1.    #1  
    Just got a used Treo 650 Verizon and the camera (both video and still) shows a very red and black image. It seems like it can't show the image in anything but those hues. All the features work fine-zoom, save, etc. and all the other stuff on the Palm has no color problems. The display is not broken? Any ideas? Its not a custom ROM or unlocked or anything different. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I have the same issue with a GSM 650 that I got on eBay. I have tried cameratest and pickem and both bring up a "syslibload" error. I have been told to try to do a hard reset and a zero out reset. I did all and had no luck, still the same results. You might want to try it on yours. I have also heard that upgrading the firmware might fix this, but my Cingular phone has the most updated firmware per the Palm site.

Basically the way I understand it this is a known problem with 650 camera's and best thing for us to do is buy new ones. I have searched high and low on the net for a fix, but there is nothing. I have also taken out the camera and cleaned the leads but no results.

Maybe someone here has another idea?
    "Very red and black" sounds like you might have "sepia" turned on. This should have canceled out when you hard reset, however.

To see if it's on, set the Camera app running and press the submenu button - top right on 650's. This will bring up a screen of "photo settings," in which the first item is "effect". If this says "sepia," change it. If not, well, there's some other problem.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    i dont understand why you guys take the treo's camera seriously. just ignore it and you'll be happier.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygross View Post
    "Very red and black" sounds like you might have "sepia" turned on. This should have canceled out when you hard reset, however.

To see if it's on, set the Camera app running and press the submenu button - top right on 650's. This will bring up a screen of "photo settings," in which the first item is "effect". If this says "sepia," change it. If not, well, there's some other problem.

Jay

I probably should have given more details....it is not in sepia mode. In fact, black and white is more purple and white, and changing from sepia to color changes it very little. There was no change when i did a zero out reset, and I even tried to install just cameratest after the zero reset and still got the error.

I am certain this is a hardware issue, but there seems to be nothing on it anywhere. I had thought about replacing the camera itself but don't know if that would do anything.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    i dont understand why you guys take the treo's camera seriously. just ignore it and you'll be happier.
    I don't take it seriously actually. I just would like all the features of my phone to work. In fact what has really interested me in getting this to work is that my wife and I are about to have a baby. I would love to be able to email the pics on the spot without having to transfer from one device to another. My digi cam is not SD or I would just switch the card.

Again, its not a huge issue, but I'd just like it to work.
    Zero'ing the Treo should have eliminated software from the equation, unless there's something amiss in the ROM. When you hard reset, you did the hold-down-button thing while pushing reset button, not just pull battery, I hope.

If that's the case, can you return the Treo for a replacement? Warranty, or otherwise. If one part of the hardware's messed up, maybe something else will follow.
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygross View Post
    Zero'ing the Treo should have eliminated software from the equation, unless there's something amiss in the ROM. When you hard reset, you did the hold-down-button thing while pushing reset button, not just pull battery, I hope.

If that's the case, can you return the Treo for a replacement? Warranty, or otherwise. If one part of the hardware's messed up, maybe something else will follow.
    In my case, I zero'd it out, and installed the new ROM from Palm's website for the Cingular Treo. Same situation. I am certain this is hardware related, and ordered a new camera from PerformancePDA. It was cheap so we'll see if that fixes it.

Unfortunately in my case returning the Treo is impossible as this was a eBay buy. If this doesnt fix it, I'll just keep my eye out for another 650 down the line. The camera isn't a necessity for me, but it would be nice.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Ok, here is the update:

I got the new camera in from PerfomancePDA and installed it. Unfortunately that made no change in anything. One interesting result was I installed the FotoGather software and the pictures taken by it seem to be almost perfect except for a slight slight blue hue on the shadows. This makes me think if I could get CameraTest to work (I get a syslibload error) then I could clean the picture up totally.

Any ideas on getting past the syslibload error to make cameratest work?

I have installed the newest ROM from Cingular additionally.