Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seven Networks has confirmed delivery of the new 755 version to Sprint. Hopefully it will be available for update soon.
    For Tech Legal or Cybercrime Help visit http://centrallaw.com
    I've been waiting. Seems forever. I miss being able to view/send my work email on the Treo.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    All I want to sync wirelessly is my exchange email. Instead of a monthly fee for Biz Conn, I just bought RoadSync from Dataviz. Works easy as possible and I dont need my desktop on at work. Hated losing contact when a power failure or update caused a reboot of my computer while away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas View Post
    All I want to sync wirelessly is my exchange email. Instead of a monthly fee for Biz Conn, I just bought RoadSync from Dataviz. Works easy as possible and I dont need my desktop on at work. Hated losing contact when a power failure or update caused a reboot of my computer while away.
    What is different in this from regular Exchange activesync?
    The big difference is tha 755 version of EA takes over email, contacts and calendar and you can no longer change that back to have any of those sync over usb. That includes a second PC. I want to sync eveything to my laptop as well. I'm not on the road enough that I cant keep my calendar or contacts updated on the server plugging the thing in. This way I ONLY sync email wirelessly, the others sync by usb and I can sync to my laptop easily.

Take a look at their web site, they have a trial period that I made use of before buying.
    Any word on when the Business Connection software will be available from either Sprint or Seven?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I can't wait! The version for the 700p works, but the bugs are too irritating to make it worth while.
    I am holding my breath for this update, it's absolutely vital for my workday...
    Still waiting for this, dammit. Come on Sprint! What's taking so long!?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Sprint has just released a program call "Sprint Mobile E-mail" which looks to be based on the same client as "Business Connection". I had the limited function Business Connection on my Treo and thought I would install the Sprint Mobile e-mail as well. When I did that, they melded for a short time and I was able to have a full function Business Connection by going to Sprint Mobile e-mail. The only problem is when I clicked on Business Connection, it reset my treo and lost the settings in Sprint Mobile E-mail. I then deleted both.

I know its confusing, but I was excited there for a second. I'm going to try the installs again to see if I can get it to work.
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    OK, it looks like if you install Biz Con and then install Sprint Mobile E-mail you have a better functioning Biz Con, but still not perfect. Along with it comes a whole myriad of other problems, not worth it in my book. I'll just sit and twiddle my thumbs a little longer and wait.

Here is what I noticed:

• The mail program now works with the five way
    • It does sync with the desktop client but it can't interpret the text messages you recieve therefore you get stange text messages versus "push mail" (Even when I disabled push mail I still got the strange messages)
    • You cannot map any buttons, they all map to Biz Con which launches the old app and hoses the setup

In all, close, but still no cigar. Comon Sprint let's go!!!!
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
    I used BCPE since it was available and thought it was great.
    After upgrading to the 755, finding out it was not supported, did not work, and would likely be dropped, I was pretty pi**ed. My fault for assuming and not checking.

I switched to Goodlink and will not go back. This is my first experience with Good and it has been a good one [pun intended].

I am not a big enough company to justify the expense of our own exchange and Good server so I am using a hosted version through themessagecenter.com. It costs $10/month for an exchange account plus $10 for the Good service for a total of $20month/user [vs $15 for BCPE and much more robust]

Good > www.good.com

There are several other hosting companies for exchange/Good combination:
    Hosted Partners with Good> http://www.good.com/corp/int_products.php?id=36

message Center> www.themessagecenter.com

This may not be the best fit for everyone who was using BCPE but it is working great for me and my company. If you already have an exchange server, Sprint can provide the Good server/software for an on site solution but I don't know the cost.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djshifley View Post
    I switched to Goodlink and will not go back. This is my first experience with Good and it has been a good one [pun intended].
    Thanks for this valuable info Dan. However, I don't want to pay extra for goodlink - I'm already paying for SBCPE and it was a part of my contract reneweal, and the real kicker is that I could just switch to a WM device tomorrow and have it working perfectly from day one.

Sprint needs to get up to speed on this one.

THat said, I've seen demos of Good, and it's pretty damn great. It clearly kicks bizcon's **** in every way.
    I used BCPE since it was available and thought it was great.
    After upgrading to the 755, finding out it was not supported, did not work, and would likely be dropped, I was pretty pi**ed. My fault for assuming and not checking.

I am not a big enough company to justify the expense of our own exchange and Good server so I am using a hosted version through themessagecenter.com. It costs $10/month for an exchange account plus $10 for the Good service for a total of $20month/user [vs $15 for BCPE and much more robust]

Good > www.good.com

There are several other hosting companies for exchange/Good combination:
    Hosted Partners with Good> http://www.good.com/corp/int_products.php?id=36

message Center> www.themessagecenter.com

This may not be the best fit for everyone who was using BCPE but it is working great for me and my company. If you already have an exchange server, Sprint can provide the Good server/software for an on site solution but I don't know the cost.

Dan
    Dan,

I'm in the same boat as you. I had an old SPH-i500 I was using BCPE on for the past five years and it worked great. When I upgraded to the 755p and couldn't get BCPE, I thought I was going to have to go back to the i500, but then I discovered Exchange Activesync, and I've been a happy man ever since. It was a bit quirky to get configured, but now it works like a champ. My hosting provider already had EA setup for my account with them, so it didn't cost me anything, whereas the Good service they offer was going to run me $15/user/month. I opted to stay with EA. Did you try that before you went to Good? I'm wondering what the differences are and if Good is worth it. EA is pretty darn nice in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    Thanks for this valuable info Dan. However, I don't want to pay extra for goodlink - I'm already paying for SBCPE and it was a part of my contract reneweal, and the real kicker is that I could just switch to a WM device tomorrow and have it working perfectly from day one.

Sprint needs to get up to speed on this one.

THat said, I've seen demos of Good, and it's pretty damn great. It clearly kicks bizcon's **** in every way.
    Its a shame it works so easily with WM devices. I actually think the Mogul is pretty slick but for some reason I just can't drop Palm OS.

Are you having success with BC and the 755?

It was so buggy/unpredictable that I couldn't use it. I'm out of the office a lot and access to my emails [many of which are faxes] are critical so I made the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmoore4 View Post
    Dan,

I'm in the same boat as you. I had an old SPH-i500 I was using BCPE on for the past five years and it worked great. When I upgraded to the 755p and couldn't get BCPE, I thought I was going to have to go back to the i500, but then I discovered Exchange Activesync, and I've been a happy man ever since. It was a bit quirky to get configured, but now it works like a champ. My hosting provider already had EA setup for my account with them, so it didn't cost me anything, whereas the Good service they offer was going to run me $15/user/month. I opted to stay with EA. Did you try that before you went to Good? I'm wondering what the differences are and if Good is worth it. EA is pretty darn nice in my book.
    Man, the i-500 was a great phone in so many respects but it just wasn't all there. The form factor was rock solid, by far my favorite form if only we could have had the functionality and screen size of the 755...

I mistakenly assumed EA was WM product. I didn't even check into it. What software does it use on Palm?

I may check into it because its free with a hosted exchange acct. I can honestly say with how slick Good is compared to BC and Versamail etc, I don't mind paying for it.
    Man, the i-500 was a great phone in so many respects but it just wasn't all there. The form factor was rock solid, by far my favorite form if only we could have had the functionality and screen size of the 755...

I mistakenly assumed EA was WM product. I didn't even check into it. What software does it use on Palm?

I may check into it because its free with a hosted exchange acct. I can honestly say with how slick Good is compared to BC and Versamail etc, I don't mind paying for it.
    The native client on the 755p (any Treo for that matter) is VersaMail. Using VersaMail with EAS is a cheap and easy way to go but if you want the options, support, and functionality that Good Messaging (or BES or Intellisync for that matter) gives you you'll WANT to pay the extra $15 bucks per month or however much it costs.

Now, if you had a WM device, and your bottom dollar was more important that convience and ease of use then ActiveSync for WM is the only way to go.

These are strickly my opinions and should be taken as such. This is what I have experienced over the years in using all of these products.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Its a shame it works so easily with WM devices. I actually think the Mogul is pretty slick but for some reason I just can't drop Palm OS.

Are you having success with BC and the 755?

It was so buggy/unpredictable that I couldn't use it. I'm out of the office a lot and access to my emails [many of which are faxes] are critical so I made the switch.
    I had the Mogul. Tried my damn best to love it, but it just sucks as a smartphone. Not a bad "toy" device, but forget doing real phone+pda+business work on it. That's where Treos kick ****.

BC on the 755 only works manually - you have to run BC, ok the error message it gives you everytime, and then manually sync with your host. So it gets emails and syncs calendar in manual mode, but there's no push funcionality, which is already very bad.

The worst part however, and this is one of those things that drives me up the damn wall with Palm, is that for some reason the bizcon program doesn't respond to the dpad controls on the 755p. You have to whip out your stylus to be able to scroll through your email list and within emails themselves. This makes it pretty much unusable. And I really don't understand how palm implements dpad controls on their devices to make them break so often through product updates. It's just a freakin' dpad with a button and it has been around since the Treo 600. Anyway...

There's also a couple of minor, long standing bugs such as the alarm sound always resetting back to the annoying "Treo Alarm", and the app being hardwired to only show 5 emails in the list regardless of font size, but these happened on the 700p too.

Someone else posted here word from Seven Networks, who make the software that Sprint rebrands as BizCon, that they will no longer be supporting the current Palm version of the client until the next iteration of the whole suite, which could be years from now if history is any guide. So I decided to go back to a 700wx. I hate to have to go back to that form factor but having bizcon is an absolute requirement for me.
    Last edited by NSiNSiNSi; 09/06/2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Ok.. I just checked one last time. I'm assuming I'll be kicked out of the Seven beta program for this, but they've been ignoring me for a year anyway.

I've been a beta tester for Seven's version of Business connection since 2003 on my i500, then Treo 650, then Treo 700p.

I don't know if Sprint is dropping Seven's software or not paying for an upgrade or what.

All I know is that the latest GA release that Sprint users have, has some bugs that Seven knows about even with the Treo 700p. I submitted many. They started another round of beta testing about 6 months ago. Then everything just stopped in May. I haven't seen any new versions of Palm client and all the palm testers have dropped off of their message board at least 3 months ago. There were still bugs even in that beta version.

That being said.. I'm using the GA Biz con version on my 700p and it still works.

I don't know if they have some other secret beta going on somewhere else, or if they are just releasing updates to Sprint without testers.
    Last edited by mogulman; 09/06/2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Yeah, the last client I used on the 700p worked ok, except for the aforementioned notification alarm sound bug and a couple of other details, but it did the job. The 755P is a different story though...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast