1.    #1  
    Hi. After lurking for months, I've finally registered to post. I know this question has been asked in different forms, but as time and use of the 680 progresses, opinions might change. I have been a longtime Palm user (Handspring Visor and now Sony Clie), and am tired of carrying both a PDA and a phone w/ me, and want to combine the two. The calendar is really important to me and I am very comfortable w/ the Palm, as well as phone reception. It sounds like the 680 might be a good marriage between the two. I don't care as much about internet use.
    My questions are: Have the problems w/ the 680 been sufficiently dealt w/ by the upgrades, and is it possible that they aren't even that extensive in that only people w/ problems tend to post about them?
    Is there a new Palm product in the pipeline that I should wait for?
    Is there an alternative PDA phone that might better suit my needs?
    I thank you in advance for your opionions. Advice is greatly appreciated.
    I manage 20+ Treo users all of which we combined just for the one device reason. 7 of those are 680 users, 2 of them have no data plans just use it as a phone with extras. The only constant complaint I get is the battery life. But from those two users (with no data) they actually are fine with the battery life. If the battery life isn't okay then get the 1600 Seidio battery. As far as stability from my point of view I think the 680 is better than the 650 was. For all of us the were grafitti users the keyboard took a couple days to get used to and we are all glad to have switched.

YMMV
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I started on Palms w/ a 3Com Palm Personal, then a Pro, and progressed to a Tungsten T3. The earlier Treos didn't attract me...I was a heavy Palm user, and preferred to have my phone separate. Finally the inconvenience of multiple contact lists, etc., got to me. So I started researching, and it was last November, just as the 680 was released. Bought one immediately, and haven't regretted it one second. After using it for several months, I even convinced my wife (herself a heavy Palm Tungsten user) to consolidate down to one device, a 680. Within a week, she fell in love with it so hard that she's already gifted her T3 to a friend. She's a 680 lover too.

Yes the battery life could be better right out of the box, but go ahead and spend the $50 for an extended Seidio 1600 battery right away, and you're set, plus you have the original battery as a spare.

Other than the battery life, the 680 has a single glaring flaw that is common to all Treos: the headset jack is prone to breakage. It has happened to me twice in 9 months, each time requiring a warranty replacement of the 680 by Palm.
    My Treo 680 was my first Treo and has been a disappointment for me. It's too heavy, too fragile (headset jack problems & navigation button feels like it is about fail any minute), and call quality is just marginal. Basically Palm has really stopped developing this device & platform but people keep buying it because there have been very few other options for smart phone users.

Keep in mind that i LOVE my Tungsten E2. Really phenomenal device. Super long battery life, extremely durable, and uses SD cards. Home run. But I can't even imagine being able to say the same about a Treo. There is nothing to love. It's more like I put up with it because I need certain features and I really cannot deal with a windows mobile device. I like the Palm OS because it is really logical and fairly user friendly but it's been around too long and badly needs an update to better work as a phone device as well as a pda.
    I had the Treo 680 which was also my first Treo. I didn't mind it, but as everyone else can attest to, the battery life is sadly lacking.

I've recently switched to an HTC TyTN WM 6 device and it is everything and more that I've wanted (including WiFi). I can go a whole day making use of every feature of my TyTN and still have between 40-50% of my battery left.

The Treo isn't a bad device, but looking back now, I can see that it definitely wasn't for me and I shouldn't have bought it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your responses.
    So, some good some bad. It seems like there's no perfect pda phone.
    Any more advice?
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Had the Clie' switched to the treo 600 now using the 680 they all have quirks/shortcomings even the iphone, I have been lucky to have had 2 great treos with no problems, it all depends how YOU use it. but if you like palm os you will like the 680
    Quote Originally Posted by karenrm@comcast.net View Post
    Thanks for your responses.
    So, some good some bad. It seems like there's no perfect pda phone.
    Any more advice?
    As ktm97 mentioned as well, it's really personal preference as to what will work best for you. As you said, "there is no perfect PDA Phone", and you're absolutely correct.

If you have a friend with a Treo, see if you can give it a going over and see what you think. Do the same for a WM device (I'd definitely suggest a TyTN) and see which you like better.

Give yourself a chance to decide instead of making an impulse buy (like I did with my Treo) because ultimately it's a waste of money to buy something you aren't completely happy with.
    I am one of those who really hate the 680 defects. As stated here, and I would agree, the biggest flaws are the battery--which is a FLAW with capital letters--and the audio jack, which in my experience is simply waiting to break. Those flaws are so serious it has been difficult for me to accept the rest of the phone, but I have to say that this is a hell of a phone, except for those two and a few other less important defects. Candidly, I simply love the 680, because I can do almost anything I want with it (except use a wired headset and use the phone intensively for more than 15-20 hours, the upper limit made possible by the Seidio 1600 which is absolutely essential if you are going to use all the power of the 680 and want a moderately long day's use out of it). It is an almost ideal smart phone, it seems to me. That said, the only reason I have it instead of a competitor, is I depend upon lots of outside apps (tide tool, dictionaries, thesaurus, Chatter, etc.) that are only made for Palm. But if you are a Palm person, I would think this is the only solution.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

I have been reading a bit about new Palm products based on a Linux operating system (not that I really even know what that is). Is there something coming down the pipeline that might be worth waiting for? Does anyone know how that changes the Treo?
    I just ordered my treo 680 from palm for $350. I was going to get it on ebay for $300, but rather pay the extra $50 knowing I am getting the real thing.
    I think the Palm Linux versions are around a year away. I think the images we recently saw of a "new" prototype look to be a smaller lower end device similar to the Zire series on the handheld side. Having been on the original wave of the 680 and before that with the 650 having others find the problems makes for a less frustrating switch. With the 650 we had a few months of the CDMA versions working out the memory issues etc. The 680 battery fubar was a very real issue and I did not recommend it until there were battery options. The 680 is stable, as with any complex device there are things about it I dislike but overall I like it the best of all my PalmOS units (except maybe my HE330 but that had battery issues too). Palm does have a 30 day return policy so you can try it out and return it if you doesn't work out.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I bought a 650 two and a half years ago for the very reasons you describe -- it just didn't seem to make sense to pull out my cell and PDA to dial someone.

there seem to be a few h/w issues, but I haven't come up against them. if you don't talk on the phone all day long, the battery won't be a problem -- I can get through the day with plenty of juice to spare, and if I anticipate using the phone more I bring a spare.

the headset jack hasn't given me trouble, then again I don't use it -- for calls I use a bluetooth earpiece, and for listening to music I have an mp3 player.

applications like TomTom and Sunrise/Plucker have proven to be icing on the cake.
    I got my 680 a few weeks ago, upgraded from a 650. I got the 650 when it first came out because it was a hassle carrying a separate phone from my Tungsten. Have not regretted it.

So far so good. Just like the others, I find the battery life not as long as on my 650, but it suffices for me. Now if only the 680 had wifi...
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I got my 680 in May. It was my first Treo, my first Palm, my first PDA. I was amazed at what can be done with a portable phone. If you are a heavy calendar user, I strongly recommend Agendus software for Palm OS. It takes a bit to learn, the User Manual is not written for theTreo, but the reward is worth it.

The battery issue is a real one. A phone charge must last from morning til night. That's a minimum. Yet, I was surprized, on this forum and on others, by the number of people willing to run around with a spare battery in their pocket. I would never settle for that. There are two extended batteries available from Seidio. The bigger one will make the phone bulky and even heavier than it is. I am a man and carry my phone on my belt, so that's not an issue. For a woman, it might be different.

In summary, my advice would be: get the 680, it's a good smart phone. Get Agendus software for it and try using the phone with the original battery for a few charges, say a week. Do what they call "a soft reset." That will tell you whetther you need an extended batter from Seidio and which one. Don't buy any cradles or holsters until you have made up your mind on the battery.

Hope this has helped.
    I use an unlocked Treo 680 with no dataplan. Battery life is OK for me (2,5 days of moderate use).

The problems mentioned before have not occurred to me (signal strength, headphone jack, etc). Unfortunately it seems that quality of device depends on where it was made in. I bought mine directly from Palm.com... No issues whatsoever.

my opinion is simple as that: If you need wifi go get something else. If you prefer keyboard over wifi then get a Treo 680. It is amazing how many things you can do with that phone (even with just one hand)
    I used lots of Treo devices; the 680 is the best for me. I mainly use calendar and standard phone features. I can't live without DateBk and its 'floating events'.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
  18.    #18  
    Matro...that's how I feel about my Clie. I appreciate everyone's input. I think I will be going w/ the Treo. It seems like most of the problems I've read about were avoided by those w/ unlocked Treos, so that might be the way to go for me. I've been a Cingular/ATT customer for many years, but am thinking of switching to t-mobile at the end of the year when my contract is up. This will also leave that option open for me.
    Locked and unlocked have absolutely nothing to do with power consumption. Most of those here who posted about the problem, in fact, have unlocked phones if you count the posts.
    about the power issue, I think most depends on your usage. it's not an issue for me because my Treo is often near my computer at work, linked with a retractable sync/charge cable, and that's all.

I use internet connection very rarely, due to shame italian data plans, but I use bluetooth a lot.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro