Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So I called Sprint the other day (which I never used to do). I talked to Americans who speak English, their customer service was great. They even called me back, twice, to see how I was doing. Unbelievable when compared to say a year ago. I talked to people who cared and who knew what they were they doing -- relatively. I ended up having them overnight me a new phone, but they still helped. A year ago, Sprint customer service reps couldn't do anything but tell you how to do a hard reset. Good for Sprint, they seem to be getting it now. They're even going to call me back on Monday, to make sure I got my new phone and help me activate it. Way cool.

The rep I talked to told me, "You're holding one of the last phones of it's kind". When I quizzed him for more, he told me a Linux based Treo is on the way, that, "They're putting a lot of people on it". He couldn't say when exactly, but he said, "early 08", which makes sense. He even told me, "...we're getting trained on Linux every day now". Get this. He also told me that the next Treo "...would smash the 2 gig storage limit". My guess is that the next Treo will hold at least 20 gig, giving way to what Hawk talks about, that the phone is storage and that you access the storage with some device such as the Foleo.

Works for me.

So it looks like the Palm OS is dead, that a Linux Treo is on the way. Hmm. Maybe I'll learn about Linux now?

Finally, we talked about the iPhone. He said he had a contest with his buddy, who has an iPhone. His phone, which was not a Treo, but some other phone using the Sprint network, loaded 4 web pages before his buddies iPhone loaded one web page. iPhone? iDefinitely not gonna get one.
    Sounds cool but he could still be nothing more than a Tech Support guy that wants Linux. But having a larger storage capacity for the Foleo sure makes a lot of sense.

I like the contest too, I personally haven't seen anyone out in the wild with an iPhone yet
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Well the webpage loading thing is because GayT&T has EDGE and Sprint has EVDO which is more then 10x faster
    AT&T is not the issue. Its that the iPhone can't take advantage of AT&T's high speed network and is limited to their slower EDGE speeds.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Well lits kinda a combination of both... ATT has slow EDGE and normal web + iphone does not have EDGE to begin with.
    att has 3g service that is faster than sprints. but they don't have it in many places. the iphone does not support 3g. edge is not there 3g service. it has a 2g service. att does have a few phones that do support their 3g service. the treo 750 is one of them..
    Matty
    My bro has the iphone and his pages load faster than my Treo since he has wifi which I wish I had.
    WiFi is nice as I use it on my Mogul sometimes at home for a speed boost.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarantis View Post
    My bro has the iphone and his pages load faster than my Treo since he has wifi which I wish I had.
    It is an issue with the speed of the Treo and the Palm operating system and memory handling.

You can surf much faster on a laptop using the Treo DUN, than you can on the Treo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Iphone was likewise faster...despite the slower connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    You can surf much faster on a laptop using the Treo DUN, than you can on the Treo.
    Interesting. Are you saying this is just with the built-in DUN "stuff" or would this be true for USBmodem too?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    Interesting. Are you saying this is just with the built-in DUN "stuff" or would this be true for USBmodem too?

Thanks,
    Gary
    It just connects "quietly."