1.    #1  
    Hey guys, as the title says, I was wondering if you would recommend I upgrade from my palm 650 to a HTC Mogul.

Would the jump be drastic? Is Windows Mobile 6 good? Thanks for any input
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Do you love the Palm OS? If so, have you looked at the 755p?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  3.    #3  
    The Palm OS interface is nice and clean, but i hate how slow navigation through the menus is...especially through my picture album. Also, i was hoping the windows mobile would be good enough to be an extension of my desktop...is this an accurate assumption to make? will the phone perform well?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    great... i closed the window.

umm... the 755p and 680 have a new media manager which is whicked fast. i almost never took photos on my 650, didnt bother because of the speed and because it was bad quality. the 755p has a 1.3MP camera and the same Media manager as the 680. the 680's media is amazing, im constantly snapping photos! same with video clips!

whats your desktop setup like? WM has some performance issues. I have a Dash and it gets cloged down a lot. Is a lot of your use on your smartphone messaging and PIM data (contacts, calendars, tasks, memos)?
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  5.    #5  
    im using windows media center and have tons of word/excel docs that i originally used my treo 650 for in class..but docs to go had bugs and always reset on me. i was hoping the mogul would fix those performance problems..but i use my smart phone for a lot of txt messaging, e-mail, and with the E V-DO, i would use it for websurfing much much more (650 was horribly slow). and i want to use my new phone for more calendar tasks yes.

and another thing i didnt like about hte 650 was that it was slow to take/save photos/videos...and you're saying the media manager on the 755p is incredibly faster? i'll have to take a look into that
  6.    #6  
    also one of my main concerns is...if i use the internet on the Mogul, will i run into the same problem as with my 650 where i can't get calls? because my phone will be using data..?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    well you can get calls while surfing the net, but it will disconnect from whatever you are doing on the internet. Only EvDO Rev. A is capable of voice&data at the same time. I think either the Mogul has it, or will have it via software update.

WM does NOT have threaded txting. What DocsToGo does ur 650 has... im guessing version7? I know my Treo 680 came with version 8 which I use constantly now, I want version10 though.

if you are using PIM constantly, Palm OS is it. it takes forever to get to the calendar in Windows Mobile- reason I dont have the Treo 750 honestly.

Yes, I think the 650 was one of the worst Treo's Palm has ever made now that I have a better one. the 600 was stable, the 650 was VERY unstable. the 680's and 755p's have restored this stabability! im glad too, I almost purchased a HTC S710 (Vox) instead of my Treo 680.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
  8.    #8  
    no threaded txting?!?!? thats a real bummer...i loved that feature from the treos...this will definately be a factor in my decision thanks so much for your help
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoxic View Post
    no threaded txting?!?!? thats a real bummer...i loved that feature from the treos...this will definately be a factor in my decision thanks so much for your help
    yeah, that made me really give up the HTC S710, well... and not having the cash at the time never helps lol. Also- last time I checked, the Treo 700w/wx also does not have threaded txting, only the 750 on WM side by Palm does.

ps: u can add a after market program called TEXTR
    http://www.mykesoft.com/textr/
    but I have tried it on the T-Mobile MDA and Treo 700w and don't see the tie in like the Palm OS Treo's and Treo 750 have.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    You can install the threaded texting on any WM5 or WM6 phone. Many here including Hannip and Cody adapted the threaded texting from the 750 to other WM phones.

I ran it on my 700wx and now on my Mogul.

6800 Customized Version of Threaded SMS
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...light=threaded

Regular Version with detailed instructions
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=threaded

Going from a PalmOS Treo to the Mogul will be a huge change for you. You will be changing to a new OS as well as a new form factor. I love my Mogul, but its not for everyone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    You can install the threaded texting on any WM5 or WM6 phone. Many here including Hannip and Cody adapted the threaded texting from the 750 to other WM phones.

I ran it on my 700wx and now on my Mogul.

6800 Customized Version of Threaded SMS
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...light=threaded

Regular Version with detailed instructions
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=threaded

Going from a PalmOS Treo to the Mogul will be a huge change for you. You will be changing to a new OS as well as a new form factor. I love my Mogul, but its not for everyone.
    dtoxic, as the post says, threaded SMS can be done on the Mogul. I also have to agree that the Mogul is not for everyone. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep mine or go with the 755p.

My biggest concern is bluetooth; not just with the headset while connected, but being able to use multiple BT devices at the same time instead of one at a time.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  12.    #12  
    well it turns out i have an old Sprint contract which is pretty cheap and gives me free txting and data...and i really dont wanna pay 50+ each month to keep the mogul and update to the power vision plans...so im finding ways to tweak my 650 out as much as possible...any ideas?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I dont know if this would apply to anyone that moved from a 600 to 650, but when I did (Oh so long ago), PV was automatic; at least thats what the good people of Sprint told me.
    ~ ScandaLous ~