1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I was just curious on how much it would cost to unlock my phone...
    Is there any good websites that do that...
    If so will it affect my current phone/data plan with AT&T..
    Is it really worth it..
    Thank you in advance
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    its really only worth it if u plan to travel outside the US or want to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile. Otherwise there isn't really any reason if you are staying on ATT.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  3.    #3  
    I am plannin a trip early next year...

I did do some research on this...some people say that it would affect my existing plan with cingular..that the data usage might get messed up...

thats the reason I am hesitating...
    Also how much does it cost...any idea on that??...
    I used this service to unlock my 680 with good results
    http://www.gsmphonesource.com/reunbyimforc4.html

Its a nice deal for $20 and had no effect on my Cingular/AT&T voice or data plans
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Unless you're a brand new Cingular/ATT customer, there's no need to pay someone to unlock your phone. I've unlocked a few by simply calling customer service and telling them I'm headed to Mexico in a couple weeks and want to use a local SIM card while I'm there. They ask for the IMEI # of the phone (it's in your battery compartment, so write it down beforehand) and give you a code that's around 10 digits (or less...can't remember). Then you use that code when you get to your destination. You only do this once, and then every other GSM SIM will work fine with no code required. I recommend you do the unlock before actually getting to your destination. Just borrow a friend's T-Mobile SIM and put it in your phone for a few secs. It will prompt you for the code, and you're done.

And I've never heard of the unlocking procedure messing up your AT&T plan. When the AT&T SIM is not in there, it's simply not an AT&T phone. When the AT&T SIM is replaced, it becomes an AT&T phone again. During the interval when the AT&T SIM was not in the phone, for all they know your phone was stored in a drawer somewhere. You simply weren't using their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_h View Post
    Unless you're a brand new Cingular/ATT customer, there's no need to pay someone to unlock your phone. I've unlocked a few by simply calling customer service and telling them I'm headed to Mexico in a couple weeks and want to use a local SIM card while I'm there. They ask for the IMEI # of the phone (it's in your battery compartment, so write it down beforehand) and give you a code that's around 10 digits (or less...can't remember). Then you use that code when you get to your destination. You only do this once, and then every other GSM SIM will work fine with no code required. I recommend you do the unlock before actually getting to your destination. Just borrow a friend's T-Mobile SIM and put it in your phone for a few secs. It will prompt you for the code, and you're done.
    With my 650 I spent too much time on the phone with Cingular trying to get a unlock code that worked. They gave me 2 different codes. Neither one worked. I am a 10 year Cing customer.

Spending $20 with a 3rd party company was fast and easy. I wasted more than $20 worth of time with Cing only to have their codes never work.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Cingular unlocked my old Treo 650 in 10 minutes, no hassle.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Ok, so riddle me this. When I'm in the UK and using a local sim, what happens when somebody calls my AT&T phone number? does it go straight to voice mail? and if so, how do you go about checking that voicemail box? just use the local sim to call you AT&T number, or do you put your AT&T sim back in and check it that way??

My trip to Belfast a month ago was only 5 days, and it cost me around $130 on my AT&T sim!! Didn't get a local sim due to the lack of knowledge on the above questions....
    I set my old SIM card to forward all calls to my temporary SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Ok, so riddle me this. When I'm in the UK and using a local sim, what happens when somebody calls my AT&T phone number? does it go straight to voice mail? and if so, how do you go about checking that voicemail box? just use the local sim to call you AT&T number, or do you put your AT&T sim back in and check it that way??

My trip to Belfast a month ago was only 5 days, and it cost me around $130 on my AT&T sim!! Didn't get a local sim due to the lack of knowledge on the above questions....
    Your ATT messages go to your ATT number. If you're not using your ATT number (for instance, using a local SIM card), and you have voice mail service (who doesn't?), then those messages go into your ATT voice mail. You can pick them up by calling the ATT voice mail number--before switching SIMS, call for your messages on ATT, and look in your phone log to see what number was called. You could call that number from anywhere to get your messages (but of course that will probably be a toll call from wherever you are calling). Usually you can get the same results by calling your old number and hitting * when your voice mail picks up, and then entering you number and PIN, or some combination thereof. Maybe somebody on ATT here can give you all the actual numbers.
  11.    #11  
    Hi
    I called Cingular and requested an unlock code.
    They said I would get an email with the unlock code in 5-7 days.

I read in this forum that some people had it unlocked right away by Cingular?..Also, they dint even ask my IMEI number

How come I was asked to wait 5-7 days??
    Unless Cing has your IMEI number they can not generate your unlock code.
  13.    #13  
    Hey again..

I did receive the unlock code in 2 days..I had to call and confirm my IMEI number...
    When I followed the steps...the msg said: The SIM lock has been removed from the phone. But when I tried a t-mobile sim card, it dint work. It just let me make emergency call.
    Any Treo guru's out thr who can help me pls?...
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxion2005 View Post
    Hey again..

I did receive the unlock code in 2 days..I had to call and confirm my IMEI number...
    When I followed the steps...the msg said: The SIM lock has been removed from the phone. But when I tried a t-mobile sim card, it dint work. It just let me make emergency call.
    Any Treo guru's out thr who can help me pls?...
    You may not have had T-Mobile coverage wherever you tried it?
    It sounds like the unlock code didn't work. It also could be that you didn't enter the unlock code correctly. I'm on T-mobile and I had the same problem. It turns out that sometimes the correct unlock code doesn't unlock the phone. It took me sometime and trouble, but I did get the problem solved by emailing the chairman of Palm (I don't have his email anymore). He had a palm tech guy help me out and I got another unlock code that worked.
    Often the problem is that the phone company service rep doesn't understand that you want to unlock the phone from their service. They give you the number to unlock the SIM which locks if the password is entered incorrectly a certain number of times. Make sure that they know you want to unlock the phone and not the SIM and that they are not the same thing.
  17.    #17  
    Hi
    I did call cingular and they were not able to help me..They double checked the IMEI number and also the unlock code.. He did confirm that that the code was to unlock the phone and not the SIM....
    I am planning to take my treo to the AT&T store to see if they can help me...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
  18.    #18  
    I called Palm as suggested my the AT&T technical support and they were not able to help me...

They actually suggested "bongo wireless" to unlock my phone.

Is this a good service..if AT&T was not able to unlock my phone, do u think 3rd party service would be able to?

Also, I've tried unlocking it 3 times already, does it mean I just have 2 more times and after that it would be permanently locked to AT&T??

I am leaving the country next week and will be gone for 2 months...I just want to use my phone...is there any other effective way to unlock the phone?..

Really appreicate everyone who's taken time to answer my qns....

TIA

G
    I just bought a Treo 680 from ebay that is locked to cingular, I've been with AT&T and then cingular and now back to AT&T again for years. So I put in my SIM card, and it said "SIM card not allowed". So I called up AT&T as suggested by some of the forum members here, and AT&T refused to give me the unlock code, citing that I need a whole new rate plan and new SIM card....
    I didn't know that there's old and new sim card....help
    Bumping cuz I just unlocked my 680. Couldn't have been easier.

Called, she texted me the code, put in a sim I have from France (used with another phone) Phone told me it wouldn't work with the sim, put in: *#*# code # and the phone told me the "sim locking feature has been turned off!"

Sweet!

T-Mobile here I come!! LOL