Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm going to call Verizon to request a credit for my "unlimited data" feature for this month, and maybe request to cancel the data plan until things get fixed. I just have a feeling they will say it's Palm's error and they won't honor it. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    the video... too much?
    No, I think that just about says it all. LOL
    Just called VZW, got a $40 credit for the data plan for this month, and will be receiving a replacement 700P, with the previous firmware version..
    Fingers crossed!!
    Palm does it again!
    I'm so glad I switched to the Blackberry.
    at Palm

Incredible.

The video was totally appropriate.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    The video is crazy right. Palm seems to have no idea what they are doing. Can someone tell me why we hang on to these devices even though they cause us so much trouble?
    From my view, Palm appears to be uninterested in investing time and effort into their legacy models. The Palm developers have surely known for some time that their platform was not capable of performing on par with others and as a result have invested in an alternative kernel (Linux) which sadly for all is not available yet. No doubt the recent marketing push towards the 'Foleo' is their attempt to proclaim that they can indeed offer a capable OS but as many users have pointed out on this board, Palm currently offers no sufficient (i.e. stable) phone with which to parter to the Foleo.

It is amazing to me that Palm can treat its customers so poorly and still expect to have a userbase poised to invest in their 2.0 products when those products might become available. In my case, I was a long-time Palm user and suffered through continuous headaches with my 700p until last week, when Verizon agreed to overnight-ship an alternative phone to me free of charge. In my case, I am much indebted to Verizon for their excellent support when I finally decided to aggressively solve my 700p problems via their customer services. Much to my surprise, I merely initiated two phone calls to Verizon and sustained one callback from a Verizon 'manager' whom agreed to ship me a new phone within 5 minutes of discussion. In my case, Palm has permanently lost me as a (frequent) buyer of their products, and I am now an even stronger advocate of Verizon for their excellent customer service.

In response to your comment listed below, I'd like to offer an additional sentiment: Palm is losing their base. This is evidenced by the recent ChangeWave survey (url: http://www.changewave.com/freeconten...al-080107.html ) which found that (in July 2007) Palm was next to last in 'very satisfied' users and that three times as many respondents expected to purchase a BB in the next six months than expected to purchase a Treo.

Of course Palm is in a tricky position. They have a defecting user base, a new generation of products on the (far) horizon, and little to (currently) show for the last few years of 'research'. Whereas we all know Palm is extremely hesitant to admit problems or invest in coders to fix past issues such as the 700-series phones, neither of these offerings are needed to survey Palm's current position. We only need to consider their stock price, their current standing with their customers, and their recent need to sell a major fraction of the company to raise short-term cash in order to understand Palm's direction. To me, it is clear that Palm is not a platform with which I would like to remain, and I found the current excitement regarding the MR as a legitimate means to plead for a new phone from Verizon (thanks Verizon!)

After pulling away from Palm, a major source of frustration has instantaneously disappeared from my work routine. I too wonder, why do people keep their Treos if their Treos do not work (mine certainly didn't)?

This is probably my last post since I am now beyond the Treo, so I wish you all well and thank you for the many helpful posts.

>Can someone tell me why we hang on to these devices even though they
    >cause us so much trouble?"
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts

Well, I've been using Palm OS since the beginning and have always loved the simplicity of it. I also loved when they increased functionality over the years. For the few quirks once or twice a day, 99% of the rest of the day it works as advertised. I really haven't seen a more complete device in the Verizon menu regarding phones. Thats why I hang on to mine.
    700p_isaheadache

I share practically identical sentiments. Im sure you read my complaint. I stated that Palm Inc has pretty much diverted resources into other products and updates for those products while keeping the 700P userbase on the sidelines. Verizon as much as might have lack of respect from people has done nothing but bent over backwards to assist me. I've had two phones shipped to me in the span of 1 business week. I've played ball with verizon and even Palm with the issue.

Instead of this continuous charade of "life is peachy". I'm somewhat glad that they've publicly acknowledged there is an issue.

Too little too late?

Yes there are people defecting over to other things.

Palm stock @ $14
    RIM stock @ $ 207

I guess this shows who is doing the right thing.
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 08/12/2007 at 11:53 PM.
    <edit>
    Criticism of Palm and responses to others removed in order to avoid dragging this thread towards a slug-fest against Palm.

Best of luck Palm.
    -B
    </edit>
    Last edited by 700p_isaheadache; 08/13/2007 at 12:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 700p_isaheadache View Post
    From my view, Palm appears to be uninterested in investing time and effort into their legacy models. The Palm developers have surely known for some time that their platform was not capable of performing on par with others and as a result have invested in an alternative kernel (Linux) which sadly for all is not available yet. No doubt the recent marketing push towards the 'Foleo' is their attempt to proclaim that they can indeed offer a capable OS but as many users have pointed out on this board, Palm currently offers no sufficient (i.e. stable) phone with which to parter to the Foleo.

It is amazing to me that Palm can treat its customers so poorly and still expect to have a userbase poised to invest in their 2.0 products when those products might become available. In my case, I was a long-time Palm user and suffered through continuous headaches with my 700p until last week, when Verizon agreed to overnight-ship an alternative phone to me free of charge. In my case, I am much indebted to Verizon for their excellent support when I finally decided to aggressively solve my 700p problems via their customer services. Much to my surprise, I merely initiated two phone calls to Verizon and sustained one callback from a Verizon 'manager' whom agreed to ship me a new phone within 5 minutes of discussion. In my case, Palm has permanently lost me as a (frequent) buyer of their products, and I am now an even stronger advocate of Verizon for their excellent customer service.

In response to your comment listed below, I'd like to offer an additional sentiment: Palm is losing their base. This is evidenced by the recent ChangeWave survey (url: http://www.changewave.com/freeconten...al-080107.html ) which found that (in July 2007) Palm was next to last in 'very satisfied' users and that three times as many respondents expected to purchase a BB in the next six months than expected to purchase a Treo.

Of course Palm is in a tricky position. They have a defecting user base, a new generation of products on the (far) horizon, and little to (currently) show for the last few years of 'research'. Whereas we all know Palm is extremely hesitant to admit problems or invest in coders to fix past issues such as the 700-series phones, neither of these offerings are needed to survey Palm's current position. We only need to consider their stock price, their current standing with their customers, and their recent need to sell a major fraction of the company to raise short-term cash in order to understand Palm's direction. To me, it is clear that Palm is not a platform with which I would like to remain, and I found the current excitement regarding the MR as a legitimate means to plead for a new phone from Verizon (thanks Verizon!)

After pulling away from Palm, a major source of frustration has instantaneously disappeared from my work routine. I too wonder, why do people keep their Treos if their Treos do not work (mine certainly didn't)?

This is probably my last post since I am now beyond the Treo, so I wish you all well and thank you for the many helpful posts.

so what did YOU get?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW

Being a Treo user since the introduction of the 600 to vzw. I was hooked once I got my hands on it. I've owned other phones but the form factor, ease of use, and just an all around great smarthphone has kept me using Palm. I guess I to me at least, I have a bit of hope that Palm can somehow pull through and surprise me with a fix these issues with the 700p, or come out with a "WOW" product in the near future. That's the only way I will keep using Palm. If not, I guess my next choice would be BB.
    Just my .02.
    I converged on a BB for voice and some data. For larger data jobs, I stuck a Verizon PCMCIA EVDO card in a Thinkpad X61S. I'm not sure how the X61S compares to Palm's laptop-like offering, but with a decent low voltage dual-core CPU and a 7200 RPM HD it is 'instant on' and portable enough for me (less than 3 lbs. carrying weight.)

In retrospect I would have kept the Treo if it were more stable since my primary goal was remote computer operation (command-line interface using SSH) via EVDO and a bluetooth Treo keyboard. The (several) keyboards I tried kept resetting the handset, and I just couldn't get any work done. I think my expectation of this setup to work was within reason considering the advertised functionality by Palm.

I am very satisfied with my X61S and wish I would have re-worked my portable setup sooner and notwithstanding my technical troubles over the last year, I still like to remain as portable as possible with hardware. The Treo clearly is not stable enough for work purposes and after our joint troubleshooting experiences it seems almost comical to expect it to 'just work'-- I wish Palm would work on improving their quality control a bit faster as the form factor is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    so what did YOU get?
    Last edited by 700p_isaheadache; 08/13/2007 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuan831 View Post
    ... or come out with a "WOW" product in the near future. That's the only way I will keep using Palm. If not, I guess my next choice would be BB.
    Just my .02.
    I'm with you. My first smartphone was the Treo300. Despite the trash talk from my kids about having "the world's largest cell phone" with that one, I've always loved the expandability of POS + 3rd party apps giving me the ability to have just about all the info I'd every need available thru the phone.

I've always trash talked the BB, but I may have to eat my words. IMHO the Curve is finally a worthy competitor to the Treo and I've figured out how to get just about all the 3rd party app functionality I need. When it comes out on Sprint/EVDO, I'll probably jump. I will miss Slingbox though and just hope Sling does the port once streaming video is supported.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    The video was completely appropriate, though I don't feel even IT did justice to the idiocy that has been Palm's efforts over the last year. They have released, what? Four models of Treo (680, 750, 755, 700wx, what am I missing?) SINCE the 700p while it still languishes in errors and mediocrity?

Utterly ridiculous. If it were up to me, I would have had harsher words and video clips on the report than were actually written.
  16. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Love the video as well. The headline made me LOL, until I realized the joke's on me for owning a 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    the video... too much?
    Too much?

Not at all, Sir.. not at all.

A little Benny Hill would have worked as well

Jim
    Everyone is letting them off the hook on the 700p- what about the disaster that the 650 was? This isn't a case of Palm focusing on the next generation- unless you want to say that started before they launched the 650. And what is taking them so long then?

My 700p works for the most part- but I don't do a lot with it- mainly email and some web browsing and the occasional microsoft file that I need to open.

I've looked at BBs- the best BB I had was the 7100 that I had for one job- but I have a hard time going out to buy that version which is how old?

I don't know if I am sold on the new track device on the new ones.

I've spent good money on the 600, the 650 and now the 700. I've been forgiving to a fault. If palm wants to keep me as a customer, they better have something up their sleeve that is a lot better than the Fooleo!
    Well, received my replacement 700P yesterday. Was told that it would have the previous OS. Once I turned it on.. well it had V 1.10. I tried my luck and used the data network and it seemed to be working okay last night for about 20-30 minutes. Then the ERROR 3000 appeared. I'm back to square one again. Called verizon but nothing they can do at this point. They advised me to just wait for the update MR and they apologized for the previous rep's mis-communication.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast