1.    #1  
    I have a T680 and I'm about half way through my free trial. I have a couple of questions that I can't answer after looking through the manual, and the FAQ. Some of the mailbox stuff was confusing for me.

1. On my Treo, how can I create misc. folders to store emails? I would love to have a trash folder where seleted mail could go for a few days, and, say a folder for travel itineraries, etc?

2. Does chatter sometimes cause the Treo to turn off? 5 or 6 times now, my Treo has been off without being commanded to do so. I tried the "*#337" without any luck...

thanks a lot,

Purdue
    #1 - ChatterEmail does not support "local" folders for IMAP. What is on the server and the device should ideally be the same in order to properly sync; however, you do not have to have all of the server folders on the device. The sync process is handled at the server level with the server pushing the sync through to your device. A local folder cannot be sync'd to if it does not exist on the server.

The POP implementation does not support local folders either.

A mailbox can be set to poll for mail every X minutes, but it does not turn the Treo itself off. What you may be experiencing is not really an "off" state. Instead, it is possible the ChatterEmail may be establishing contact with the server, data network, et cetera and when that happens, a delay in the screen coming on may occur. Signal strength, network conditions, and such do make a difference in responsiveness.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    #1 - ChatterEmail does not support "local" folders for IMAP. What is on the server and the device should ideally be the same in order to properly sync; however, you do not have to have all of the server folders on the device. The sync process is handled at the server level with the server pushing the sync through to your device. A local folder cannot be sync'd to if it does not exist on the server.

The POP implementation does not support local folders either.

A mailbox can be set to poll for mail every X minutes, but it does not turn the Treo itself off. What you may be experiencing is not really an "off" state. Instead, it is possible the ChatterEmail may be establishing contact with the server, data network, et cetera and when that happens, a delay in the screen coming on may occur. Signal strength, network conditions, and such do make a difference in responsiveness.

Ben
    Ben,

So there is no way to have an "unsynced" folder? Just a folder that I could reference if I need it?

Those 5-6 times, my treo says "phone off" in the top corner. Chatter is the only new program I have installed in a long time...

Thanks a lot,

Purdue
    No folder has to be sync'd than the INBOX. If you want to store stuff in the folder though, it must exist on the server in order for it to end up in the folder on the device.

I use to IMAP services. Each IMAP service has one box that is on line, the rest are off line. When a message comes in, I have the option of leaving it in the inbox or moving it to another folder. The folder does not have to be sync'd to the device. If I need to obtain the message, I then select the folder on the device and then sync back X days to get the message.

Chatter does not control the phone, only the data network. There is a setting for that in the mail box preferences under Other - sleep hours - that is there to disconnect you from the data network between specific hours, nothing to do with the phone network.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Ok Ben. That makes sense, I think I got it. However, using a free fastmail account coupled with Gmail, I'm unable to set up "offline" folders. I can set up the folders on fastmail, but they don't appear on my treo. When I try to setup the "same name" folder on the Treo, it says that "no such folder exists on the server."

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Purdue
    Last edited by purdue1014; 08/07/2007 at 10:37 PM.
    The folders must be created on the server first. Then from within the ChatterEmail main box definition screen you must download the folder list. After that, give it a go.

Ben
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The folders must be created on the server first. Then from within the ChatterEmail main box definition screen you must download the folder list. After that, give it a go.

Ben
    Thanks a bunch Ben, everything has been working great with your help!
    Good. Once you catch on with it, you will find it exceedingly flexible.

Ben
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I recently helped a colleague with a demo install of Chatter. His inbox includes messages outside the 5 day sync window. How do I purge those messages from the Treo without deleting them from the server?

thanks,

avid

(a recent snapper switcher)
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Since I said "questions" in my prior post, here is one more:

Can you "lock" an IMAP message and prevent it from cycling off the Treo when it falls outside the sync window?

Thanks,

aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    I just downloaded chatter and opened a Fastmail member account. I forward my Yahoo mail to my fastmail account and then have it pushed to my Treo 680 via Chatter. Works great, the only problem is that I get duplicate messages. When I look at my FastMail online, there appears to be only one copy of the message, but two show up on Chatter. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

David
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    Since I said "questions" in my prior post, here is one more:

Can you "lock" an IMAP message and prevent it from cycling off the Treo when it falls outside the sync window?

Thanks,

aviduser
    Fom the mailbox or summary view tap the messicon on the left and choose "lock".

From within the message push menu and lock is near the bottom of the menu.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I recently helped a colleague with a demo install of Chatter. His inbox includes messages outside the 5 day sync window. How do I purge those messages from the Treo without deleting them from the server?

thanks,

avid

(a recent snapper switcher)
    Did you try menu-L to take it offline then same thing to bring it back online? Any time I have had this happen this resolved it.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Fom the mailbox or summary view tap the messicon on the left and choose "lock".

From within the message push menu and lock is near the bottom of the menu.
    So, if I lock a message, will it remain in the inbox on my treo even after it falls outside the sync window for Chatter?
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Did you try menu-L to take it offline then same thing to bring it back online? Any time I have had this happen this resolved it.
    I will try this and post the result.

Thanks,

avid
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I will try this and post the result.

Thanks,

avid
    No, didn't work. I think because we are not using IDLE & are only using quicksync. I tried changing the sync window, reloading the mailbox, etc. and I am still getting messages back to June (instead of just 5 days ago).

Any other ideas?

thanks,

avid
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    So, if I lock a message, will it remain in the inbox on my treo even after it falls outside the sync window for Chatter?
    That is exactly what it is for.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Is there a tutorial I might use to learn how to synchronize my folders between the 755p and the fastmail account?. It's explained for common web browsers and I cannot find step by step instructions for chatteremail and fast mail synchronization.
    TIA
    D.
    First set up the folders on the server. Then set up the main mail box within ChatterEmail. Then down at the bottom of that mail box you will see an option to "reload folder list" and that is where the real work is done. You can name a folder on the Treo anything you want, as long as you match it against an entry in the folder list.

Ben