Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. blob's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hot off the press. Seidio has come out with a new 44,000 MA Battery. It is garanteed to last a whole night so that your alarm will wake you in the morning.

    Just when I was about to give up on my 680 because of quite possibly the worst battery life of any electronic device I have ever owned.

    This new battery comes with an aluminum frame backpack and a very quiet diesel generator. Weighing in at 80 pounds, it is not for the unfit but many will appreciate the smart and dazzling look of the executive backpack/harness battery holder. Generator will kick in when battery reaches approximately 10% of it's charge which is estimated to be in approximately 2 hours of standby. Please use in well ventilated areas when generator is operating.

    By the way, this is a joke ;-) but anyone else thinking that this may be the only way to get some decent battery life out of this unit?
  2. #2  
    Just get a spare battery. It wouldn't matter then. Besides, the Seidio 1600 battery is pretty good, from reading that other thread.

    It's friday mang! Chill out!
  3. #3  
    The new battery is not too bad--it still doesn't come close to the 650 battery life, but the phone is useable with this battery. Not super useable, but with this battery it is no longer true to say it is defective. It works. Faint praise I must say, but...it works. EOS.
  4. #4  
    I made a try

    I charged the battery at night.. disconnected from cable at 8-9 in the morning and the battery lasted for 1.5 days with a moderate usage...

    For me it's good.. I dont preted the battery lasts for 1 week on a Treo! I made the battery reset...
  5. ktm97's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    #5  
    The problem with the generator is the fuel tank is too small, mine keeps running out of fuel in the middle of a charge.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah blah BLAH BLAH BLAH

    By the way, this is a joke ;-) but anyone else thinking that this may be the only way to get some decent battery life out of this unit?
    Get a clue, the battery lasts 3+ days for my with with moderate voice and text usage, no data usage.

    Online cata usage, such as push IMAP, WILL drain your battery, but no worse than others, just it has a smaller battery.
  7. #7  
    Get real. The battery lasts about half a day with data usage. The 680 is designed for data usage, so when used for its intended use, it fails with the battery designed for it. And, to the contrary, push is FAR worse than others, less than half the 650, an outdated design several years old by now, but still better in terms of data usage and power supply, than the 680. With the Seidio 1600 battery, it does now last a day, but there is no need to fall down on the Palm altar to be realistic about its performance.
  8. #8  
    I've been using the new Seidio 680 battery since I received it on Tuesday. Performance isn't spectacular but it's a definite improvement on the stock battery.
  9. OnTheFly's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #9  
    I'm amazed at the different battery experiences on this site (and even sometimes in my own experience). I've had my 680 since last Thanksgiving and have never really had a battery issue. I use it for data mostly and moderate calling. I often get through the day and have plenty of juice left in the tank (40%). About 3-4 times I have picked up my palm to discover the battery warning flashing, but that's when I have left Sudoku running when I turned off the screen or the phone (speaker?) didn't really hang up when I turned the screen off after a call. But 3-4 random times in 9 months isn't bad by my book!

    Anyway, maybe we all have different understandings of "moderate" use...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Get a clue, the battery lasts 3+ days for my with with moderate voice and text usage, no data usage.

    Online cata usage, such as push IMAP, WILL drain your battery, but no worse than others, just it has a smaller battery.
    Just because you personally don't use data doesn't mean that everyone else should follow your lead in order to get below average usage out of their Treo.

    I recently switched to an HTC TyTN (with WiFi) and can go a whole day of heavy usage (including voice/text, data, push email and WiFi) and still have anywhere between 40-50% of a charge left.

    The more I use my TyTN, the more I'm disappointed in the Treo 680. For some people however, the 680 will be all they need, unfortunately it wasn't the device for me.
  11. #11  
    It's more than just a matter of personal preferences--it's a matter of objective performance. If you really want to get good performance, as far as battery life is concerned, why stop at shutting down the data? You will find incredibly battery life if you just shut off the radio too. The rest of the specious argument goes something like this: if you want to use the phone, be prepared for battery life to decrease, but that doesn't mean anything at all about the battery specs, it's a result of your madcap desire to use the phone. So much for that.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    It's more than just a matter of personal preferences--it's a matter of objective performance. If you really want to get good performance, as far as battery life is concerned, why stop at shutting down the data? You will find incredibly battery life if you just shut off the radio too. The rest of the specious argument goes something like this: if you want to use the phone, be prepared for battery life to decrease, but that doesn't mean anything at all about the battery specs, it's a result of your madcap desire to use the phone. So much for that.
    I bought a smartphone to use it......not to let it sit there and admire it while the battery lasts 4 days because everything is turned off.

    People buy phones to use them and they also expect decent battery performance to come with it. Sadly, the Treo 680 fell far short in this department.
  13. braj's Avatar
    Posts
    961 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    #13  
    Yeah, with the size of Treos you'd think they had the best battery life in the business
  14. #14  
    Duh, I DO use data. Chatter is online with 1 box, QSync 3 others every 2 hours, and VeriChat is online.

    I get at least 14h on a charge, I take it off the charger at 8am or earlier and if I don't top it off during the day it'll start beeping and griping around 10. If I make light use of it during the day, no problems. If I use it heavily during the day, it'll shut off by 11pm.

    I generally plug in and top off during lunch at work and have 45% or so left by the time I plug it in at night.

    My 650 with the same load would last about 24h at most. There's nothing spectacularly wrong with the 680 here, it's simply the battery is quite small.

    As for the 680 being "all I need", come down, the horse needs to be brushed and groomed.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    As for the 680 being "all I need", come down, the horse needs to be brushed and groomed.
    If you want to interpret my comments as being an attack or insult against you, that's your own issue you have to work through as that was not my intention.

    I simply stated that the Treo 680 will be all or more than some people want out of a PDA Phone......I wanted more than it could offer and so moved to another device.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Get a clue, the battery lasts 3+ days for my with with moderate voice and text usage, no data usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Duh, I DO use data. Chatter is online with 1 box, QSync 3 others every 2 hours, and VeriChat is online.
    Please make up your mind......either you do, or you don't use data!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Khris View Post
    If you want to interpret my comments as being an attack or insult against you ... that's your own issue you have to work through as that ...



    ...
    Don't worry. It's Treophilia, coupled with something that I can only identify as reverse buyer's remorse. I, for one, have no trouble admitting that the 680 has a lot of strengths...and a lot of defects...among which, the inappropriately small battery. Most everybody has recognized that. Most.
  17. ancker's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Get real. The battery lasts about half a day with data usage. The 680 is designed for data usage, so when used for its intended use, it fails with the battery designed for it. And, to the contrary, push is FAR worse than others, less than half the 650, an outdated design several years old by now, but still better in terms of data usage and power supply, than the 680. With the Seidio 1600 battery, it does now last a day, but there is no need to fall down on the Palm altar to be realistic about its performance.
    I'm confused.

    I use data 24/7, Chattermail pushing 2 mboxes. Lots of emails, couple phone calls, ~10 text messages, probably a good hour of playing around in Blazer. Stock battery.

    Phone comes off charger at 0700, back on charger at 2300, battery normally around 40%. I once took it with me on an overnighter and forgot the charger. I turned data off overnight and then back on around 0800 it lasted until 2300 the second day with the battery around 10%.

    To me this is acceptable. I'd consider a 2400mah battery if they made one that fit the stock cover, but considering I charge every night, the 1600 or a second battery doesn't gain me much.

    Either my 680 is a fluke, or your blanket statement of "Get real. The battery lasts about half a day with data usage" is incorrect.

    /ancker
  18. OnTheFly's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #18  
    anckler, that's what I'm talking about. such varying experiences w/ the 680. Mine has been beautiful. No battery problems at all (except on the rarest of random days). Couldn't be happier. Battery far exceeds my old i500.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ancker View Post
    I'm confused.
    ...

    Either my 680 is a fluke, or your blanket statement of "Get real. The battery lasts about half a day with data usage" is incorrect.

    /ancker
    Yours appears to be a fluke. There are about a half a dozen people like you in these threads and about a hundred with the opposite experience. That's why Seidio can successfully market these batteries to a generally unhappy public.

    There is a technical explanation for the occasional longer battery life and it lies in things like little though constant data usage, and strong signal areas which more than substantially cuts down in processing and transmission power, yielding uncommonly satisfactory battery life. But generally that is not the case.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Don't worry. It's Treophilia, coupled with something that I can only identify as reverse buyer's remorse. I, for one, have no trouble admitting that the 680 has a lot of strengths...and a lot of defects...among which, the inappropriately small battery. Most everybody has recognized that. Most.
    LOL! That's a good way to look at it!

    Just as you said, there are both strengths and defects to the Treo and I'm not afraid to admit both. My personal needs however outgrew the Treo and I needed something a little more robust.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions