Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I didn't get that he was going to have advertising on the program. I think what he's talking about is, when you search for a type of business, some would come up first or some other way. Just as Google and all other search engines work. They would get paid from, say, Papa Johns, so when you search for a pizza place close to where you're at, Papa Johns would come up first, or bold, or something. As long as all results available still come up, it wouldn't matter at all.
    That makes sense, and would also be ok with me, as long as the results were still in alphabetical order. Perhaps the "paying" results pop up first with a different background (like Google) and then the rest of the results in alphabetical order.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
    There will be no charge for the service, and no subscription or paid option. All free.

Your guess about the revenue model is about what we expect to have. There will not be "ads" popping up, unrelated to what you are searching for. We are sensitive to the ill this would cause. There will also be infrastructure to allow a business to provide extra info like coupon offers and extra business info like hours and such. There are a lot of possibilities, and our goal is to make the extra listings and info USEFUL, not intrusive or annoying.
    Phew! Thanks again, Rick.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I didn't get that he was going to have advertising on the program. I think what he's talking about is, when you search for a type of business, some would come up first or some other way.
    I wouldn't use it much if advertisers came up first without a diferation (sP). Thats the reason I would use it, to get the closest businesses..
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    I had a very long-winded and frankly self-serving post written, but it's probably best kept offline.

In a nutshell, it's good to see communication on this again, and I'll have another donation sent off tonight (preemptively, as it were). I'll be looking forward to the new DA, whether it's DA 4.0, TelePages, or what-have-you.
    Well, my preference (as if I had a vote) would be for DA to stay the way it was except be tied to a database that wont' change suddenly to make the program stop working, and charge us for the end result. I know I, for one, would easily shell out $25-30 to have DA again. I think most of us past DA fans would feel the same, but I realize that might not be the case for trying to attact new users who don't know how great an app that was.

So....will wait and see and hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Well, my preference (as if I had a vote) would be for DA to stay the way it was except be tied to a database that wont' change suddenly to make the program stop working, and charge us for the end result. I know I, for one, would easily shell out $25-30 to have DA again. I think most of us past DA fans would feel the same, but I realize that might not be the case for trying to attact new users who don't know how great an app that was.

You guys have to read; Rick said he isn't going to charge for the program

dude, he has no control of that. When yahoo changes their system, it makes the program stopped working. Its not like he decided to change it up and take away DA from us because he felt like it.
    I thought DA was tied to m.yp.com, not yahoo??
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I thought DA was tied to m.yp.com, not yahoo??
    You're right. I thought yahoo = yp.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    You're right. I thought yahoo = yp.
    Me too.

Thanks NachoB for the education.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I always thought yp was yellowpages.
    Oh wow... I couldn't get the program to work because something was missing.. like a DA. I downloaded some framework and the whole program just seemed kind of messed up. I was totally anxious to check it out because a Directory Assist program would save my 411 charges, however it didn't work. Would someone send me a private message when a program like this comes out, or this one works again? Thanks!
    I did not use DA often, but it was nice to have when needed. It's been out of action for months now. I have been using yp.com directly on occasion. Will DA ever return?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    I did not use DA often, but it was nice to have when needed. It's been out of action for months now. I have been using yp.com directly on occasion. Will DA ever return?

Read post #106. Rick chimed in with a status update.
    dude, he has no control of that. When yahoo changes their system, it makes the program stopped working. Its not like he decided to change it up and take away DA from us because he felt like it.

ER, sorry, next time I will type slower for you. Him having no control was the whole point.... The earlier incarnations of DA were tied to a system (yp) he couldn't control so it went out on us from time to time - but it was free. I would pay a lot for a new version were that was not a problem.
    ER, sorry, next time I will type slower for you. Him having no control was the whole point.... The earlier incarnations of DA were tied to a system (yp) he couldn't control so it went out on us from time to time - but it was free. I would pay a lot for a new version were that was not a problem.
    The only way I see that working is if he had his own database of names and phone numbers, and set up his own servers. That's probably not going to happen.
  17.    #137  
    TelePages WILL have it's own server, so the API that interfaces with DA will not change. So in theory at least, it will never break. We will for the moment continue to get data feeds from 3rd parties, but these will be translated by our service to the DA API. Changes in 3rd party APIs will thus be insulated from change to DA.

Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
    TelePages WILL have it's own server, so the API that interfaces with DA will not change. So in theory at least, it will never break. We will for the moment continue to get data feeds from 3rd parties, but these will be translated by our service to the DA API. Changes in 3rd party APIs will thus be insulated from change to DA.
    This means it might "break" when the interfacing webpages change, but you will be able to fix it without having to redistribute copies of DA to everyone. That is a good plan, as long as you can find a reliable DA server and it doesn't end up costing more money than the income generated.
    The only way I see that working is if he had his own database of names and phone numbers, and set up his own servers. That's probably not going to happen.
    Or license it from one of the big guys. Or have a system that accesses the raw databases and doesn't rely on the yp or yahoo front end, or have it so that DA and the databases can be monitored and corrected on his end instead of issuing a new program.

EDIT: Which, it looks like to be what he has done....

And which I still would prefer to pay for than have any kind of ad thingy
    hey guys,
    i was a user of DA also. ...so when it stopped working, i wrote my own. it's pretty simple but does the job of what i want/need. i've given it to a few friends and they haven't mentioned any problems with it. if anyone is interested in it, just email me (scott@moxsi.com). if lots of people are interested in it, i might go ahead and add my standard moxsi wrapper stuff around it and post it to the general public (on my website).
    best,
    scott

ps. i hope this post doesn't constitute "hijacking", that's not my intent. just trying to help. i loved DA, ...it was on my main screen (i only allow 12 apps on my main screen).
    Last edited by moxsi; 11/07/2007 at 11:17 AM.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast