Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    This morning I received a refurbished Treo 650 compliments of Sprint TEP. I was a little surprised that the 650 was still available as I've read stories from others regarding insurance upgrades to the 700p.

After opening the box and turning on the device I noticed that the brightness was significantly less than my previous 650 ~ this after I increased the brightness to the highest possible level. I held the old phone next to the new one and there was a noticeable difference in the two screens.

Furthermore, I also noticed that when the 650 was turned at an angle that I could no longer see the screen. I can only surmise that this refurb had its screen replaced and is therefore not the original. Why else would the screen be so different?

I called Asurion, the insurance carrier for Sprint, to complain about the issue. The rep was very apologetic, but said that she'd replace my 650 with another 650!?!?

I calmly asked the rep if it were possible for me to receive a 700p as I was now on my 4th 650 replacement. The rep placed me on hold and came back saying "yes, I can do that for you." The only caveat was that my Sprint bill would go up by $5 / month due to EVDO.

Does this seem legitimate?

TIA,

Orion
  2. em3
    My 650 was also replaced with a 700p by Asurion last week. The $5 additional charge is probably for Power Vision, which you absolutely DO NOT need to upgrade to unless you choose. If you currently have a less expansive Vision data plan then they will grandfather your existing plan with the new EVDO phone. Once you receive the phone call Sprint and ask a Treo technical service agent to swap your ESN using the P2K system.

Good luck with the 700p, my one week replacement is already having the many problems that have been reported in the countless messages on this newsgroup.
    I'm on Verizon, not Sprint, but I would get another 650 if I were you. If you get a Treo 700p with the 1.10 firmware you will have network connectivity 10-20% of the time, usually after turning the phone on and off or after a reset. I went through 3 700ps with the same problem; I now have a 650 with perfect connectivity. Again, I'm on Verizon, but read the other threads before you "upgrade."
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
    If you get a Treo 700p with the 1.10 firmware you will have network connectivity 10-20% of the time, usually after turning the phone on and off or after a reset.
    That's not true! The comment above makes it sounds like an absolute, which just isn't true. Some people experienced some problems after the upgrade. Many did not. (Many people had different problems/experiences before the upgrade too)

From what I've read the 650 has been a lot more stable device, but I never wanted a Treo until EVDO came out. EVDO is faster so if you use the net you'll love it.

My experience was good and if I ended up with another 700p with the older ROM, I'd update in a second.

If the 700p is problematic you can probably get them to downgrade you, but you can't be sure they'll offer an upgrade again.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thank you to everyone who has responded. em3, I really appreciate the insight into Power Vision. I'll have it corrected immediately. It was probably a shady tactic by a snake oil salesman. As a sales professional, I do not tolerate dishonesty in my profession.

I'll update my post once the new device arrives. I am so looking forward to EVDO. Browsing the web on the 650 was brutal.

Thanks,
    Orion
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    That's not true! The comment above makes it sounds like an absolute, which just isn't true. Some people experienced some problems after the upgrade. Many did not. (Many people had different problems/experiences before the upgrade too)
    I haven't had connection issues while browsing at all - the first time, it hung, but since then no issues at all.

EVDO is great.

I seem to be having some drops while talking - but i could be having signal issues, the 650 was having similar issues last week.

I don't regret taking the 700 over another 650 - will i in the future? Maybe. But so far so good.

And besides, i have an Orange Skin for it - LOVE IT!!!!!!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    To the OP WHY are you happy about getting a 700p... its a PieceOfS... you were better off with a 650 or even a broken 650 is better than a 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    That's not true! The comment above makes it sounds like an absolute, which just isn't true. Some people experienced some problems after the upgrade. Many did not.
    It IS true, absolutely true, for me and for the other posters on this site who have had unusable Verizon 700ps since the MR. (My post was clear that I'm on Verizon.) I've had 4 700ps since July 11. I currently have a 650, which locks up and performs random calendar wipes, but the network functions perfectly, every time, on email and the web.

Your post and your opinion is colored by the fact that you are a 755p user on Sprint. The OP is asking about a 700p, not a 755p. Have you used a 700p since the MR ? Even if you have, Sprint users appear not to have been burned as badly as Verizon users.
    Last edited by rosalindavenue; 08/09/2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: removal of some outrage and clarification
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I really appreciate all of the excellent advice. This is one of the many reasons I'm a Treo owner. Treo users look out for one another ~ band of brothers!

I'll update the thread after I've had a week or so to play with the 700p. I'll also make sure that I perform a sync of only my PIM data and not all the third-party apps on the 650.

I've read that many users encountered issues by performing a direct sync from the 650 to the 700.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
    Orion
    My husband told me today my phone is garbage - it wasn't cutting out on ME whle i was talking to HIM, BUT, I was cutting out on him. UGH. And that is now on 2 different phones of his - his work Nextel and his personal Verizon.

