Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    As far as I can determine everything that can be turned off is turned off. I performed a hard reset two weeks ago and have let the battery run down until it was completely discharged and then left it plugged in to the AC adapter for 8 hours. At this point in time I am in an area that has no reception, but I'm sure that the phone is completely off, so it can't be constantly in search mode. I purchased an additional battery, and I find that this behavior is the same with either one. I am still within the period of time when I can return the Treo for a replacement. However, I'd rather find a way to get this 680 to perform as expected than go through the whole exchange routine. So, is 2.5% an hour drain with everything off a sign that I have a serious problem, or is this something that some more tinkering can resolve? Thanks.
    2.5% per hour -> 40 hours for full discharge = 3 days 4 hours
    That's pretty good.

Are you sure nothing else is running?

You say the phone is off. Have you pressed the red power button to turn it off? Does it say "Phone Off" when you are on the phone screen?

Are you running Versamail in a polling mode? (Is it checking for mail every now and again?)

Are you running battery graph or something else like that?

To be absolutely sure your unit was the only thing causing the drain, you would need to hard reset the device (losing all your custom apps and data) and run with the phone off for more than 3 days.

Bottom line - it seems like reasonable battery life to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    ... 40 hours for full discharge = 3 days 4 hours
    l..
    Huh?

Okay, right. On Jupiter that would be almost four days, rounded off. But not Scandinavia.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm not aware that Versamail has a "polling mode". Or is that the same thing as Auto Sync? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $every$ $possible$ $automated$ $feature$ $is$ $off$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $Bluetooth$ $and$ $IR$. $I$ $have$ $deleted$ $HourlyXCast$ $because$ $that$ $strikes$ $me$ $as$ $being$ $a$ $possible$ $candidate$ $for$ $battery$ $consumption$.
    what!? there aren't 12 hours in a day?

alrighty, it's been a long day and I plead a brain fart! ;-)

36 hours seems short then... when not on Jupiter.

If Versamail is polling in the background, the phone and then the network gets turned on. Does Versamail ever turn the network and phone back off?
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    What programs do you currently have installed, and is the data connection active?
    Oh how I miss the good old battery related posts...

Three letters...TGP

The Glen Phenomenon. It is very real, it is an annoying bug that hits whenever you fail to hang up on a call before the caller, and it causes the battery to drain at 3 or 4 times the normal rate in standby mode until you fix it, and you can fix it with a soft reset. There are lots of posts about it earlier this year that I wont bother to repeat here. This will cause a drain rate of 2.5% per hour as per the first post in this thread.

Dont believe it exists...try this. Soft reset after your next full charge, then, every time you get a call, make sure you hang up before the caller does, or if you arent sure you did, soft reset. or to be safe, just soft reset after every call. See how much longer your battery lasts.

It is extremely annoying that Palm have failed to recognise or acknowledge that it is a problem.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Oh how I miss the good old battery related posts...

Three letters...TGP

The Glen Phenomenon. It is very real, it is an annoying bug that hits whenever you fail to hang up on a call before the caller, and it causes the battery to drain at 3 or 4 times the normal rate in standby mode until you fix it, and you can fix it with a soft reset. There are lots of posts about it earlier this year that I wont bother to repeat here. This will cause a drain rate of 2.5% per hour as per the first post in this thread.

Dont believe it exists...try this. Soft reset after your next full charge, then, every time you get a call, make sure you hang up before the caller does, or if you arent sure you did, soft reset. or to be safe, just soft reset after every call. See how much longer your battery lasts.

It is extremely annoying that Palm have failed to recognise or acknowledge that it is a problem.
    Every Palm device I have ever owned has had it own particular quirks. So the TGP makes perfect sense to me.

Here's there's a problem with that particular theory. I bought the 680 and then within 24 hours was flying off to Nova Scotia. I have made only one phone call (from Newark Airport) and that's it! Since then; multiple soft resets and a hard reset. Our summer house is in a small area where we can only get a weak Aliant (CDMA) signal. I have no idea if that could play any role.

As for extra software: DateMan; FileZ; GetGood (what IS that?);GoogleMaps; IBM Java; KBLights; Mortgage; IconManager; PalmLight; PDoan; StockBrokerPro (completely deactivated AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK ); $SolFree$; $SuperNames$ $and$ $Yahdice$. $I$ $haven$'$t$ $had$ $a$ $chance$ $to$ $see$ $if$ $deleting$ $HourlyXCast$ $has$ $made$ $a$ $difference$ $because$ $I$ $had$ $to$ $keep$ $my$ $680$ $plugged$ $overnight$ $to$ $utilize$ $alarm$ $its$ $alarm$ $clock$. $My$ $clock$ $app$ $is$ $set$ $on$ $manual$.

