Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I dunno why you think it isn't when everywhere including Holux says it is.
    http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/produc...nt.jsp?pno=227
    Maybe I'm saying it because I have one? It doesn't say user replaceable, it says "changeable." There's no instructions in the manual for changig the battery. There's no slide off battery cover. There's no obvious pop off cover to remove (I've pulled gently at the cover, it does not flex). There's no obvious screws (perhaps under the FCC/serial number sticker, which doesn't look like it was designed to be removed by the user).

I searched on google to see if anyone had opened their M-1200, but the only references to changing/replacing the battery are cut and paste from the Holux website.

Feel free to try and pop your M-1200 open and let us know if it is user changeable or just changeable.
    Hey JAAK3...

What are your impressions of the M1200, besides the battery not being user-changeable? Has it worked well. How is the battery life? What software are you using with it? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Mike,

I think it's great. Battery life is terrific. Sensitivity is amazing, I can use it in my pocket (and indoors). It always locks on in less than 30 seconds.

Accuracy is great, however I've only used it for car navigation. The only software that has given me problems is Google Maps, the software seems to stop tracking after a certain amount of time and I have to restart the GPS track (but that might just be a problem with Windows Mobile 6 and Google Maps).

If I had two complaints it would be that that the M-1200 is just a little too big for a keyring and it isn't a proper USB device. Although it uses a USB connector for charging, it isn't USB (it's probably TTL rs-232 serial). This means that it doesn't register its power requirements with the host (which so far hasn't caused a problem) and it sends out non-USB messages that confuses Windows. I've got one laptop (Windows XP) that constantly pops up USB device error messages when the M-1200 is connected and on and another laptop (older, running Windows 2000) that slows down several percent when trying to deal with the messages the M-1200 is sending out over the USB port. In both cases, I've just been using the laptops for charging the M-1200. Holux wants you to buy a special $15-$20 cable to actually use it as a USB device (although I didn't really buy it for USB, but for Bluetooth).

Anyway, that's it. Minor complaints. I paid $55 shipped from ebay. I think given the size and performance of the M-1200, it's the best GPS going for the price.
    hey jaak3...or anyone else out there...

I'm resurrecting this thread to try to get some more feedback on the M1200 or Slim240.

There's a lot of commotion right now on the board with regard to the Freedom Mini. That's a nice device, but the one thing I like more about the Holux receivers is their ability to use bluetooth OR USB to connect to your Treo/laptop (and the battery life of the M1200). Obviously bluetooth is the only Treo option, but it would be nice to have the USB option for my laptop.

My main question is around reception sensitivity. The review of the Freedom Mini mentioned several times that reception of the Mini was very good, even indoors. Jaak3's post above also mentions good reception indoors. I'm wondering just how good it is? Can you use it in an office building--in the middle of an office building--or are we talking about a house near a big picture window type of reception? I'd like to use my receiver for wireless access point auditing of large office complexes (for business purposes , so if I can get consistent reception in a building, that's a huge plus.

Thanks for your input!
    Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12