource editing program, Bird, to change the name of the screenshot program's database to "Snap!" and now the two apps can co-exist.

Other oddities...
    • Maybe it's all the button-grabber apps I have installed that is the problem, but it has no effect when I assign Snap to the "Memo" button on my 680.
    • You can't change or remove the "SplashNotes" icon on the screen. I have used Natara's DayNotez for years before there ever was a SplashNotes, so I'm not likely to switch at this point. However, the icon remains. Obviously, this is a case of you get what you pay for!
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Hear hear. I'd been using Slap for a long time, and had been hoping to see some updates. For instance, if I get John Doe's contact info via email, I'd use this to add that info to Contacts. Until now, though, I've had to jury-rig some of that process.

Here's my process, step-by-step: 1) copy John Doe's contact info to the clipboard, 2) paste the info into Slap, 3) let Slap sort it out, put it in Contacts, and select a category, 4) when it sends me to that contact, open the note and paste the contact info again into the note, 5) double-check that the right info is in the right fields* and that phone numbers are the right type, etc., and copy/paste a website, if included, 6) delete the note once all relevant data has been transferred.

*Not too long ago, I found a contact listed as "Bank, Virginia Commerce" rather than by his name--shows what happens when your data is out of order!

I'm hoping now that Snap can streamline that process a little, especially if it supports things like the website field in contacts. I'd imagine that SplashData could code the program to check which databases are being used (Palm OS classic or Palm's newer ones) and route data to those fields accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs View Post
    I noticed this as well. I opened FileZ, selected the snap app, clicked the Details button and edited the name of the app to "Snapshot". Saved and exited. I could now download the Splashdata Snap app without a problem. Both seem to be working fine.

I mapped Splashdata's Snap to my green phone button using LudusP considering my memo button is being used by a primary app of mine (Chatter and then SMS).
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Kudos to Splashdata... Just noticed that the SplashNotes icon on the Snap screen recognizes that I have Natara's DayNotez program installed and launches it when pressing that last icon. It is impressive for a company to support a competitor's product like this, even in such a small way. Kudos.

Actually, I think both Natara and Splashdata are classy organizations, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.
    Is this a demo that at the end of the week will cease to work?
    Or is it free from here on out if you download it during this week?
    Where do I get the reg id for this app? Obviously it is in its trial mode right now unless we get the reg code to register it.

I don't see anything about how we can get it registered.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I've been a licensed user of HandsHigh Slap for years. Behind the phone, and 2Day, Slap has been one of the most used apps on my Treo 600. It's a great applet.

I've recently upgraded to a Treo 755p and have been looking for the latest versions of all my software from the T600. HandsHigh hasn't upgraded Slap from v 1.67 in years, and it does work fine on my 755p

I see SplashData now has Snap, which appears to either be rebadged or an exact copy of Slap.

I downloaded the supposedly free for week program, but it asks to be registered when it starts up. Apparently it's not really free, but can't be purchased from their site either.

I might be willing to purchase it if it's an updated version of Slap, but I didn't notice anything new from my Slap 1.67 version, except that it takes 87Kb more of my Treo RAM. Other than that, it looks identical. It even picked up my Slap data (I had both installed at the same time).

Is this software free, or just a free trial?
    Is there anything different than Slap in there?
    I think it isn't anything different from the older Slap app, similar to other apps that got bought out by another developer and rebranded.

I'm waiting for a reply regarding the "free" app from SplashData.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    mine doesn't ask for registration at all. No screen, nothing. Nowhere to register it in the program either. I am on a 650
    Snap was free for the first week, and it was released around August 1, so we have officially ended the free promotion as of 8/12/07.

Snap is now for sale for $9.95.

It is free to try for 15 days: Download
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Darn, I always mis out on the free stuff
    It's actually DayNotez that has support for Slap. We had to put certain code in our app so that Snap would recognize it. We worked with HandsHigh early on with this. Slap just recognizes any 3rd party app that has certain characteristics (or lets itself be known to Slap that it is "compatible"). There is nothing specific in Slap for DayNotez, but the other way around. I'm not sure if there are any other 3rd party apps (outside of HandsHigh's own apps) that are supporting this.

BTW: This has been a "feature" in DayNotez for a few years now. It doesn't get much notice. I also don't think that Slap has been updated in quite a while. 1.6 came out in 2004. I'm not sure if there was anything updated other than cosmetic for the Splash version (similar to how they took on HandsHigh ThoughtManager and rebranded it as SplashNotes).

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Kudos to Splashdata... Just noticed that the SplashNotes icon on the Snap screen recognizes that I have Natara's DayNotez program installed and launches it when pressing that last icon. It is impressive for a company to support a competitor's product like this, even in such a small way. Kudos.

Actually, I think both Natara and Splashdata are classy organizations, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.
    Last edited by bnystrom; 08/16/2007 at 01:50 AM.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Like cadman above, my download of Snap (during the free download period) did not include a registration screen or even a shortcut to do so within a drop-down. No sign of it being a 'time limited' trial either.

This is Snap 1.1 running on a 680.

How useful it is, I'm not yet sure....
    Bummer - I downloaded during the "free" period but got a trial version - I guess they announced the giveaway before they updated the prc for download.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I cannot get on the splashdata web site. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Nope, I get on fine np.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by slein View Post
    I cannot get on the splashdata web site. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I had a problem earlier in the day but now it's fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast