Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBien View Post
    What's up with this response? Inferiority complex? I'm a mac user since 1984 and a supporter of the Apple brand and products. I am also (was) a Treo fan, since the 700p let me down (gave it to my 16-yo niece).

Guys, I was only trying to point out an inherent product flaw if it relies on forums.

Take care y'all -- I'll go look for adults to have a conversation with. Don't forget to drink your juice boxes and change your diapers, kids.

Alex
    I notice you didn't address any of the comments about all the complaints about the iPhone, especially it's inability to be a productive work device, and the existence of multiple forums for it. If you want to limit yourself to Edge, listen to music, and impress people who will ooh and ahhh over the screen, sounds like you found your dream device. If you want to be able to edit, cut and paste and enter text rapidly, you might want to keep looking. Like Trix, iPhones are for kids.
    Hey but at least Palm did something right. Our phones have replaceable batteries that the end user can do himself. Imagine that. If the iphone didn't say Apple on it, nobody would care.
    I'd agree with part of his sentiment- I mean- how many posts have there been about the sprint mr toasting machines. how many threads have I read about treo's dying.

Part of this might be people are motivated to complain when something doesn't work- but when my treo started to fritz out and needed to be replaced, I realized that treo's just aren't good quality.

But you've got to be on crack to go from an evdo network on the 700p (that to me is slow as molasses) to use that pathetic option that Apple went with.
    What's up with this response? Inferiority complex? I'm a mac user since 1984 and a supporter of the Apple brand and products. I am also (was) a Treo fan, since the 700p let me down (gave it to my 16-yo niece).

Guys, I was only trying to point out an inherent product flaw if it relies on forums.

Take care y'all -- I'll go look for adults to have a conversation with. Don't forget to drink your juice boxes and change your diapers, kids.

Alex
    Nice generalization....it's a shame that an "adult" like you can't separate individual comments from the whole group. If you can find a forum out there where you get nothing but positive responses to uninformed posts, please let us know.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The only thing revolutionary about the iPhone is the user interface -- and it is an amazing interface -- but almost everything else about it prevents it from being a serious PDA. But then again, Apple never claimed the iPhone to be a PDA.

If you browse the Apple iPhone support forums, you will find plenty of problems. There are many forums dedicated to iPhone support, and the iPhone had its share of trouble from day one. Treos definitely have their issues -- the PalmOS units seem to be plagued with the most problems -- but I suspect there are a far greater number of Treo owners than iPhone owners, so naturally a larger share of problems.

The iPhone's biggest stumbling block is the insane commitment Apple made to AT&T -- let's take a "revolutionary" phone and handicap it with the nation's crappiest and slowest cellular network with the highest number of dissatisfied users. I will never give another dime of my money to Cingular/ATT, no matter how cutting edge their devices. A device is only as good as the network that supports it, and Cingular has repeatedly proven that it is the worst by far.

If Apple wants a serious PDA, it needs to beef up the iPhone's software, allow real 3rd party applications (not this web application nonsense), and make it available in a CDMA version. Until those things happen, it will be seen as a novelty rather than a must-have.
  6.    #26  
    Going from EV to ATT EDGE was always the biggest issue. Before I made the decision to switch, I did random load tests side-by-side with friends that had it and even in-store (nyc area).

I weighed the results not only on speed but by the overall experience. First on speed, I don't have actual load times but if I type in cnn.com right now on a Treo, it will take a ****load of time for it to load this complete web page. Plus, while it's loading, you really can't do much until its completely there. On the iPhone, the network may be slower compared to EV but the experience is much different. It will load a full web page more intelligently—loading the structure and text/links first and then flowing in the images. With that, you could actually click/zoom around without having to wait. Granted, if you're in an area with low coverage, it will be slower than molasses and I abandon it altogether.

But a mobile smartphone is really about getting information quickly. And technically, loading these complex web pages is nice but not a necessity. If I really want data quickly I still go to the same "mobile" sites I visited as a treo user.

So, I agree, Treo wins for the overall network speed and reliability (Verizon) but loses for user experience. I do put an asterisk to this statement that I know there's a lot to fix still on this initial iphone launch but I would never, ever go back to a Treo after the disaster named 700p.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    I'd agree with part of his sentiment- I mean- how many posts have there been about the sprint mr toasting machines. how many threads have I read about treo's dying.

Part of this might be people are motivated to complain when something doesn't work- but when my treo started to fritz out and needed to be replaced, I realized that treo's just aren't good quality.

But you've got to be on crack to go from an evdo network on the 700p (that to me is slow as molasses) to use that pathetic option that Apple went with.
    You think it is THAT bad and you gave it to your neice?? roflmao!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Hey but at least Palm did something right. Our phones have replaceable batteries that the end user can do himself. Imagine that. If the iphone didn't say Apple on it, nobody would care.
    Technically true. HandSpring released the Treo 300, and then Treo 600 without a replaceable battery. The first Palm Treo, the 650, did have a replaceable battery.

I am not defending Apple, though. I would have thought they had learned their lesson with the first iPod and the class action lawsuit regarding the battery.
    TreoBien

Interesting conclusion you have with regard to your thread title.

Most users that go the many Treo related forums are individuals that want to learn how the Treo works. Mostly because they are afraid to push buttons or even read the manual.

Others want to know what apps to get to make the Treo do something special.

Some others, want to know how to fix it after they mess it up. I suspect you fall into this category. Where you totally messed your Treo up and you were afraid to admit it and ask for help. Or even figure it out on your own.

The iPhone is no different with regard to many iPhone forums popping up.

Enjoy your iPhone.....

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Technically true. HandSpring released the Treo 300, and then Treo 600 without a replaceable battery. The first Palm Treo, the 650, did have a replaceable battery.

I am not defending Apple, though. I would have thought they had learned their lesson with the first iPod and the class action lawsuit regarding the battery.
    Good points.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12