1.    #1  
    My contrast slider is in black and white when I'm in the Palm OS (including all aps that don't write directly to the screen), but when I'm in Avantgo, BugMe!, Backgammon, or Peanut/PalmReader, it's a nicely blended contrast bar utilizing every one of the 16 shades of gray. What gives?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I take it you have a deluxe or a solo? Since Palm OS < 3.3 doesn't natively support grayscale the programs must simulate the shades of gray. So when calls are made from while the program is running that ask for gray the program overrides the OS and draws gray rather than black. If you have a startup screen hack go to the normal launcher then turn off your visor then turn it back on and your picture that pops up will be in black and white. Now open avantgo and then turn off your visor and turn it back on.. your picture is now in grayscale .. kinda cool..
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by ashmed
    I take it you have a deluxe or a solo?
    Nope. He has an Edge, as do I.

Since Palm OS < 3.3 doesn't natively support grayscale the programs must simulate the shades of gray.
    Except that the Edge has PalmOS 3.5.2H.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #4  
    Do you notice the same thing, Toby?
    -Joshua
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by ashmed
    I take it you have a deluxe or a solo?
    Nope, an edge (as Toby mentioned). I should've mentioned that in the original post.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Do you notice the same thing, Toby?
    Yep, hence the confusion. I hadn't needed to adjust the contrast previously, but once I tried it, it behaved the same way. The only thing I can think of is this may have something to do with the _applications_. Apps that are generically written for PalmOS 3.x probably exhibit the B&W look. Apps that are aware of the higher versions can probably call the 'prettier' contrast tool. FWIW, the only two apps that display the 'prettier' one for me are AvantGo and AlbumToGo2.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Handspring's photo album does, too.

I wasn't sure if the confusion came from speculation as to what combination of drugs and/or alcohol would cause someone to start hallucinating contrast slider bars, or why the contrast bars would be different. Now I know.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Handspring's photo album does, too.

Handsprings's Photo Album...????? Is that software that was pre-installed on Edge's... what is it?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    You may want to try a program called Screen Prefs. It is not a hack, but it is accesses in the Prefs set up. It gives you a choice of B&W, 4 greys and 16 greys. This give me 16 greys on most of the programs on my Platnum.

My only problem with the program is that it has to be reset if you do a soft reset, I wish it was a hack.

Freeware from MikeMcColloster
    Howard
    Originally posted by hloakes
    You may want to try a program called Screen Prefs. It is not a hack, but it is accesses in the Prefs set up. It gives you a choice of B&W, 4 greys and 16 greys. This give me 16 greys on most of the programs on my Platnum.

My only problem with the program is that it has to be reset if you do a soft reset, I wish it was a hack.

Freeware from MikeMcColloster
    Not freeware anymore . Mike upgraded the software to "cripple-ware". The settings will now survive a soft reset if you pay for the product. That's the only new feature and that's they only crippled feature (until you pay of course)....
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by smittyofdhs

Not freeware anymore . Mike upgraded the software to "cripple-ware". The settings will now survive a soft reset if you pay for the product. That's the only new feature and that's they only crippled feature (until you pay of course)....
    I did not know that. $5 is not bad, and I will probably register it soon.

Thanks for the info.
    Howard
    Originally posted by hloakes

I did not know that. $5 is not bad, and I will probably register it soon.

Thanks for the info.
    I just got trying the new version with the survive reset option. It still needs a little work. When you come back up from a soft reset, the color option does retain correctly except now the contrast slider is pushed even farther to the right (hogher setting). Which makes everything really dark.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by smittyofdhs

Handsprings's Photo Album...????? Is that software that was pre-installed on Edge's... what is it?
    It's a photo album Handspring offers for free. It's designed to show off the colors of a prism, but it works on all 3.5 Palm devices and later. It's offered with a bunch of other software (all designed to show off the prism).

http://www.handspring.com/products/v...software.jhtml
    -Joshua