1.    #1  
    This weekend I had more than my normal amount of data connect error 3000 messages. I decided to bite the bullet and call VZW tech support. The first guy I talked to was a total bafoon. As I tried to explain the problem, he kept cutting me off telling me that I'm doing something wrong. He told me it was Palm's problem because they were the ones that released the Maintenance Release. We argued for a few minutes and then eventually passed the buck and patched me to a Palm tech support person.

The Palm tech support person was an even bigger bafoon. He wanted me to backup my 700p, hard reset it, and then try and use it for 24 hours to see what happens. I told him flat out that was an unreasonable request and that I wouldn't do it. I said this is a data connection error, and even after a hard reset I get the error messages. He seemed completely oblivious to the error 3000 message that I had been receiving. Nice to know they share their information to their tech support people. After arguing with the Palm tech support person for a little while longer, I hung up and called VZW back.

This time, I somehow got connected to the Goddess of tech support at VZW. From the moment I started talking to her, she was more than willing to help me in any way possible. She should be given a raise, a free BMW, and tickets to Disneyworld.

Anyway, she had me do a number of soft/hard resets. She had be reprogram the phone by calling *228 a number of times. Each thing we did didn't seem to change anything. Eventually we got stuck on an error message saying that my username and password were incorrect and that it couldn't connect to the network. This took over 30 minutes of resets and reprogramming. She eventually told me that she was ordering me a new phone and that it would ship out Friday and be here Tuesday. I never once asked for a new phone, she offered it to me.

I was unable to connect to the data network for at least another few hours. I eventually reprogrammed the phone again, and it's seemed to work somewhat. DA fails, as does Google Maps, but I am occasionally able to check email.

Hopefully the new phone works at least as well as it did before Friday.

My big complaint with the whole hour on the phone was that the first guy just tried to shove me off on Palm, and Palm vice-versa. Someone needs to just step up and admit there is a problem, and then fix it. It's been almost a month since the update came out, and still nothing. Speaking of that, Palm officially calls this a Maintenance Release everywhere I've seen, but the Palm techie was confused by that word. I guess they use different terminology to help them not have to do any real work.

-Chris
    For the record - DA won't work right now. According to the threads in the applications forum the back-end website that drives it is down.

So using that to test connection probably isn't a good thing.
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Chris:

I got my replacement phone and friday and you should read my thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=150070

I havent been able to access the internet At ALL even though the phone was solid for 2 days after I got it on friday. I explained to two people at VZW that i did the hard reset, soft reset, pull the battery, nothing has been on my phone installed its stil factory. Did the *228, *22899 deal, have full signal, my friends 700p works fine, and cant access the inernet. I have a ticket # and now in level 2 of this deal.
    If you can bear a different OS, you can try asking Verizon for a 700wx replacement -- that's what I did, and I've been happy. It works, it connects, and despite some minor annoyances, I'm pleased with this product so far.

I think Palm is having a lot of problems with the PalmOS products.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    Gasp.. say it isnt so /sarcasm.

Yes I think Palm can't make Palm stuff anymore..

Oh where are my handspring days.....

And what kind of annoyances do you speak of when it comes to the 700wx
    I had this same problem on a replacement Treo (7 in one year, before Verizon gave me a Blackberry 8830), and it was a backend provisioning problem on Verizon's part. The Verizon tech I spoke with on the phone bumped the issue to a 3rd level network technician to clean up my account -- it took about 3 hours for the network technician to fix the problem.

If you are still having problems, try and get the person you speak with to bump the problem to a Verizon network technician to fix.

Good luck,

RocketDude
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude View Post
    I had this same problem on a replacement Treo (7 in one year, before Verizon gave me a Blackberry 8830), and it was a backend provisioning problem on Verizon's part. The Verizon tech I spoke with on the phone bumped the issue to a 3rd level network technician to clean up my account -- it took about 3 hours for the network technician to fix the problem.

If you are still having problems, try and get the person you speak with to bump the problem to a Verizon network technician to fix.

Good luck,

RocketDude

I did exactly that. VZW had me do a RTN full reset, then kept me on the phone while the network technician removed all traces of my Treo from their network and then reprovisioned it. Even he said he had no idea whether it would work. It didn't. I still get the network disconnects and error messages. Now, as an added bonus, bluetooth locks up with my car and the phone rings, but I can't answer it from the car or handset. I've unpaired and restablished the bluetooth connections and it still happens, not all of the time, of course, but only when it's an important call and I'm doing 65 in traffic. I was truly ready to throw the phone out the window last night when caller ID showed an important client was returning my call and I could not answer. I had to do a soft reset and disable bluetooth to call back.

The BB 8830 is looking better and better. VZW just offered it to me for $99, but the fact that they disabled the GPS really annoys me. I would go with AT&T, but keep hearing how slow their data connection is.

Are we asking for too much? Apparently so.
    I suppose the question comes down to whether it's worth keeping the 700p over all of these problems and issues. Verizon switched me to a different PDA free of charge, which helped a lot, but if that weren't an option I would file a small claims action against both Palm and Verizon, call the local news stations and CNN, and pitch a David vs. Goliath story. You'll get national news coverage.
    Lnoble,

Hold out for a free Blackberry 8830 -- I kept calling Verizon every time my Treo locked up and I got really annoyed (went through 7 replacements in a year), and finally the support person I spoke with said he could either send me another replacement Treo or any other phone Verizon carried for free.

If you can put up with it, just get Verizon to keep replacing your Treo till the offer you something else for free.

Good luck,

RocketDude
    Sonny, when you switched over from the P to the WX, were you able to get all of your contacts from your P OS into the WX? If so, how? Also, calender too?

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    If you can bear a different OS, you can try asking Verizon for a 700wx replacement -- that's what I did, and I've been happy. It works, it connects, and despite some minor annoyances, I'm pleased with this product so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetmann View Post
    Sonny, when you switched over from the P to the WX, were you able to get all of your contacts from your P OS into the WX? If so, how? Also, calender too?
    There is a Outlook conduit that comes with the Palm Desktop.

Since my Treo is SOL at the moment I was able to convert ALLLLLL my stuff into outlook 2003 (supplied thx to work). And to boot I was able to convert those outlook contacts INTO my work supplied Blackberry 7520. Its a older BB but u know what.. you can convert your info over.
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude View Post
    Lnoble,

Hold out for a free Blackberry 8830 -- I kept calling Verizon every time my Treo locked up and I got really annoyed (went through 7 replacements in a year), and finally the support person I spoke with said he could either send me another replacement Treo or any other phone Verizon carried for free.

If you can put up with it, just get Verizon to keep replacing your Treo till the offer you something else for free.

Good luck,

RocketDude

RocketDude,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take a deep breadth and call VZW and push for a free 8830. I've been hesitant because VZW disabled the GPS on the 8830 (Sprint and AT&T have not) and the TomTom software with separate bluetooth GPS receiver that I've been using on the 700P will not work on the BB. I use the TT GPS whenever I travel, instead of getting it with the rental car. But I guess a working phone/pda without gps is better than a non-working one with. Or I could switch carriers.

This is not how I wanted to spend my summer.
    Ok thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    There is a Outlook conduit that comes with the Palm Desktop.

Since my Treo is SOL at the moment I was able to convert ALLLLLL my stuff into outlook 2003 (supplied thx to work). And to boot I was able to convert those outlook contacts INTO my work supplied Blackberry 7520. Its a older BB but u know what.. you can convert your info over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetmann View Post
    I use a Mac and Markspace's Missing Sync software. I synched my 700p before sending it back, installed the WinMobile version of Missing Sync, and synched the 700wx and everything came over like a charm including my calendar events.

I don't know how this would work on a PC or a Mac without Missing Sync installed. Hope that helped!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Had problem stating that my username and password were incorrect when I was on EVDO. On 1x seemed to work fine. Spoke with VZW tech many times until one removed the dataplan and readded it this seemed to correct the problem