Crap.
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    I'm on a 700p, and Sprint, and did the MR update (not from the card, or whatever...just ran it normally). I am not sure I've had any problems with mine since the update.

Just figured I'd add this message for some balance.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by The UnDoug View Post
    I'm on a 700p, and Sprint, and did the MR update (not from the card, or whatever...just ran it normally). I am not sure I've had any problems with mine since the update.

IN the Treo World its best to wait about 1 good week before finally saying it works. The update can work but you have to really use the hell out of your device before you can claim victory or defeat. I got my 2nd phone last friday and Sunday nite data stopped working on it completed. I got Phone #3 today and lets see if history repeats itself.
    My 700p dropped the net constantly after the MR. They finally upgrade me to the 755p. Much better. See if they won't upgrade you to the 755p, instead of the 700p. Unless, I am too late with my advice.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by The UnDoug View Post

Balance? Why are you talking about balance? Congratulations. Perhaps you will bring balance to the force. Go get a verizon 700p and see how balanced your network reception is.
    It IS true, absolutely true, for me and for the other posters on this site who have had unusable Verizon 700ps since the MR. (My post was clear that I'm on Verizon.) I've had 4 700ps since July 11. I currently have a 650, which locks up and performs random calendar wipes, but the network functions perfectly, every time, on email and the web.
    I think what garylapointe was refering to was this from your earlier comment...

If you get a Treo 700p with the 1.10 firmware you will have network connectivity 10-20% of the time, usually after turning the phone on and off or after a reset.
    ...where you did make it sound like a 100% chance that it will have problems. As garylapointe pointed out, the update worked for a lot of people.

Have you used a 700p since the MR ? Even if you have, Sprint users appear not to have been burned as badly as Verizon users.
    I really hope you're referring to something other than the 1.10 MR, if you are then I suggest you take a deeper look at the threads. You can start here...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144589

According to some of the polls, anywhere from 10-30% of the Sprint 700p users here that tried the MR bricked their phones. As in rendering the phone completely unusable in any fashion (mine being one of them). I wish I could have used my 700p post-MR, but it was in a constant reboot cycle that no amount of hard resetting could take it out of. Be glad that you could at least make phone calls, I was out of a phone for a week while I argued with Palm about sending me a new one. There are also reports on the Sprint 700p's that did "sucessfully update" have similar to the one's you see on Verizon. Sooooo, explain to me how "Sprint users appear not to have been burned as badly"...
    Listen, I've never been the surly guy on a forum before and I'll stop being one on this one. Notwithstanding your stated hope, I was referring to the 1.10 upgrade. I have read all the threads here and other places and made the observation that some Sprint users still have a usable data plan after the MR. Moreover, people I personally know who have Sprint Treos had upgrades that did not trash their data plans. (I don't live in a 3G area, but mine did not work in EVDO areas like Washington DC when I traveled with it). I would make the additional observation that Verizon heavy data users with 700ps (like me) all have the 1.10 firmware problem, aside from a few who say they don't when in 1x (non EVDO) areas. I think that you and I agree that the palm MR was a disaster and it screwed up a lot of expensive phones.
    I"m not a heavy data user, but other than the first time it connected - i haven't had my 1.10 (new from Asurion in retail package) NOT connect to the network. I disconnect it every time i use it - and it always connects. I haven't turned the phone off since the first day when the stupid buttons in the "wrong" place impacted me.

I have lags in switching applications - enough i think the phone has froze, when i click on "disconnect" in prefs it can take longer than i think to do it.

If i've "accidently" left it connected - for over an hour lets say, it's still there and isn't disconnecting either.

I apparently have no idea how to test for network issues - i don't do much mail on the phone, in fact i have something wrong because i can't send it - just get it.

Anyway, I'm guessing i got lucky??
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I've been reading your replies with mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm concerned about reboots, a bad firmware update, etc. On the other hand, I'm excited about the possibilities associated with more memory, EVDO and a better bundled app suite.

I guess I'm hoping that the 700p will work for me. I've had my fair share of problems with the 650, but I still love the Treo and all the available 3rd party apps.

I was expecting my 700p to arrive today, but UPS experienced a delivery "exception."

Hopefully the driver didn't say "we can't give this guy a 700p" and turn back. I'll respond with the verdict soon.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Ah.... Verizon is your problem rosalindavenue. Switch to Sprint. My phone is quite trouble free and has been since February. Even with the new firmware all is spectacular. I love my SPRINT 700P
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well folks,

Sprint HAS NOT upgraded my 650 to a 700p. After reading about all the problems on this forum AND the open letter to Mr. Colligan, I must say that I'm a little relieved.

My 650 has always been a very stable device for me. As the old Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song says: "if you can't be with the one you love; love the one you're with."

My Sprint contract expires in March. I'll sit on the 650 until then to see what kind of innovation happens in the smartphone market.

Thanks (ALL) for the sound advice.

Orion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast