Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found that letting the battery get below 20% seemed to cause it to drain really fast. I try to charge now when I am around 40% to 50%. If I know I am going somewhere and want to be sure I have enough juice I will charge even if I am at 80%. I know that Lion batteries have a certin number of charges and that topping them off counts as only a partial charge, not a full one.
    Sometimes I charge up at 40% when I know I will leaving home or work and want a full charge. Other times I may go all the way to an empty battery icon (no red at all) and then put it on the charger and keep on doing what I was doing. It depends on the circumstances.

I have not seen any changes in the battery draining patterns that are extreme in any way.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I never analized it to that point as far as partial and full charges according to a batteries life relating to charging cycles. So its better to charge three times more than needed to make more partial charges to get more duration out of your battery than apposed to charging less with complete charges after running on empty. I hate always plugging my Treo in and charging it so I am a bad boy. I won't plug my Treo in until I reach 1-5% at times...lol. I give her one full charge thru the night when sleep and depending on my usage I will run her dry by the end of the day or if I end the day with 60% or higher, I won't charge it at all and get a second day out of my Treo running it bone dry. Charging is Psychologically to me...its like filling up your gas tank to get to a destination...why keep topping it off on the way there if I have enough gas to get there in the first place.
    at&t iPhone3G
    With these types of batteries you really want to charge them often and not let it get any lower then you can prevent. This will add to the life of the pack.

They are not like the older style of packs where you want them to get as low as possible before charging otherwise called cycling them.

If by a charger then plug it in.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckRman2 View Post
    With these types of batteries you really want to charge them often and not let it get any lower then you can prevent. This will add to the life of the pack.

They are not like the older style of packs where you want them to get as low as possible before charging otherwise called cycling them.

If by a charger then plug it in.
    I agree, that is why I need to stop what I am doing.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    There's been a few times when I don't charge mine until its say your treo will shut down in 10..9...8.. LOL but normally I never even pay mind to the level just at the end of the night i plug it up. No problems so far
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  7.    #7  
    WreckRman, I am with ya on this! Everything I have read seems to indicate this is the best way to handle these batteries.
    Informative thread. I was wondering what the best strategy to maximize battery life.

So its, charge frequently. Is this the case with all new cell phone batteries or just Treos?

Thanks ,

Rick
    It's kinda like never passing up a chance to use a bathroom when you spot one. I never pass up an opportunity to charge my Treo when I'm near the charger.
    Good Luck.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    so, is it better to always leave it on a charger when possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    so, is it better to always leave it on a charger when possible?
    That's what I do.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Some days with the 600, 650 and 700p I couldn't make it through the day without running out of juice. With the battery capacity loss of 15% on the 755 it's even worse. All along my habit became charging up as often as I had an opportunity - car, desk, bed, etc - and also bought a spare battery.

I think it's like a restroom being mandatory in any bar - your internal capacity is unable to support continuing your intended activities without the availability of the external assistance. Ignore it at your peril!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Is there any rated lifespan to a Treo battery?
    I have had my first and original 700p for a year and a half now and I can still get a couple of days out of it with moderate use and I run her almost dry at times and below 15% most of the time...and I believe its bad for the battery but I don't like plugging it in all the time. I strive for battery life so I don't have to plug it in and keep topping it off. I plan on getting an extended battery, and with that I will get worse(i.e. from what I see on the forums of its performance, I want have to charge for two or three days ).
    at&t iPhone3G
  15.    #15  
    Good analogy Turbo and Joad. Here is what Palm says in the manual:

Charge your device whenever you’re at your desk, or charge it overnight each day. The Lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, versus charging it after it is fully drained.
    Do you guys think its normal for the battery to run out in about 12 hours or so. My 755p battery is completely done in about 12 hours. I have exchange email with it and and I talk about 30-45 minutes on it through the day.
    I charge my Treo every day, sometimes more than once a day, and I don't leave it plugged in (after a full charge). By the end of the day the device is approx 50% drained. But I am not a "heavy" user; no music or too many alarms or IR/ BT and very few phone calls. I mainly use it for email w/ ChatterEmail.

Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by rikishah View Post
    Do you guys think its normal for the battery to run out in about 12 hours or so. My 755p battery is completely done in about 12 hours. I have exchange email with it and and I talk about 30-45 minutes on it through the day.
    Depends on how you define "normal".

Talking for an hour should only drain the battery about 25%, more or less. An active data connection that isn't polling often should only drain it another 25% over the course of a day.

If you're in a low signal area and polling every minute, I can see your battery draining that fast.

Think of this: if you're sitting in front of a computer, you do not need email running on your Treo... you just don't, unless you have an unusual circumstance. Nor do you generally need Exchange polling every minute. If you can, perhaps try to get it to poll once every fifteen minutes or some other similar value. That will definitely increase your battery life.

There are always exceptions to this... guys who are so paranoid of missing something, or business-people who are always on the road.

But, some things to think about. I keep my data connection off unless I'm away from home for a long time because it's only my personal email (nothing that can't wait) and I'm in front of a computer day and night, so I don't need my Treo to read mail.

Tom
    Hobbyist Software has a Beta on their site called Power Hero! A great app for controlling Phone, Bluetooth, keyboard, Infrared and automatically shutting down the network, saving you battery for when you need it. I've noticed a definite improvement since I installed.
    I actually need the push email all day because I'm not in front my desk, but when I had a 700p I never had this problem. At the end of the day, as far as I can remember, I would still end up having like 30-40% of battery left that was good for a day and a half. So using comparisons, is it normal for 755p be 0 in about half the day or so from 9 am to around 10 pm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast