1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have done multiple searches on Visorcentral and have yet to find an answer on this:

I know that there are issues with avantgo 4.0 and palm desktop 4.0.1, however, is there a work around?

Is there any patches, fixes, etc?

Thanks!
    Mitz--I'm very interested in this as well. I installed version Desktop 4.0.1 on both my home (USB) and work (serial) PCs several weeks ago and had no problems......until yesterday. I've had the newest version of AvantGo for this entire time. Now suddenly, my home computer is getting stuck on hotsync. Sometimes it hangs on the screen that says "connecting w/ the desktop" and then tells me that a connection couldn't be established. On the next try I'll get all the way to the AvantGo sync and it loses the connection there. What's really strange though, is that the problem seems to be intermittent. After three or four tries, I'll finally get through and it will work perfectly. Throughout this process, I've had no problems syncing at work (knock on wood). Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Soft and warm resets of the handheld (seemed to do nothing)

2) Exiting and re-starting hotsync manager on my PC (seemed to help in getting past the initial connection screen, but not the AvantGo part)

3) Rebooting my PC (ditto the above)

4) Installing/running the Visor Reg-Clean utility (did nothing)

If anyone has found any other tricks that work, I'd love to hear them (short of uninstalling 4.0.1 and re-installing the original desktop from Handspring). I love the interface of the new software and would hate to have to go back.

All you folks that are using 4.0.1 and AvantGo w/ no problems--Beware! Your day may be coming as well. I thought I was one of the lucky ones....
    I have noticed the same problems.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
  4.    #4  
    ...and even worse was that I couldn't sync with Yahoo w/ TrueSync or Intllisync!!!

That's totally unacceptable, so I downgraded back down to 3.0. (ver 3.0.1 didn't work with TrueSync either! the one that came from handspring's website!)
    Just out of curiosity... is anyone trying to synch with Slashdot? Whenever I add their channel I experience this problem, but whenever I remove it everything works great!
    Originally posted by lpas304
    Mitz--I'm very interested in this as well. I installed version Desktop 4.0.1 on both my home (USB) and work (serial) PCs several weeks ago and had no problems......until yesterday. I've had the newest version of AvantGo for this entire time. Now suddenly, my home computer is getting stuck on hotsync. Sometimes it hangs on the screen that says "connecting w/ the desktop" and then tells me that a connection couldn't be established. On the next try I'll get all the way to the AvantGo sync and it loses the connection there. What's really strange though, is that the problem seems to be intermittent. After three or four tries, I'll finally get through and it will work perfectly. Throughout this process, I've had no problems syncing at work (knock on wood). Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Soft and warm resets of the handheld (seemed to do nothing)

2) Exiting and re-starting hotsync manager on my PC (seemed to help in getting past the initial connection screen, but not the AvantGo part)

3) Rebooting my PC (ditto the above)

4) Installing/running the Visor Reg-Clean utility (did nothing)

If anyone has found any other tricks that work, I'd love to hear them (short of uninstalling 4.0.1 and re-installing the original desktop from Handspring). I love the interface of the new software and would hate to have to go back.

All you folks that are using 4.0.1 and AvantGo w/ no problems--Beware! Your day may be coming as well. I thought I was one of the lucky ones....
    I've noticed that my long hotsyncs (i.e. AvantGo) fail if I'm actively using other USB peripherals during the hotsync. For example, my two USB ports are currently being used by my Visor cradle and my trackball. If I don't touch the trackball during the hotsync, it works fine. If I use the trackball more than just a little bit, it'll cause the hotsync to fail. This could just be a quirk of my system and the USB card I have (yes, I've got an old system w/o on-board USB), but I figured I'd throw it out there. Anyone else have similar issues, or am I just lucky?

Jeff
    Hello all,

Well, I have experienced the same problem but I can't remember if it started before or after I installed AvantGo 4. I have come up with a work around though. I keep PalmName installed on my Visor. If at any time I cannot connect to the PC, I do a warm reset and then run PalmName immediately and then retry my Hotsync. It has worked for me everytime (once i figured out the sequence). I initially tried rebooting my PC, reseting (both soft and warm) my Visor, and several different sequences of all the above. My above sequence works everytime without rebooting the PC.

Just to run it again, here's the sequence.
    1) Warm Reboot Visor (hold up button while soft reset)
    2) Run Palmname and press "Set Name/ID"
    3) Exit Palmname (hit silkscreen house)
    4) Hotsync

If you want an explanation, I really don't know. Awhile back I figured out that my palm User name was being corrupted (used a shortcut dot( :shortcut:.) command, don't remember which one)

Hope this helps

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page