I have a 2 GB mini Sandisk SD card that has no programs or data stored on it whatsoever. My inclination is to give the 680 ROM a go and see if that corrects any possible firmware problem.
    If the device is that new, then the battery probably hasn't been charged enough times to get to it's true full capacity. It takes a few charges of a Li-ion battery to get it to hold a full capacity. So it could just be you haven't hit the full capacity of the battery just yet, so battery usage will seem greater.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
    If the device is that new, then the battery probably hasn't been charged enough times to get to it's true full capacity. It takes a few charges of a Li-ion battery to get it to hold a full capacity. So it could just be you haven't hit the full capacity of the battery just yet, so battery usage will seem greater.
    I've done several of the soft reset then charge fixes. But I have only done one of the complete battery drain, then fully charge cycles. My iPod required several rounds before it's battery began to function to specs. I suppose a few more tries won't hurt anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikondave View Post
    I've done several of the soft reset then charge fixes. But I have only done one of the complete battery drain, then fully charge cycles. My iPod required several rounds before it's battery began to function to specs. I suppose a few more tries won't hurt anything.
    Sounds to me like you are using the old 'scandinavian fish dance' trick to calibrate your battery. That doesnt work. You just need to drain the battery until the 680 completely shuts down and cant be restarted, then fully charge. It is then calibrated.

Try this easy test to see if you are suffering from TGP...put the back of the treo to your ear and press a button (eg. the home or SMS mail button). If you hear a loudish hiss coming from the back speaker, this is related to TGP. After a soft reset, this should be fixed (or very much quieter/barely audible). TGP comes and goes, because incoming calls can trigger it and also remove it, so this could explain your variable drain.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Sounds to me like you are using the old 'scandinavian fish dance' trick to calibrate your battery. That doesnt work. You just need to drain the battery until the 680 completely shuts down and cant be restarted, then fully charge. It is then calibrated.

Try this easy test to see if you are suffering from TGP...put the back of the treo to your ear and press a button (eg. the home or SMS mail button). If you hear a loudish hiss coming from the back speaker, this is related to TGP. After a soft reset, this should be fixed (or very much quieter/barely audible). TGP comes and goes, because incoming calls can trigger it and also remove it, so this could explain your variable drain.
    Can't be TGP. I have made, literally, ONE call with my 680. It arrived as I was on my way out the door to the airport. I had enough time and an available outlet to got it set up while at a layover in Newark. Where I am right now, there is no signal that any TMobile or Rogers phone can detect, plus I did the who customized ROM thing and that would have to end any possible lingering TGP issue. I had a battery issue with my Treo 300. Before I threw in the towel and sent it back to Palm, I bought a new battery and that made all the difference in the world. Now, I have to wonder how likely it could be that I would have 2 bad batteries, but I might buy one of the 1600mAH batteries and see how that does. Regardless of the fate of this handset, I will still use the larger capacity battery.
    I am not an observing TGPist, but I must say that the customized ROM doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. TGP is idopathic and, therefore, there is nothing known that you can do that will remove it.

Let's put it this way. If you had TGP but you were in a forest, and nobody around, would the trees know?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I am not an observing TGPist, but I must say that the customized ROM doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. TGP is idopathic and, therefore, there is nothing known that you can do that will remove it.

Let's put it this way. If you had TGP but you were in a forest, and nobody around, would the trees know?
    This is interesting. Since prior to performing the customized ROM update one has to perform a hard reset, and then the ROM update is making some pretty major changes to your set of programs, wouldn't that process have to kill any latent search for a network or any other issue that was keeping your 680 from fully "hanging up".
    I don't know. But since we don't really know what causes TGP, nor even if it exists, it's hard to say. I know I saw one post that implied it is in the nature of the Treo's phone app, but I haven't a clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I don't know. But since we don't really know what causes TGP, nor even if it exists, it's hard to say. I know I saw one post that implied it is in the nature of the Treo's phone app, but I haven't a clue.
    I am quite sure that TGP exists, I have tested it many times and it is easy to induce and easy to correct. Others have verified this, including Glen, the G, in TGP, and others on other sites. I dare you to listen to your back speaker (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).
    On the other hand, of the three elements--T,G, and O, only one has verified this. Rather slim evidence, I would say.

I have on rare occasions detected a low hiss on the speaker, but I really doubt very often, and I am very rarely the first person to hang up on a call (if you get my drift...).