1.    #1  
    I just received an insurance replacement 700p today. When trying use Kinoma player I kept getting a message telling me I needed to activate the player again. After several tries using the original codes with no luck I gave up and emailed Kinoma tech support. 31 minutes later I received a reply telling me my activation code was reset. Thanks Kinoma
    same experience here. kinoma support is top notch.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    yeah. they have been amazing. i know that in my review of Kinoma Player on my new site, they are for sure getting props for helping on the highest level.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Same here. I've been a happy Kinoma customer for a few years and they have excelled at customer service every time.

Now if they will just add YouTube searching to Kinoma player..
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    Same here. I've been a happy Kinoma customer for a few years and they have excelled at customer service every time.

Now if they will just add YouTube searching to Kinoma player..
    I second that!!
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    FYI -- Kinoma just released an update to bring its player up to version 4.3.
    I have nothing but the best to say about Kinoma's CS! I would have to say its 2nd to none in my lifetime so far! Working with them in the past month has been simply awesome!

They should sell their methodology to companies such as Palm as their 2nd business!
    I can confirm that the new version of Kinoma (4.3) fixes all the problems I had with streaming podcasts (discussed in this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=147974).

Thanks to everyone at Kinoma for working on and resolving these issues!
    Last edited by alvic51; 08/21/2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    I can confirm that the new version of Kinoma (4.3) fixes all the problems I had with streaming podcasts (discussed in this threat: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=147974).
    Glad to hear it! For more on the release, be sure to check out our blog.

(Tip: We haven't advertised this much, but to get our blog via email just click here. We think you'll find it really useful, but it's super-easy to unsubscribe if you find out that it isn't for you.)

Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Thanks to everyone at Kinoma for working on and resolving these issues!
    You're very welcome! BMIC50 and a couple other great customers were critical to helping us identify the issue and test our fixes.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I will also agree, Kinoma has a great Support Team! Thanks Kinoma...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    i am trying kinoma after having to buy it due to no trial version being available and have this to say:
    1- whats the point of streaming video on a gprs device? (this would only make sense if question 3 is solved)
    2- why cant i browse to my media files by myself?
    3- when videos are downloaded to my card why cant i view them offline?

feels very itunes but just without the kitsch interface.

well whatever, my treo can play google videos in a very cramped manner. i might be able to show it off to some very patient friends who dont mind watching yout tube videos for 5 seconds after 60 second intervals.

this is a bit of an expensive joke. but i love gadgets so i will play on
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    i am trying kinoma after having to buy it due to no trial version being available and have this to say:
    1- whats the point of streaming video on a gprs device? (this would only make sense if question 3 is solved)
    2- why cant i browse to my media files by myself?
    3- when videos are downloaded to my card why cant i view them offline?

feels very itunes but just without the kitsch interface.

well whatever, my treo can play google videos in a very cramped manner. i might be able to show it off to some very patient friends who dont mind watching yout tube videos for 5 seconds after 60 second intervals.

this is a bit of an expensive joke. but i love gadgets so i will play on

Hi..

first, read the manual.. the answers are all in there.. obviously, streaming video is extremely bandwidth-intensive.. GPRS / EDGE will not perform as well as 3G / EVDO..

secondly, read the manual and understand what the icons across the bottom of Kinoma Player's screen do.. the program will load a list of everything on your Treo or other PalmOS device that it knows how to play.. whether videos, audio files, cubic panoramas, .jpeg images.. all the formats it knows how to play.. look at the icons across the bottom of the screen when you start the program.. the far, right-hand one looks like three little squares on top of each other.. select it.. what do you have?.. you have a list of every file on your Treo that Kinoma Player knows how to play.. select one and it'll load it and play it, whatever it is.. or select one and press the right side of the D-pad for details about that file..

if you've made .m3u (playlist) files with Pocket Tunes or some other program, the icon to the left of the three little square ones will display those and let you select one and play all the files in the Playlist..

i'm not going to go through and detail what all the icons are for.. read the manual.. it's all in there..

if you have videos on your card that Kinoma doesn't know how to play, you have at least two other options.. locate and download TCPMP, which is free, and install it and ALL its codecs.. but IT still can't play every video format out there.. OR.. get Kinoma Producer 4 which i recently reviewed.. with it, you can convert almost ANY format video into modern formats, like .mp4 and Winblows Media 9, and at the same time, scale them down, re-size them, twiddle their bit rates, both audio and video, lower their video frame rates, and so on..

then you can copy them to your card and Kinoma Player will play them with ease, from quarter screen to full screen.. smoothly..

yesterday, i took a 600mb 320 x 240, 30fps .mp4 file of a full-length feature film.. that i had digitized from Turner Classic Movies with my Neuros recorder, which writes directly to SD cards, when it finished recording, i yanked the card out of the Neuros, stuck it in a USB 2 card reader.. and copied it to the huge external hard drive of my laptop.. when i play such .mp4 movies on my laptop, i use the free VLC (http://www.videolan.org) to play them.. it's a kick-*** program and it's totally free..

a Treo is not a laptop.. it doesn't have the same capabilities, speed, or screen size.. the laptop has a 15" screen and a 2.1ghz CPU.. a Treo has a 2" screen and a 312ghz cpu.. obviously, you can't expect a Treo to do the same thing(s) a laptop can do, especially incredibly CPU-intensive tasks like playing a 600mb movie at full 30fps in Stereo with other programs running at the same time.. just like you can't expect to call the fire dept. to put out a house fire with squirt guns.. not quite a one to one comparison, but the best i can think of off the top of my head..

a laptop connected to a cable modem with a fast CPU and a ton of hard drive is a MUCH fatter "pipe" than a Treo with its tiny screen, much slower CPU, connected to a data network running at a fraction of the speed.. even 3G / EVDO is only a fraction of the speed of a cable modem..

so i ran that hour and a half feature film .mp4 through Kinoma Producer and turned it into an 80mb 160 x 120, 15fps .mp4 file.. i didn't put it on my card.. although i could have.. instead, i uploaded it to my private FTP site which is password-protected.. i can now stream that movie with Kinoma Player on my 700p.. directly over the air, beautifully, even size it up to full-screen with Kinoma Player's little "+" button, and it plays back smoothly and in Stereo, without jumps or pauses.. or i could have copied it to my card and Kinoma Player would find it, and play it from there too.. i've taken ten year old mpeg-2 Videos and wmv-2 videos, and run them through Kinoma Producer and turned them into modern .mp4 files with ONE button click, and the Treo plays them beautifully..

read the manual.. then read it again.. understand what formats Kinoma Player knows how to play.. if the files on your card aren't those formats (and it knows MANY formats.. mostly, the more modern ones.. it won't play ten year old mpeg-2 videos, or Winblows Media 2 files..) .. then get Kinoma Producer (which is available as a free two-day trial with some features crippled..) .. and convert them.. scale them down.. Producer is so ridiculously easy to use it's.. uhh.. ridiculous.. i've converted a TON of years-old movie files i've had sitting around, and teevee shows and full-lenth films i digitized off cable with the Neruos as recently as last week, and everything in-between.. and this can be accomplished by loading one or a whole pile of files into Producer, and clicking ONE button.. and it won't over-write or erase the original files.. read my review.. it explains everything.. you don't HAVE to use Producer to make files that Kinoma Player can play.. but it's an option to make huge video files more Treo-friendly..

basically, from reading your post, and without trying to sound like i'm talking down to you.. you don't understand all the capabilities of Kinoma Player 4 EX and how to use its interface.. many people don't, so they shrug it off as not "capable" of doing what they want to do.. once you learn the ins and outs of the program, you'd be AMAZED at what it can do.. so i'll say it one more time.. read the manual.. once you "get it".. you'll understand the power under its hood.. if you have old-format videos you want to play on the Treo and Kinoma Player doesn't list them as being on your card when you select that three little squares icon, then consider getting Producer to convert them to a more modern format..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    youre taking it too personal man

of course i didn't read the whole manual (dont have that much time). instead of that i researched a bit and was sort of aware of its limitations.
    being an optimistic i hoped that it'll surely be cool (which it, sort of, IS) and that i'll find ways of utilizing it seriously instead of just playing around with it.
    i just dont know what i want to use this program for. tcmp takes care of all my video files and pocket tunes takes care of the audio stuff.
    so basically, the only things that kinoma offers me extra are:
    - not being able to watch google videos or you tube videos in one piece
    - being able to listen to the itunes format audio files.
    it is okay, and i find that the kinoma guys are doing a great job.
    i am just a bit unhappy of not being able to try it out before buying it ( i have read kinoma's reasons in treocentral and can sort of understand)

nonetheless,
    i thank you for the long response and appreciate your closeness to kinoma.

no hard feelings man,

i dont mean to be harsh. am just a treo weirdo with probably too many expectations.

I totally agree on the excellent support. And I am a Kinoma Player fan as well.

I still would like to be able to find a way to get out of the silly short network timeout that seems to drop my net connection. And be able to have the capability to download an entire podcast. Since it seems that the download tends to stop about half way into the podcast and then my network connection drops due to the timeout, I am having to exit out of Kinoma and go back in and try it again.

After a few times of doing this, I am getting a bit stressed and annoyed. It would be great if there is a way that I can download the entire file (I don't have to be listening to the stream at all). I just want to be able to get the file and play it from beginning to end. And obviously just streaming it doesn't work either since the timeout comes in and drops my connection.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    May,

Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    And obviously just streaming it doesn't work either since the timeout comes in and drops my connection.
    Streaming works really good for this, since you can just continue right from where you left off (rather than re-downloading the whole thing).

Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    It would be great if there is a way that I can download the entire file (I don't have to be listening to the stream at all).
    If you don't want to stream it, you can also subscribe to your favorite podcasts in iTunes and sync them. I'll write up a Kinoma blog post about syncing Kinoma Player to iTunes this week.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    True regarding the streaming and about getting the podcast via iTunes and transferring via that. But sometimes when I'm traveling, I may not have a computer around so it would be nice to be able to download the podcasts directly.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws