Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I go from a Windows device to my Treo, I sometimes find myself missing multi-tasking more and more.

I don't know if Kinoma (or my gps navigation software) even offers a Windows Mobile version, but it's really bothersome that I have to close one application (in most cases) to open another. This causes delays in my entertainment and travel, among other things.

Do any of you consider switching to a Windows Mobile device for similar reasons?

I think a recent TreoCentral software round-up mentioned a program that offers what I imagine to be the next-best-thing to true multi-tasking, but I don't remember the name of it. I think the program lets us choose certain applications to more or less pop-up on the screen, manipulate/use the application somewhat, then return to our existing program without a true interruption. Do any of you remember such a program mentioned in the past few weeks or so?

So, what's a Palm OS user in-need of multi-tasking solutions to do?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    DA's allow this to an extent, but it's not really a solution, it's a hack. It works fairly well for small apps, but it's not a replacement for multiasking. I think what you're wanting to see is Accessorizer, it will make any app a DA.

Multitasking is the only reason I'd consider switching to Windows Mobile. I will continue to hold out for the Linux Palm core for at least a few more years. Failing that (or other things failing..) I'll be forced to switch, but I will not be happy about it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    DA's allow this to an extent, but it's not really a solution, it's a hack. It works fairly well for small apps, but it's not a replacement for multiasking. I think what you're wanting to see is Accessorizer, it will make any app a DA.

Multitasking is the only reason I'd consider switching to Windows Mobile. I will continue to hold out for the Linux Palm core for at least a few more years. Failing that (or other things failing..) I'll be forced to switch, but I will not be happy about it.
    This "DA" sounds familiar. If it stands for "digital assistant," that's probably what I heard about. Too bad that it's only for smaller programs.

What do you have against Windows Mobile?
    After using an iPAQ for a work project, I can safely say I won't be buying a Windows based phone. The UI is just horrible for a PDA/Smartphone type device.

I don't miss multitasking on my Treo 680 at all. I can play my music in the background, and that's all I care about going on in the background. There's not enough room on the screen to have more than one app open anyway.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
    After using an iPAQ for a work project, I can safely say I won't be buying a Windows based phone. The UI is just horrible for a PDA/Smartphone type device.

I don't miss multitasking on my Treo 680 at all. I can play my music in the background, and that's all I care about going on in the background. There's not enough room on the screen to have more than one app open anyway.
    The apps don't all have to be open and visible on the screen at the same time. I just don't want them closing just because I needed to jump to another application, right quick.

For instance, if I'm running my navigation software, I'd like to stop and make a phonecall without the navigation application closing down then having to be restarted when I get off the phone (i.e. reconnecting external devices and restarting gps logging, etc.).

Leave'em open in the background, y'know?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    ................ Too bad that it's only for smaller programs.

What do you have against Windows Mobile?
    With Accessorizer you can make a DA version of almost any app, of any size
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    With Accessorizer you can make a DA version of almost any app, of any size
    While that's perfectly true, in my experience the more "complicated" the DA'd program, the more likely it is to inspire a crash. For example, I can "multitask" from Blazer to the inbuilt Memo program and back again no problems.

But if I try to skip out to the commercial program TreoMemo from Blazer, I get a reset (this in using Accessorizer in combination with PetitLauncher).

I think the main desire of the original poster is not going to happen on a Treo for other reasons anyway, ie I dont think the data connection can simultaneously handle data from the GPS program and phone.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    While it is irritating to be dumped out of an application when you go to another...for example to have to close Blazer when you answer a call, in my experience there are more irritations with Windows Mobile. Every equivalent program in WM seems larger (requiring more memory) and slower...especially swapping between tasks. Waiting a couple extra seconds for apps to open really grated on me.

The other thing that bugged me with WM is the total lack of support from Microsoft. It is like WM is the ugly stepchild. While holes/bugs in Vista are fixed everyday, WM almost never gets fixed till the next iteration...which can be years away and the 9 times out of 10 the update is not available for your device. Palm is much better about releasing service fixes.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    While that's perfectly true, in my experience the more "complicated" the DA'd program, the more likely it is to inspire a crash. For example, I can "multitask" from Blazer to the inbuilt Memo program and back again no problems.

But if I try to skip out to the commercial program TreoMemo from Blazer, I get a reset (this in using Accessorizer in combination with PetitLauncher).

I think the main desire of the original poster is not going to happen on a Treo for other reasons anyway, ie I dont think the data connection can simultaneously handle data from the GPS program and phone.

cheers
    The gps/phone thing was just one of many examples. Another is going between gps and contacts. Sometimes I need to add a contact, which requires me to exit the gps program. And it's not just a gps thing, either.

I just want to be able to switch between applications without losing my place in them. Now that I have a 755p, it's not as big of a deal when I have to leave Blazer for another app, then return. It can still be inconvenient, at times, though.

cheers
    Yep, this is what I was saying in my first post, small programs work great. Larger ones are just timebombs.. Maybe it crashes this time, maybe next time...

Said another way.. if I just use small programs, no crashes.. If I use large ones, it WILL crash eventually.

You might also try the option in Accesserizer which is intended to help a "Crash on exit" problem, it seemed to help me a bit, but it's still not 100% stable. The option is "Compatability mode". You do not have to re-create DA's or anything, just mark it and exit.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    You might also try the option in Accesserizer which is intended to help a "Crash on exit" problem, it seemed to help me a bit, but it's still not 100% stable. The option is "Compatability mode". You do not have to re-create DA's or anything, just mark it and exit.
    Thanks, K. I hadnt noticed that option, which led me to realise my current version (0.32) was way behind the latest (0.91).

Turning on the Compatability mode seemed promising at first because TreoMemoDA didnt cause a reset when accessed via Blazer, but when I returned to Blazer, the page I had left was cleared. Worse, the process had done something quite nasty to my net connecting ability- I couldnt do any web or email stuff.

Nothing a hard reset couldnt fix of course, but Ive decided to stick with the older version of Accessorizer. Its resets never seemed to be of the problematic kind. Even with its problems, Acc'r still an incredibly useful app.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  12.    #12  
    I appreciate the info, but third-party software has made my 755p unstable enough, as it is. I'm very hesitant to decrease that stability even more.
    one of the main reasons i switched to the 700wx was because of Kinoma's non-background playback.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    one of the main reasons i switched to the 700wx was because of Kinoma's non-background playback.
    Where's the green-with-envy emoticon?
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    What's the point of background video playing!?
    Thanks, K. I hadnt noticed that option, which led me to realise my current version (0.32) was way behind the latest (0.91).

Turning on the Compatability mode seemed promising at first because TreoMemoDA didnt cause a reset when accessed via Blazer, but when I returned to Blazer, the page I had left was cleared. Worse, the process had done something quite nasty to my net connecting ability- I couldnt do any web or email stuff.

Nothing a hard reset couldnt fix of course, but Ive decided to stick with the older version of Accessorizer. Its resets never seemed to be of the problematic kind. Even with its problems, Acc'r still an incredibly useful app.

cheers
    Hmm, I went from .32 to .90 then .91, haven't seen anything get worse, always seems better.

Only network related problems I seem to have are never related to Accesserizer. In fact I really don't use ADA's all that much, mostly just Memo. And if that ever caused me problems I could go back to the DA I used for Memos before which was not an ADA, it was its own DA.
  17.    #17  
    What's the point of background video playing!?
    Kinoma isn't just for streaming video (although sometimes I stream music videos more for the music than the video).

There are internet radio links, podcast streaming links, and, again, video programs (music, comedy, etc.)whose audio is more important than the video.

In these cases, it would be useful to be able to play Kinoma in the background.

And, of course, there are the times when you get a text message and don't want to have to close, Kinoma, respond to the text message, reopen Kinoma, then wait for the streaming to catch up to the point where you left off.

Multi-tasking capabilities would help a great deal in such cases.

For instance, if I'm running my navigation software, I'd like to stop and make a phonecall without the navigation application closing down then having to be restarted when I get off the phone (i.e. reconnecting external devices and restarting gps logging, etc.).
    apps can do that.
    e.g. the garmin gps nav app stays running in the background when you switch away. it'll still monitor your position and give directions even if you are in the calendar.
    Butler keeps running whatever app is open.
    It really is just up to the developer to make it happen.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Kinoma isn't just for streaming video (although sometimes I stream music videos more for the music than the video).

There are internet radio links, podcast streaming links, and, again, video programs (music, comedy, etc.)whose audio is more important than the video.

In these cases, it would be useful to be able to play Kinoma in the background.

And, of course, there are the times when you get a text message and don't want to have to close, Kinoma, respond to the text message, reopen Kinoma, then wait for the streaming to catch up to the point where you left off.

Multi-tasking capabilities would help a great deal in such cases.
    Streaming video for the audio seems wasteful... Anyway.....

Pocket Tunes does streaming just fine in the background of course.. But I guess I get your point about returning to a stream. I never stream over the phone, it's uselessly slow on EDGE anyway.
  20.    #20  
    Streaming video for the audio seems wasteful... Anyway.....
    Many folks who watch the news mostl want to hear it... and, in a pinch, they'll just read it.

Regardless, there are times when life throws us curves and we settle for listening to something we were watching.

Pocket Tunes does streaming just fine in the background of course.. But I guess I get your point about returning to a stream. I never stream over the phone, it's uselessly slow on EDGE anyway.
    There's content thru Kinoma which seems easier to access. Don't we need to pay for an upgrade to Pocket Tunes for (some?) streaming?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast