Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr1000 View Post
    I am going with the HTC-S710

J
    Where will you be getting it from? Is there a way to make it work on Sprint's network?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Nope, just GSM and I always buy ebay. Open unlocked GSM is more expensive for the phone but I travel all over the world and usually have a SIM card by country.

I had a TyTn and did not have any problems. The 710 is smaller.

Other than the usual problems, my main complain with the 700p is broken contacts for the charger and I am only able to charge it with the computer. So I decided not only to change the 700p but to change networks as well.

J
    Treo 755p is coming to Verizon very very soon. Was on with tech support today getting my 5th Treo phone sent to me. He would not confirm the release date, but did admit that they are in training and have been so for the last four weeks or so. I would like to give the 755 a shot first before I go back to smoke signals and carrier pigeons.
    "and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    I am no fan of Windows on the desktop, but after several days of testing a 700wx, my feeling is that WinCE works just fine (especially in comparison to OS5). I keep finding positive surprises with the 700wx such as the following:

It works as advertised.
    It doesn't hang when calls come in.
    Call signal reception has noticably less dropouts.
    The speakerphone sounds better to other callers (did direct tests).
    Call audio sounds better on my side.
    Google Maps has a 'Track Location' GPS feature built-in (GM is one of my favorite apps).
    It seems to switch between apps faster.
    It multitasks and feels like a computer, not a 'POS' (choose your own definition for this acronym).
    Bluetooth actually works. I had given up on it completely with the 700p.
    Application development for this platform seems sufficient.
    +WiFi.

On the downside, the screen is lower resolution but my feeling is that at least I feel like using it in the first place. Also the video recorder shows lower-quality video when played over the phone. I hope the video looks better when played on a real computer, but I haven't checked yet.

In short, the 700wx does everything I expected the 700p to do when I bought the 700p a year ago. It may not be perfect (according to the 700wx thread on TC) but the stability is in another league in comparison with the OS5-based device (at least in comparison to the two I owned in the last year).

If you're struggling with a 700p, I'd definitely recommend the wx for usability improvement.

@cadman: thanks.

@SonnyS: you're right about the 700wx, thanks for your numerous details regarding its improvements over the 700p as I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
    What about phones that are available now? Assume waiting isn't an option.
    Last edited by 700p_isaheadache; 08/15/2007 at 04:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackey Guy View Post
    Treo 755p is coming to Verizon very very soon. Was on with tech support today getting my 5th Treo phone sent to me. He would not confirm the release date, but did admit that they are in training and have been so for the last four weeks or so. I would like to give the 755 a shot first before I go back to smoke signals and carrier pigeons.
    TRUE! My Verizon rep (I handle mobility for my company) just informed me the Treo 755p is coming! My 700p is still in great shape and although it resets more than I'd like, overall I still love the device. I'm undecided as to whether I'll spend $200 to move up to the 755p. I am eligible in November for "every two" discount, but am hoping Palm comes out with something new, like the rumored "Gandolf"

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...images-leaked/
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    I'm liking my BB 8830 more and more each day. It's not perfect, by any means, but it is a great improvement (for me) over the 700P, even without the MR issues. Of course, some of that has to do with my office supporting BB. They also support Goodlink on the POS, but like all things Palm, it could be flakey and crash the 700P. I still haven't had one crash on the BB.
    BBs are too limited an OS for my tastes. Can't add personalized software.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    BBs are too limited an OS for my tastes. Can't add personalized software.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "personalized software," but you can add third-party apps to the BB 8830. I've already added Splash Id and a couple of games. It's true that there aren't nearly as many apps for the BB, and some of what is available is not as advanced as for the Palm OS or is more expensive. But I had reached the point where I had removed most third-party apps from my Treo in a futile effort to stop it from randomly crashing. So, that wasn't a major trade-off for me. The one I reall do miss is SlingPlayer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12