1.    #1  
    I was wondering if the zlauncher file manager is adequate enough to replace the functions that filez does. At the moment, im trying to rebuild a custom rom since my phone decided to go in an endless loop last week
    I think so. I also have Deinstaller installed too. Zlauncher gets updated, so putting that in rom may not be the best route.
  3.    #3  
    considering i rarely update programs on my treo anyway, i dont think thats too much of a problem. Im more worried about doing a hard reset and having things disappear. Though i am looking into some backup applications to help recovery from later crashes.

is a deinstaller needed though? im pretty sure zlauncher (even launcherX) asked me to uninstall all associated files when i deleted something.
    Destaller or Uninstall Manager handle associated files and preferences that are created using a different creator ID than that of the base application. The default launcher and ZLauncher associate files and pereferences using the creator ID. If you test and delete software, it's easy to get orphaned files and preferences.

As for whether ZLauncher's file manager does everything, not quite. There have been rare occasions when I needed FileZ to delete something. FileZ will also let you change the various dates associated with a file.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    hmm sounds good.. i suppose ill include it if i have some extra space. if not, i dont think ill use it enough to justify having it.

Often times i only add programs to the phone when i do a complete rebuild. If i add anything else, its usually on SD.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miztahsparklez View Post
    I was wondering if the zlauncher file manager is adequate enough to replace the functions that filez does. At the moment, im trying to rebuild a custom rom since my phone decided to go in an endless loop last week
    FileZ has some very useful file handling capabilities not found in ZLauncher.

For example, it can open up a Hex Editor that lets you change the code of a file itself.

This might seem an arcane need. Im no programmer, at all, but it has come in handy on several occasions. The most useful case has been with the very popular weather program Xweather. The program as supplied doesnt do international locations, but by quite simple editing of the profile database you can add in any city from around the world.

If youre the type of person who is doing custom ROMS, then youre likely to be the type of person who will need FileZ at some stage.

Ive got Zlauncher in the ROM myself, and I have already updated it once there, and am happy to do another one when the time comes.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.