Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's say Verizon calls and tells you that they're recalling the 700p, and will replace it for free with any other phone in its lineup. What would you choose, and why?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I too would like input here. Ive about had it.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Treo 650....Why because I have one, and even though it resets every now and then, my custom rom, etc. makes it a great device.
    I pondered this too and decided that no single device is currently available which provides all necessary features for a highly-portable hardware arrangement. On one hand, I was looking for a highly-portable internet-enabled microcomputer and on the other hand I discovered I'd like to have a stable cellphone. I had nearly settled for a basic cellphone which would then provide EVDO-speed bluetooth DUN to a handheld microcomputer such as a Dell Axim x51v, a Nokia 800, or perhaps an OQO 02, but went with a BB plus a travel-specific EVDO-enabled laptop instead (Thinkpad X61s.)

I'm curious what others might suggest.

@cadman: You're right, 650 wasn't bad. If you're a CAD guy, here's a question for you: I'm up all night trying to invert the light and dark regions of a 5" square photolithographic mask I designed in AutoCAD which contains >200,000 elements. Aside from redrawing the entire mask, can you suggest a means to invert which areas are filled and not filled in a 2-D space? Thx if any ideas, I'm not around any CAD experts as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
    Let's say Verizon calls and tells you that they're recalling the 700p, and will replace it for free with any other phone in its lineup. What would you choose, and why?
    there's not much in the way of choices! no 755; no xv6800. it's going to be either a 700wx or a bb8830

i would probably go for a 700wx, but only as a stop-gap while bide out the end of my contact in december. i have a growing itch to try a symbian phone.
    That's the big problem, especially for Verizon. There is no equivalent replacment for the 700P. Palm has really hurt themselves by messing up a great device that has tons of potential. I think Verizon relied too much on Palm to produce great products and now they are getting shafted. Although not a huge percentage of their business, I'll bet vzw is loosing smartphone users to Sprint and ATT.
    [@cadman: You're right, 650 wasn't bad. If you're a CAD guy, here's a question for you: I'm up all night trying to invert the light and dark regions of a 5" square photolithographic mask I designed in AutoCAD which contains >200,000 elements. Aside from redrawing the entire mask, can you suggest a means to invert which areas are filled and not filled in a 2-D space? Thx if any ideas, I'm not around any CAD experts as of late.[/QUOTE]

Try doing a search at cadalyst.com for a lisp routine. Other than that, off the top of my head, I don't have anything.
    Mods I think I need to change my name
    BB 8830, and then I could complain about all I miss on my Palm devices.

Here is hoping they can "fix" the problems. Really, i studied what is out there - i have no desire at the moment change. I have no desire for a WM device (they buying software for me to USE it since I have a Mac????), the BB is still lacking in areas i need applications for.....

Time will tell what happens....
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Mods I think I need to change my name
    LOL, I need to change mine - it's spelled wrong!

Tracey
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Since someone has officially asked this question for me its an BB 8830. WHy .. well since my work gives me a BB 7520 I've already become accustomed on using it. I was able to port all my contacts/memo/tasks/calender stuff over to it with no problem. Yes I will lose a camera (which i rarely use) and some functionality of the aging PalmOS. But what would I get in return??... A very stable device that does what its suppose to do with phenominal Bluetooth support. \

BTW.. did i mention it has built in native mp3 ringtone playback for your contacts?
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 08/13/2007 at 09:09 AM.
    I went with the BB 8830 on Friday, and I'm liking it more everyday. I've had a bit of a learning curve. While the 700P is definitly better at somethings (when it worked), my 8830 hasn't reset or crashed and I'm finding it either has pretty much everything I want or I can get it as an add on app. Some BB third party apps are a generation behind their Palm version (literally with Splash ID) but they work. Others, like Docs to Go and SlingPlayer, don't exist yet, but their are other wrod processing programs.

While I still miss some things about the 700P, I miss less and less as I use the BB. Not having to worry about crahses, resets, network disconnects, bluetooth problems and incompatible apps is great. I feel like a long nagging headache has finally gone away and I'm beginning to just trust my smart phone.

But that's just me on day 3. All opinions are my own and subject to change.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Is there a phone that has each of the following features:

High speed internet;
    built in GPS;
    Audio/Video capability;
    wifi;
    Qwerty keyboard (ala Treo, doesn't have to be a slide out);
    memory card slot;
    camera; and
    compatible w/ Sprint's network....
    Last edited by msgott; 08/13/2007 at 01:13 PM.
    I think the Helio Ocean might fit that bill, msgott.

Verizon swapped my 700p for a 700wx and I couldn't be happier. It hasn't crashed on me once, it multitasks, and while some functions are a few clicks deeper than on PalmOS, overall the experience is much better.
    N95...if it was available on the V or Sprint. I'm really close to moving to ATT just so I can get at the unlocked GSM world...unlocked phones are more expensive but at least I'd have more than 3 choices to find a phone I like. Dosent Sprint's PDA phone offerings border on anemic and boring? Perhaps the V's too...

If you are still hanging in there with Palm (I guess I am) then the 755 would be a decent upgrade (coming to V soon, I hear.) Sprint gave me one last week for my most recent crapped out 700p with no contract update and so far it's been a decent replacement for all the reasons detailed in other posts. Battery life blows, and I have to rebuy mini SD cards, but otherwise it's a 700p that uncharacteristically works. Oh, and you gotta love the rubberized skin...

If had been required to update my contract I would have probably looked at the Mogul, the BB, or even the WX (or told them to blow, payed the termination fee, and got to GSM). Most likely I'd have picked a Mogul but may have sprung on the BB for a week to give it a spin...I've never used a BB.

Question: DO you have to get the BB service with a BB or will it be able to do email with a Exchange server with only the Sprint data package?
    Last edited by GoogleNerd; 08/13/2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    BB8830 or 755 (when available) would be my selections. The consistent lack of EVDO and 1xx service is frustrating although the reduced lag has been a pleasure. I would miss Agendus and eReader if I went to the BB8830 but it is a nice device and email is very quick.
  16.    #16  
    What about phones that are available now? Assume waiting isn't an option.
    Per SonnyS' recent and seemingly satisfying migration to a 700wx, I'm currently testing a (borrowed) 700wx alongside a modern BB. As of yet, I think SonnyS is spot-on in his analysis that the 700wx is more stable than the 700p and I regret that I didn't select a 700p a year ago. After some testing, I suspect that f I had started w/ a 700wx I would still own a Treo.

I'll post an update if I can further develop SonnyS' recent insights regarding the 700wx.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I am going with the HTC-S710

J
    I'm liking my BB 8830 more and more each day.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    the only thing I didnt care for on 8830 is no camera or did I miss it?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast