1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I'm somewhat new to the whole updating/tweaking a 650...but i was reading a ROM tip

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=147767

and was wondering what this does exactly? free up space? does it make my treo faster?

I've recently been trying to get my 650 as fast as i can because loading pictures is soooooooooooooooo slow and it hurts to wait...

also is there a faster webbrowser i should be using? thanks!
  2.    #2  
    and also, i just updated my phone from whatever it first had to 1.13...should i notice any improvements?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoxic View Post
    Hi guys, I'm somewhat new to the whole updating/tweaking a 650...but i was reading a ROM tip

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=147767
    I'd suggest starting here.

and was wondering what this does exactly? free up space? does it make my treo faster?
    Removing unneeded components will free up RAM (Dynamic Heap & DBCache). Unless you re-size the ROM partition as well you won't gain any NVFS space (where programs are installed), and there are basically only three sizes there to choose from (7.1MB, 8.4MB, and 9.8MB). However, repartitioning is more risky than just using the RomTool and will only net you a MB or two more.

The main benefit I see is to cut away things I don't use or need so that my phone has more working RAM space and graft in support for a few new things (bigger SD cards, mainly).

What branding is your current 650? Who is your service provider?

I've recently been trying to get my 650 as fast as i can because loading pictures is soooooooooooooooo slow and it hurts to wait...
    I assume you're talking about loading pictures over Blazer or another web browser? Unfortunately, that's pretty much dependent on the quality of service from your provider. The phone itself is capable of EDGE in speeds upwards to 180kbps or more, but what you actually get is dependent on the speed your wireless provider can support and the signal quality when you're using it.

If you're just talking about viewing pictures using the camera app, then there might be something else going on.

also is there a faster webbrowser i should be using? thanks!
    I can't speak much to this. I've only used versions of Blazer (the one included in the official GSM 1.20 ENA ROM, and the "fastmode" Blazer that speeds things up a bit by disabling cascading style sheet formatting, but I don't think that will affect image download significantly).

Read up on the "suggested threads", specifically those under the "Modifications that may be of interest - proceed at your own risk!" section.
    Last edited by spurdy; 08/08/2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typos
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
  4.    #4  
    I'm with Sprint and for the pictures i meant the actual picture albums on my phone...does it load faster if the pics are on the phone than on the SD card? I really want to make it faster because its annoyign when i want to show my friends a picture and i have to make them wait a couple minutes (no exaggeration) Thanks again for ur replies
    I'm with Sprint and for the pictures i meant the actual picture albums on my phone...does it load faster if the pics are on the phone than on the SD card? I really want to make it faster because its annoyign when i want to show my friends a picture and i have to make them wait a couple minutes (no exaggeration) Thanks again for ur replies
    I would expect pictures stored on the phone to load more quickly, yes, but then you'd be rapidly eating up your NVFS space.

It could be that your SD card is simply slower (some cards are capable of faster read/write speeds than others). Also, if you have a large number of photos/movies, it may take the media app a while to load the thumbnail images when navigating through them. Still, a couple of minutes to load a photo sounds pretty extreme.

Do you have any other SD cards you could test with? Or, if you could back up your current card to a computer temporarily, then you could format it and see how it works when completely empty and take just a few pictures.

If it's still slow even in that situation, then I'd look to some software problem (a 3rd party application or utility interfering with the media app's access to the card, or hogging the CPU somehow). The ultimate test there would be to back everything up, then hard reset. If the problem goes away, it's some sort of software conflict and you'd need to selectively install/restore things to find out what's causing the problem.
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile