Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys,

As a former Treo 700p user (now iPhone user), I realized that there's a problem with a phone platform that requires forums to make it work. Shouldn't the phone just work out of the box? Why should the user be the tester for them? Why shouldn't it be clear and not require people explaining where to find things.

Perhaps the Treo will be where the iPhone is now. Now, the iPhone isn't perfect (hoping for numerous patches within the month) but it is a 1st generation next-generation device that has unlimited possibilities. The 700p felt dated right out of the box.

Perhaps Palm will get there. I sincerely don't think they ever will with Hawkins as CEO - they need some fresh thinking.

Good luck.
    Alex
    MacRumors Iphone Tips, Help and troubleshooting

iPhone forum at Apple

iPhone forum at Howard Forums

- - Got kicked out of the Apple store today
    tonyayo 08-04-2007 08:50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got kicked out of the Apple store today

So I had my iPhone for around 4 days. The battery would not hold a charge. I deiced I don't have time to deal with a phone that hasn't been though development. I didn't have the time to be a beta tester and go through 5 phones before I found the one that actually worked 90%.

No matter how much you love your iPhone you have to admit - it is a beta. It has not been fully tested, it is lacking features out the ****, but it is great at surfing the web and Google maps. But as a phone it is severely lacking.

My other beef is with iTunes - it would be nice if it just had a file system so you didn't have to use iTunes to get all the data though - like Nokia does with Bluetooth. Did Apple is trying to integrate it's self into their products more then Microsoft does.

Now for every phone there are things that you will love and hate. With this phone - I hated the entire phone. Loved the internet, Google maps, and processing speed. Still an awesome device in my opinion, yet - not a phone.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1215574

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBien View Post
    Guys,

Perhaps the Treo will be where the iPhone is now. Now, the iPhone isn't perfect (hoping for numerous patches within the month) but it is a 1st generation next-generation device that has unlimited possibilities. The 700p felt dated right out of the box.

Good luck.
    Alex
    Uh, didn't the fifth generation Ipod feel "dated" out of the box? The iphone, while sexy, doesn't have near the capabilities of the Treo. No need to argue about this though. The iphone is for a different group of people. The Treo is often purchased by power users, who try to squeeze the most out of their device and enjoy tweaking and problem-solving.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBien View Post
    Guys,

As a former Treo 700p user (now iPhone user), I realized that there's a problem with a phone platform that requires forums to make it work. Shouldn't the phone just work out of the box? Why should the user be the tester for them? Why shouldn't it be clear and not require people explaining where to find things.

Perhaps Palm will get there. I sincerely don't think they ever will with Hawkins as CEO - they need some fresh thinking.

Good luck.
    Alex
    Forums? You mean like this (http://www.everythingiphone.com/foru...al-discussion/) with unhappy customers posting?

People that think the iPhone is great are not the people that get the most use out of their Treos. They certainly aren't interested in fast downloads, editing Office documents, and being able to change your battery if it runs down. I happen to have been lucky, I guess, with almost no problems with my Treo. My kids love iPhones. Nuff said.
    What a lame idea for a thread.
    Someone has an inferiority complex and needs to buy an iPhone to feel special. I had an iPhone for exactly 3 days before taking it back. Here's why:

• Antenna is in the BOTTOM of the unit. Signal drops 2 bars when you hold it at the bottom, like most people hold a phone.
    • No cut-and-paste... A "revolutionary phone" without cut-and-paste ROFL!
    • It's designed to look sexy, but is not a functional design. The phone constantly slips out of your hand, and it's impossible to type on the tiny virtual keyboard using the vertical orientation (only web browser works in landscape orientation).
    • No data-only plan despite AT&T offering such plans on their other PDAs. No option for deaf people who do not need or want a voice plan.
    • Yahoo "push" email is a joke, it doesn't work consistently.
    • It's a great "wow" phone, but has little substance for those of us who need to be productive with our PDAs.

I know this thread is flame bait, but I did want to post my iPhone experience somewhere. Right now, for me, the Treo 700wx (not the POS models) is an ideal form factor with a great OS that lets me do what I need to do.
    TreoBien must be bored.
    Speaking of working out of the box... why has there been almost 7 generations of ipods? they need 7 new models to work?
    I like the Treo forums! Who would want a phone that you can't try new and different things with?
    When the Apple "Newton" was released, there was a comment I read (can't rememember the magazine ("Fortune" I think, no blogs or forums then)) - "Does that thing come with a user manual? If it does, then it is a failure."

Dumb products!
    I smell a troll...4 posts and a comment like this one...gotta be a troll.

Any popular product will end up with a forum online.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    <No comment>

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I think the inherent problem is the user...lol

the iphone is the new AOL..designed for the simple minded. It's a symbol..wear it proudly..
    I picked up the iphone and I have been a Treo600 and 700P user. I can say both phones have their pluses and minuses. As a web/email device, the iphone blows away any handheld device. I haven't activated with AT&T, just used one of the many activation hacks and am using it as a PDA/iPod. I will wait to see what the hacker community does.

I am still sticking with my Treo700P. But I will keep my iPDA, err iPhone around. I have owned a Palm device, since the Palm Professional and wish Palm would have continued to evolve, instead of resting on their laurels. Now if Palm can take some of the iPhone ideas and implement them, then they will get my business again. For instance, having a wifi capability and carrier based internet. What a GREAT idea. Why didn't Palm implement this? They have done it in the Palm TX.

Anyway, I still am a Treo/Palm fan, but I think the iPhone is definitely as step in the right direction.
    "Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay."
    Don't forget iphoneology from the people behind 1src as well as Tyler, Jimmie and others ...

<says mp ignoring the obvious troll like post of the OP>
    But where will all the Treo freaks and power users go if there are no forums (shutters at the thought)...
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Well these forums are only for the grownups. The kiddies need to go back to the iPhone forums. Oops I forgot iPhone doesn't need forums .

I'm sure there are 1000's of Treo users btw that never use these forums. But us power users like to squeeze every ounce of power out of the thing.

And I notice that Treobien has not responded to a single reply here. Clear evidence of trolling. Nice job TB, you got yourself creamed real good .
    LMFAO cardfan!

My thoughts exactly. IPhones are for teenagers and scenesters.

/runs from the flames licking at my heels
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    There is an inherent problem with anything you buy:
    Treos
    Iphones
    PS2s
    PS3s
    xbox 360s
    Sony notebook batteries
    using cheap capacitors on motherboards
    Early Western Digital Hard drives
    Early Windows Vista Adopters
    etc. etc. etc.
  20.    #20  
    What's up with this response? Inferiority complex? I'm a mac user since 1984 and a supporter of the Apple brand and products. I am also (was) a Treo fan, since the 700p let me down (gave it to my 16-yo niece).

Guys, I was only trying to point out an inherent product flaw if it relies on forums.

Take care y'all -- I'll go look for adults to have a conversation with. Don't forget to drink your juice boxes and change your diapers, kids.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    Someone has an inferiority complex and needs to buy an iPhone to feel special. I had an iPhone for exactly 3 days before taking it back. Here's why:

• Antenna is in the BOTTOM of the unit. Signal drops 2 bars when you hold it at the bottom, like most people hold a phone.
    • No cut-and-paste... A "revolutionary phone" without cut-and-paste ROFL!
    • It's designed to look sexy, but is not a functional design. The phone constantly slips out of your hand, and it's impossible to type on the tiny virtual keyboard using the vertical orientation (only web browser works in landscape orientation).
    • No data-only plan despite AT&T offering such plans on their other PDAs. No option for deaf people who do not need or want a voice plan.
    • Yahoo "push" email is a joke, it doesn't work consistently.
    • It's a great "wow" phone, but has little substance for those of us who need to be productive with our PDAs.

I know this thread is flame bait, but I did want to post my iPhone experience somewhere. Right now, for me, the Treo 700wx (not the POS models) is an ideal form factor with a great OS that lets me do what I need to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast