1.    #1  
    What is the difference between these two files in RAM: Address and Contacts ? Do they contain the same data? Can one be deleted? (700P, Sprint, MR 1.10)

I noticed differences in their details:

Address: 1,405 records, 96K, version 4.5.1.1P
    Contacts: 1,770 records, 278K, version 1.3.3

I also found that when I entered birthdays into contacts on the Palm PC desktop (version 4.2), the birthdays do not transfer to the Treo when syncing but other changes come across.

However, if I enter the birthdays into contacts on the Palm MAC desktop (version 4.2.2), the birthdays do come across during hotsync.

I ran DbFixIt and the "Verify PIM Databases" and "Verify Database Timestamps" (in advanced features of BackUpMan) and no errors were detected.

Any help appreciated.
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    Address is the original Palm database, while Contacts is the updated/newer version. Normally, the basic data is mirrored between the two. I don't know why you have differing record counts. Mine are the same.

Also, I tried entering a birthday on my Palm Desktop, also 4.2 on a PC, and it does sync over to my Treo 680.

Make sure your conduits are up to date. Also, make sure you're syncing to/from the Palm Desktop and not to/from Outlook.

When you run dbFixit, make sure you check both databases (address and contacts).

I'm sure others will have more detailed explanations.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Address is the original Palm database, while Contacts is the updated/newer version. Normally, the basic data is mirrored between the two. I don't know why you have differing record counts. Mine are the same.

Also, I tried entering a birthday on my Palm Desktop, also 4.2 on a PC, and it does sync over to my Treo 680.

Make sure your conduits are up to date. Also, make sure you're syncing to/from the Palm Desktop and not to/from Outlook.

When you run dbFixit, make sure you check both databases (address and contacts).

I'm sure others will have more detailed explanations.

Bob
    Thanks for some explanation Bob....

I do not use Outlook so it is just a normal desktop/Treo sync.

The conduits should be current from the 700p disk install and I went to the Palm website and they say this is the correct desktop version for my device.

I selected "Check All" in dbFixit and it showed no errors.

I may try deleting "Address" with FileZ, reset the device, then launch "Contacts" (since it is the newer version) and see if it creates a mirror with the same number of records....
    It is not a good idea to delete either as there are hooks from the extended PIMs to the legacy PIMs. For Treos, the one-word PIM names started with the 650. You need only select the one-word conduits for syncing.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    It is not a good idea to delete either as there are hooks from the extended PIMs to the legacy PIMs. For Treos, the one-word PIM names started with the 650. You need only select the one-word conduits for syncing.
    Thanks.... I have not done it yet... just considered it and trying to figure out why they show different amount of records and why none of the "verification" programs find any errors.

I have even considered deleting them all and then just sync them back fresh from the desktop... of course then I have to decide whether to use the PC or Mac desktop... they seem to work differently too.