1.    #1  
    I'm a new Treo owner. I've been reading the freeware thread and would like to install about 5-6 applications on my Treo.

What is the best way to backup my Treo prior to loading any applications? I'm still nervous that some of these applications may adversely affect the performance of my 755 after installed.

Thanks,

Rick

PS, I want to install:

Checklist, Directory Assistance, MundaRadio, SNAP, and TCPMP
    NVBackup, and if you like to spend some money, RescoBackup.
  3.    #3  
    Is this the course of action you would take? This will help protect me if for some reason I notice a problem after installing the applications? I plan on installing the apps to my 1gig card.

Thanks for the input.

Rick
    There is nothing to really back up before you install 3rd party apps. If something goes awry, do a hard reset, and you are back to your pristine preinstall state.
  5.    #5  
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. A hard reset is the same as reformating. I have contacts added but could easily resynch them.

I don't want to decrease my Treo performance adding a few applications.
    Exactly, a hard reset is a reformat.

I have close to 70 apps on my 755, and no problems yet. I would definitely make NVBAckup one of the first apps I install on my Treo and card, because once you do start installing your apps, if you happen to install a "bad" one, this way you can roll back to your last good backup.
    The two applications mentioned, NVBackup and RescoBackup are excellent applications. The advantage to a device based backup is:

#1) Restoring on the road (or the air, the water, space, the bathroom) is done regardless of where the laptop or desktop is at.

#2) A good backup application allows you to have several backups to choose from (regardless of where you are, the air, the water, space, the bathroom).

#3) Device based backups are quick and easy (regardless...)

Ben
  8.    #8  
    Ok, again thanks everyone for the advice. This is good infor as I start to venture out and do more with my Treo
    Use NVBackup or Resco Backup so that restore from card quickly versus slower Hotsync.
    None of the chosen app should cause a problem; however, I suggest adding one app at a time so that you can determine which app caused the problem.
    I suggest
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Carl. I was reading your thread on free aps and that got me started. Since posting, there are a few more I want to add. I'm up to about seven and who knows if a few more will be found.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Use NVBackup or Resco Backup so that restore from card quickly versus slower Hotsync.
    None of the chosen app should cause a problem; however, I suggest adding one app at a time so that you can determine which app caused the problem.
    I suggest
    You shouldn't do a complete restore via Hotsync period, unless restoring only PIM info. Restoring apps via Hotsync results in Restore complete with applications via NVBackup or RescoBackup.
    at&t iPhone3G