1.    #1  
    So just like the title says, the Treo took a dunk in a porta-potty. I was catching up on the news and it fell out of my hand into the drink.

And yes, I fished it out, after quickly wrapping my arm in a garbage bag.

The 680 was submerged for about 3 minutes.

I took it completely apart when I got home and swabbed it out with lots of rubbing alcohol. The smell is gone. I let it dry out for a week.

So now, it will power up, and I get the boot screen. However, after that, the "set date and time screen" comes up, and the screen has this weird faint flicker, and it wont respond to the anything- stylus, buttons. I think its dead.

Anyone have any ideas how to bring it back to life?
    I wonder if it is fully dry. Spouses went into a pool but not for 3 minutes, thought it was a goner but it took a week to dry.

Take it apart and try drying it more.
    In for 3-minutes, huh? If it were me I would consider it a loss per the 5-second rule. Seriously, it probably isn't 100% dry. Hopefully nothing got fried when you powered it on. Give it a few more days. Good luck.
    I had accidentally my 650 dipped on a juice for about a minute. Took the battery out, dried it externally 'cuz I did not have a way to open it up.

Finally got home and opened it and found the some surface mount components are burned off.

No recovery for me.
    Crappy...

If you powered it on while it was still damp, you've probably done damage already. And it's likely the battery is damaged regardless.

Let it dry out more, make sure there's no 'residue' etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want it near my face after that.
    Oh **** dude ...

I hope it will be ok, that's some serious **** that Treo took.
    Mine took a three second dunk in the Mediterranean. Pulled the battery first thing, dried, etc., waited, and finally risked powering it up again a few days later. I never regained full performance--the "p" key never worked again, and the red power button completly lost function, I had to reset every time I wanted to hang up the phone, and had to work around the p with shortcuts and the onscreen keyboard, but finally bought a new one. It sounds to me like you burnt out some circuits here and there and you'll be much happier with a new one, especially with the $ 50 price cut. It's a pretty reasonably priced phone.
    i was a poor college student

300$ > poopy phone

you my friend are hard core never leave a wounded soldier behind
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want it near my face after that.
    No doubt.
    That my friend takes the cake as far as submerged Treo stories go. I would have definitely written that baby off. I detest setting foot in those stink boxes. No way I'd have fished out my Treo, arm condom or not.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Somewhere here there is a thread about an identical experience with either a 600 or 650, so there are at least two cakes to be taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by dursofd View Post
    So just like the title says, the Treo took a dunk in a porta-potty. I was catching up on the news and it fell out of my hand into the drink.

And yes, I fished it out, after quickly wrapping my arm in a garbage bag.

The 680 was submerged for about 3 minutes.

I took it completely apart when I got home and swabbed it out with lots of rubbing alcohol. The smell is gone. I let it dry out for a week.

So now, it will power up, and I get the boot screen. However, after that, the "set date and time screen" comes up, and the screen has this weird faint flicker, and it wont respond to the anything- stylus, buttons. I think its dead.

Anyone have any ideas how to bring it back to life?
    How full was that porta-potty or how long are your arms?
    thats the question
  14.    #14  
    So, three weeks later and heres the scoop.

The Treo fires up no problem. The PDA is fine, and the phone works with one exception: Something is jacked up with the speakers, both the rear speaker phone and the earpiece. Theres sound coming out of both, but its highly distorted. So I am wondering if the problem is:

1. Both speakers got fried
    2. Something on the motherboard that drives the sound got fried

Any ideas???
    Quote Originally Posted by dursofd View Post
    So, three weeks later and heres the scoop.

The Treo fires up no problem. The PDA is fine, and the phone works with one exception: Something is jacked up with the speakers, both the rear speaker phone and the earpiece. Theres sound coming out of both, but its highly distorted. So I am wondering if the problem is:

1. Both speakers got fried
    2. Something on the motherboard that drives the sound got fried

Any ideas???
    Probably got some crap in there..

wait.....
  16.    #16  
    Literally..

Just another note...I tried my stereo headphones and I have the same problem which has me even more convinced that its the audio driver on the motherboard and not the speakers