Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Should I? I'm reading all of these posts and threads about the MR 1.10 "upgrade" problems, but its not clear to me if I walk into a Verizon store, what version I am going to get.

I currently have an old 600, and its treated me very well. But its getting to the point where I need to upgrade, and I'm coming to the end of my 2-year wait to upgrade for the cheaper price.

If I do go for the 700, should I have them run any specific tests right there at the store? I don't want to bring home a device that is going to be faulty.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    No one is fit to make that decision except you. If its EVDO you seek then you might have to take the plunge. I also had a stable 600 and jumped to a 700p. I do have some regrets. My 600 fullfilled my everyday needs with the exception of EVDO and a 320x320 screen. If you are being forced to upgrade because of your two years that isn't a good enough excuse. I have went almost three years into a device before I decided to upgrade. If your 600 does the job and you have no need to upgrade beside being a latest and greatest gadget junkie keep your 600 until Palm OS II or if you need the extra performance and change go for it. T/C has all you need to read to make a decision...all in all its up to you.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    No one is fit to make that decision except you. If its EVDO you seek then you might have to take the plunge. I also had a stable 600 and jumped to a 700p. I do have some regrets. My 600 fullfilled my everyday needs with the exception of EVDO and a 320x320 screen. If you are being forced to upgrade because of your two years that isn't a good enough excuse. I have went almost three years into a device before I decided to upgrade. If your 600 does the job and you have no need to upgrade beside being a latest and greatest gadget junkie keep your 600 until Palm OS II or if you need the extra performance and change go for it. T/C has all you need to read to make a decision...all in all its up to you.
    Ditto Ditto Ditto

I was in the EXACT same boat as you, 600 to 700p and i wanted high speed data. I got tired of waiting and waiting for Tmobile to get their high speed network online.

To poploser:

You're an adult and hopefully you'll make the decision which is best for yourself. I'd do alot of heavy reading of course before making your final decision. I'm sure many of us would disway you but again its all on You.

Hopefully you will hook up w/ a device that satisfies your needs.
    Generally, computer product forums are heavily weighted with negative posts about products, as people that are happy with things generally do not post as much. In several informal surveys done here, 2/3 to 3/4 of those that responded were generally satisfied with their Treos (I think one was specific to the 700).

To answer your question, I would say yes. I know two people who recently upgraded to a 700p and they are happy. Of course, they notice some of the bugs, but they accept them and rarely have resets or serious problems. I know of one person who got a 700p, upgrading from a cell phone. They love the capabilities of the treo. These are all Verizon.

I just got a replacement 700p, for a 700 I had since last year. I was running 1.06, but got the replacement with 1.10. So far, (over a week), I have been very happy with the replacement. It has been solid, with no resets. Fortunately, I have not had the problems some people have had with the updated phones. My phone says it was new and it came with 1.10 installed. That shouldn't make a difference but it's working good. I am in a mix of 1x and EVDO and the network connection is solid, no disconnects. I am a pretty heavy user with Chattermail, Orb, PocketTunes, Kinoma, etc.

Hope this helps your decision.
    i would wait until the 755 is out
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    i would wait until the 755 is out
    Yeah, that's a good suggestion. I heard it would be next week, but it's hard to say.
    Getting a 700p will make you go insane with how crappy it is... try and wait it out for the 755
    What guarantee is there that the 755 will be so great?

To the OP:
    I have had my 700P since October, I don't have any major issues and I do have several 3rd party apps installed.
    I get a lag from time to time after sending a text message, and once every couple of months when I receive a call when I'm on a call the treo resets. That's pretty much the extent of my issues.
    I have had other issues in the past but they went away when I started doing soft resets every morning before starting out to work.

As the others have said, the decision is up to you. You have to weigh the good and the bad of current and past Treo owners/users, and decide whether or not you can or want to wait for the 755, or just pick some other device entirely.

Good luck to you grasshopper.
    I almost hate to admit it, but my 700p (Verizon, pre-update) has been rock-solid from day one. Yes, I do experience lag when it's polling for a network (I've since learned to shut off the phone when I'm on the subway), but other than that it's been a dependable, practical tool for work and play. Heck, even the Bluetooth is bullet-proof (connects on the first try, and never, ever drops the signal). Right now it's loaded with AvantGo, eReader, TreoLnchr, LEDOff, GoogleMaps, Vindigo, Weather, SplashPhoto, TCPMP, FileZ, Mundo IM 4, MundoRadio, and a zillion games, and so far nothing has caused a conflict.

That said, with the 755 apparently right around the corner, unless you have a dire need to upgrade ASAP, I think it would be worth waiting for it. Even though I'm not a big fan of the redesign -- I prefer having an SD slot, as oppose to miniSD, and I don't like the buttons or the rubberized paint on the 755, which can peel off -- that doesn't mean that it won't offer an improved user experience over the 700p. For starters, you'll get better GoogleMaps integration with Contacts (which now resides in ROM), as well as the Recent Apps utility (which can be added to the 700p, but will be lost in the event of a hard reset). I'm sure there are other tweaks and improvements, but someone more knowledgable than I will have to list them.

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by acraniotes; 08/08/2007 at 07:38 PM.
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    I bit the bullett and installed the update and to my surprise the phone has been working perfectly. My Bluetooth issues are gone. The lag time seems almost non-existent and I've had no resets or the dreaded network drops. I live in Tucson and have had the update for over a week now. Just wanted those of you who are on the fence about the update to know there has been at least on successful one.
    I installed 1.10 last week and everytime I get into my car it dissconnects and after I reconnect it, it disconnects again... BS!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    thanks for the responses.

i'm definitely not jumping into anything. If the 755 is going to come out in the next 2 months I will wait.

I'm not too concerned about being in a situation where I get the 700, and then the 755 comes out soon after...as long as the 700 WORKS. If the 700 (or the 755 for that matter) is going to be more hassle than its worth, I'm not upgrading.
    are you nuts? have you read the 700p forum? in one word "DON'T"

i just got switched out to a blackberry 8830. its coming friday. its like manna from heaven. i have two co-workers who have the verizon 8830 and they gush about it like you wouldnt believe. can't wait for mine to come in
    Quote Originally Posted by bobykim View Post

i just got switched out to a blackberry 8830. its coming friday. its like manna from heaven. i have two co-workers who have the verizon 8830 and they gush about it like you wouldnt believe. can't wait for mine to come in
    HAHA Mana from heaven.. I like that one... Bobykim: have you read my other thread about 'BBB' I share your sentiments in the very LONG post you posted.

To the OP (Original Poster), please read before rendering your final decision. Who knows.. if you do go w/ a 700P your experience could be glorious compared to others.. Im sure theres someone out there with ZERO issues.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobykim View Post

I was actually just in Italy for a few weeks, and I had a loaner blackberry from work. It wasnt the 8830, but it was nice. Its just not enough for me. I use my phone for more than just work, and in fact the majority of my time is spent texting/IMing/emailing/websurfing from non-work purposes. The Treo is the best bet for me because it gives me the opportunity to do all of those things (in some cases with 3rd-party apps that are not possible on the Blackberry), but still gives me the opportunity to use it for work when necessary. Oh and the Treo has a camera.

I am worried about all the issues people raise. Its still not clear to me, however, if thats an issue affecting mostly old 700s that were upgraded, or all new 700s.

If Stupid Verizon would just make the 755p announcement already!!
    I think I will go against the grain and get the 700p in october when I can upgrade. Verizon no longer has the new every two for 22 months. Its now every 20 months..
    Quote Originally Posted by poploser View Post
    I was actually just in Italy for a few weeks, and I had a loaner blackberry from work. It wasnt the 8830, but it was nice. Its just not enough for me. I use my phone for more than just work, and in fact the majority of my time is spent texting/IMing/emailing/websurfing from non-work purposes. The Treo is the best bet for me because it gives me the opportunity to do all of those things (in some cases with 3rd-party apps that are not possible on the Blackberry), but still gives me the opportunity to use it for work when necessary. Oh and the Treo has a camera.

I am worried about all the issues people raise. Its still not clear to me, however, if thats an issue affecting mostly old 700s that were upgraded, or all new 700s.

If Stupid Verizon would just make the 755p announcement already!!

Verizon is Verizon.. they are pretty dam stringent from what I've been able to gather. I hope that all these 700p's that they are replacing left and right (two for me in 1 week) will make them put their foot down to Palm saying "Get it Right". I know the Treo is a better device for most of us believe me. When I started working for my company they gave me a Blackberry and it was such a learning curve to figure out how it works. I went from a 600p to a 700p and it was a learning curve in some areas. But you know what we'll survive and adapt. The Treo is a superbly simple device with a very simple interface. My fear and im sure others feel the same way is the Treo OS is outdated even if its more popular..

Since I have a blackberry and a Treo side by side w/ me all the time I see the advantages and disadvantages of each device. Seeing everything on the market.. no one can get it perfect. Iphone is great but lacks custom ring tones and high speed data. Device B has mp3 playback, data but no GPS(8830vzw). Device C has mp3 high speed playback, GPS but not a worldphone. I just truly figure that there is not 1 device that has EVERYTHING we all want. Gotta go with what you need the most and stick w/ it.

I guess in the end we all have to do whats best for ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I think I will go against the grain and get the 700p in october when I can upgrade. Verizon no longer has the new every two for 22 months. Its now every 20 months..
    Congratz on the decision man. I've used the 700p since March and I don't regret it one bit. The Palm OS software is just so customizable. It takes a little time to get everything how you want it, but virtually every aspect can be changed through FREE third party software. All the software I use on my palm is free and I don't plan on paying a dime for any other future software.

It's a great phone and I hope you enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    according to Palm's marketing website (http://www.palmthing.com/), the 755P is available for "Verizon, Sprint"

So feel free to announce a release date Verizon!