Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife wants a PDA/cell phone so I recommended the Treo 680. We're on a contract with AT&T, so no deals there. New from Palm they are $399. I find ones that are advertised as NEW on ebay for $320-330. These are from dealers that have many phones. One that I e-mailed said it is new but they open them to unlock them and throw in a car charger. My question: Is this too good to be true?

Thanks,
    shogun_220
    Why would they open them to unlock an unlocked phone? That could mean they bought them from locked somewhere like verizon/sprint for about $99 (something you could do yourself for cheaper at a local unlocking sore probably).....and no warranty either - doesn't sound too good saving 70-80 bucks but getting a potential world of headaches!
  3.    #3  
    Oops. I meant that they opened the box to unlock the phones. I agree that this means they must be getting them from at&t or something. I thought maybe they are dealers that can buy locked phones cheap w/out a plan and can then unlock them and sell them on ebay for a good profit. I don't know.

shogun_220
    Palm has a sale on the 680 (graphite) unlocked right now for $349.00.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the heads up on the price at Palm. I think the peace of mind buying from Palm is worth $20.

shogun_220
    I've bought and sold a couple of 680's on ebay. Just bought an Arctic Cingular-branded one for my wife a couple weeks ago for $270. In looking through all of the auctions, I didn't really see any "too good to be true" auctions. There were some refurbs, and some used ones, but those were clearly noted in the auctions. The one I got was New in a sealed box. Yes it's locked, but for the price, and an entire year of warranty, I'm ok with it. I've been w/ Cingular/ATT w/out a contract for 5 years, so it's easy to call them and get the unlock code, and you only need to do that once.

It looked like graphite was the cheapest color on ebay, then copper, then white. Crimson was most expensive. Factory Unlocked was a little more expensive than the Cingular/ATT branded ones.
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    I am wih Brad H, there is not a problem with buying one from eBay. That's fow I bought mine. Just beware of the seller and do your research before buying. It's not like Cingular gives you a real warranty. Also, if you are able to get an upgrade phone from Cingular I think they have refubs for 199 with a two year commitmen. Good luck.......
    It's not too good to be true, especially if they have good feedback. You could always just find one that they don't open up and just unlock it yourself after you get it.

Anyway, the deal from Palm seems pretty good, so I'd go with that while it's still offered.
    gah i have to get one for the lady friend and i was looking on ebay

i think im goign to get her the graphite and switch to a crimson case
    Last edited by sigma pi; 08/13/2007 at 04:51 PM.
    This phone is 300 and up on ebay, palm has it for 350 plus free shipping and no tax. Ebay is hit or miss. I paid for a bran new blackberry on ebay 2 years ago, it arrived D.O.A..
    I've been watching on ebay for a couple of days, and it looks like you can get new, unlocked phones in the 237-280 range. They don't come w/ a warranty, but ebay offers a warranty for an additional $24. What do you think?

Also, I'm concerned that if I get one branded to Cingular, it will be pre upgrade (the one that came out in June that dealt w/ garbled text and frequent freezes), and be more of a hassle than I want.

I don't want to buy from Cingular even though I'll be eligible for an upgrade later this month because right now, I don't want to get locked into a data plan, or to change my calling plan.

Any opinions?
    I bought an unlocked new cingular on ebay two months ago for about 300. I flashed the upgrade and bought a three year warrant y for about 30. Major imp;rovement over the 650 I had for seveeral years. The suppler I bought from was located in LAX and did everything he said he would.
    Quote Originally Posted by karenrm@comcast.net View Post
    I've been watching on ebay for a couple of days, and it looks like you can get new, unlocked phones in the 237-280 range. They don't come w/ a warranty, but ebay offers a warranty for an additional $24. What do you think?

Also, I'm concerned that if I get one branded to Cingular, it will be pre upgrade (the one that came out in June that dealt w/ garbled text and frequent freezes), and be more of a hassle than I want.

I don't want to buy from Cingular even though I'll be eligible for an upgrade later this month because right now, I don't want to get locked into a data plan, or to change my calling plan.

Any opinions?
    yeah just download the upgrade and install it
    I didn't see the 349 deal on the Palm website today, but fyi, they do have an offer for a free 680 w/ new plan from ATT. Nothing like that on the ATT website.
    Quote Originally Posted by karenrm@comcast.net View Post
    I didn't see the 349 deal on the Palm website today, but fyi, they do have an offer for a free 680 w/ new plan from ATT. Nothing like that on the ATT website.
    I think it ended, but there is no tax plus free shipping. I would rather pay more than pay less on ebay. Ebay is hit or miss. Some sellers will lie about having a warranty.
    Sorry....I said "from ATT" above. I meant Amazon. Also, I see now that ATT will allow a loyalty upgrade w/out commitment for $349. Seriously considering that.
    I just received a 680 that I purchased on eBay. It was sold as a refurb unit that was working like new. When I recved it, the unit did appear clean and new, all accessories were included. The problem, however, was that the microphone does not seem to work. Not for speakerphone or on the handset. I have 2 problems with the seller 1) The seller did not send the unit on a timely basis. They sent it out 6 days after I purchased and paid. 2) When I contacted them about the delay and requested a tracking number they would only reply that it was on the way.

I have had about a dozen emails with them today requesting a new unit be sent to replace this one and all they reply is "Please Return for Refund". This phone was supposed to be a gift for my son to have when he returned to school. Classes began today, and he has no Treo. BTW, the seller has 99.8 positive feedback.

Anyone selling an ATT/Cingular Branded Treo 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoEntertainer View Post
    I just received a 680 that I purchased on eBay. It was sold as a refurb unit that was working like new. When I recved it, the unit did appear clean and new, all accessories were included. The problem, however, was that the microphone does not seem to work. Not for speakerphone or on the handset. I have 2 problems with the seller 1) The seller did not send the unit on a timely basis. They sent it out 6 days after I purchased and paid. 2) When I contacted them about the delay and requested a tracking number they would only reply that it was on the way.

I have had about a dozen emails with them today requesting a new unit be sent to replace this one and all they reply is "Please Return for Refund". This phone was supposed to be a gift for my son to have when he returned to school. Classes began today, and he has no Treo. BTW, the seller has 99.8 positive feedback.

Anyone selling an ATT/Cingular Branded Treo 680?
    If a high volume seller (500 plus sales a month) has a 99.8 feedback score, over a period of 12 months that could easily be 20 - 50 unsatisfied cutomers, and thousands of satisfied customers. Remember, a lot of folks leave a possitive feedback as soon as they recieve the phone and it apears to be ok. Years ago I purchased a used 600 on ebay. It worked great for 14 days then it would reset itself for a few minutes, then work ok again for the next 10 days, and then reset again. Return the phone to the seller and get your refund, ,minus shipping charges. How much did the phone cost?
    I paid about $258 including shipping. I've requested a full refund including my shipping to return it to the seller. I've never had any problems with an ebay seller or product before, so I hope this one will do the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoEntertainer View Post
    I paid about $258 including shipping. I've requested a full refund including my shipping to return it to the seller. I've never had any problems with an ebay seller or product before, so I hope this one will do the right thing.
    Hope you get your full refund.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast