1.    #1  
    Does anyone know whether utilizing the Treo's built-in eGPS (cell tower-based triangulation) is even on their radar? I went to the Google Maps Mobile site and could not find an email address to send this suggestion. Does anyone know of a contact through which we could communicate to their developers? This capability would make it a truly killer app.

On a side note, does anyone know whether all of these phones that now have built-in GPS actually have a satellite chip or use eGPS technology?
    The Treo 650 did not have eGPS, and I doubt if the 680 (or 750) has it either. Don't know about CDMA versions, but I suspect it is more a carrier thing (carrier provides the location information, the phone does not have the "stuff" to locate itself).

Any phone that claims to have built-in GPS will have the "satellite chip".

(there was another thread here about location without GPS. Several Indian carriers display the location information right on the phone if one had the correct type of phone (not the Treo, unfortunately))
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I think the 680 and 755p have it... I remember arguing with my friend about it the other day.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I think the 680 and 755p have it... I remember arguing with my friend about it the other day.
    If it were there, then Palm would be making a big fuss about it. At least it would find mention in the detailed specifications sheet.

Is it true that location detection of some sort is required by US law?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    If it were there, then Palm would be making a big fuss about it. At least it would find mention in the detailed specifications sheet.

Is it true that location detection of some sort is required by US law?
    All new phones have this capability which is really just some software that interacts with the tower. However there are different levels of capability.

http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    All new phones have this capability which is really just some software that interacts with the tower. However there are different levels of capability.

http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php
    Yes, and I believe this requirement was in effect even at the time of the Treo 650. So the Treo does have this capability but no one seems to have been able to tap into it at this point. There was a lot of talk about "Location Based Services" and apps at one point (presumably based on this technology) but that seems to have died down. Do developers have access to this capability or it somehow "locked" except for the 911 function?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    It's not eGPS.. it's A-GPS, as in Assisted GPS.

And yes, the Treo650 has it.

All cellphones in the last several years (since somewhere around 2000-2002) have had this functionality built in - it was a federal mandata for E911 purposes.

And no, you're not likely to see it used for Google Maps on Palm OS any time soon. It'd be far easier to program it for bluetooth and other serial gps units anyway.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    It's not eGPS.. it's A-GPS, as in Assisted GPS.

And yes, the Treo650 has it.

All cellphones in the last several years (since somewhere around 2000-2002) have had this functionality built in - it was a federal mandata for E911 purposes.

And no, you're not likely to see it used for Google Maps on Palm OS any time soon. It'd be far easier to program it for bluetooth and other serial gps units anyway.
    so its POSSIBLE, but no one does it?
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Windows Mobile Treos have Windows Live Local mobile. That is a turn-by-turn navigation program with automatic route re-calculation. No GPS unit required. And the software is FREE. It's only drawbacks are there is no 3D view, like tomtom or garmin, and it is totally dependant on your current service signal level, which is a fairly big drawback.
    And it doesn't talk to you...
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    Windows Mobile Treos have Windows Live Local mobile. That is a turn-by-turn navigation program with automatic route re-calculation. No GPS unit required. And the software is FREE. It's only drawbacks are there is no 3D view, like tomtom or garmin, and it is totally dependant on your current service signal level, which is a fairly big drawback.
    so you can get turn-by-turn without a BT GPS unit!!!!!? wow! I keep getting more and more tempted to get the 750. System-wide Proxy settings, GPS now, 1.3MP camera, etc... wow... ugh
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    I have Live Local and I have certainly never heard of it being able to provide real time directions without a GPS...

I think that kind of functionality would be headline news, no?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    so you can get turn-by-turn without a BT GPS unit!!!!!? wow! I keep getting more and more tempted to get the 750. System-wide Proxy settings, GPS now, 1.3MP camera, etc... wow... ugh
    Yep thats right. The built in GPS is only for emergency and cannot be used by anything or any program. You need a BT GPS for that stuff. Google maps does not even work with BT GPS's yet either.
    Sorry, I heard about this on the last TreoCast. I did not hear them mention needing a GPS puck. You DO need one.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/wi...pdated_v2.html
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I was assuming you were talking about this from first hand experience. damn
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones: