1.    #1  
    I've got a Magellan GPS w/ a Visor Prism and I was wondering if there was any software that I could use to interact with some sort of direction planning. I've read it's not feasible to have software on the Visor that you can punch in a start and ending destination and have it select the best route so I'm not looking for that. What I am looking for is something that I can do like look up on MapQuest or MapBlast! and have it find the directions for me and then either plot that on a map or even use the map that MapBlast gives you and shows your position with the GPS. Maybe even a software where you can do it on your PC and then transfer it over to the Visor. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. zef
    Don't accept all you hear. The Europeans some how figured how to do it on a Palm OS. See the Tomtom site: http://www.palmtop.nl/palm/citymaps.html and also on the same site the Street Planner software, http://www.palmtop.nl/street.html, ,that runs on other PDA. To bad we can't get it for cities in the USA.
    Darknght,

for what area do you want to use it?
    If you are looking for the european area - you can use GDATA software covering Germany, Austria, Switzerland and all major european cities.
    Check out: www.gdata.de
    But this site is in german language.

CU
    Chris
  4.    #4  
    zef: Ah ya, I've passed by that software. I didn't realize it did routing based on a street level. Doesn't matter though since the US version is only for between cities and doesn't do street level.

Chris: I'm looking for at least California in the US.
    Originally posted by Darknght
    Chris: I'm looking for at least California in the US.
    Hmmm,

no street level maps for California - too bad. I thought I could get some when travelling to California. Did you check Rand Mc Nally? Maybe they offer some. Have a "normal" street map from them here and they served me well while beeing in California. Maybe they also have a PDA version.

CU
    Chris
    Rand McNally allows you to map the route on the PC and then download the route to the Palm.
    <><
    No route calculating on the handheld.
    Hmm that is actually not what I am looking for. Any other idea for programs that will do this on a street map basis?

CU
    Chris
    I am using it for travel and find accurate and convenient. It has street level mapping but NO routing. I e-mailed the developers and apparently a routing capability is being thought of. Its not trivial though to implement it on Palm OS!

Another app I just started using is TripMaker from RandMcNally. I got a 1999 version for $10 (micorcenter closeout) and though it does only city to city routing and I have to run it on Virtual PC on my Mac; it does have US, Canada and Mexico; supports GPS; has a Palm app into which you can dowload fairly detailed trip directions in text; I plan to use it in conjunction with Quovadis.

I also got StreetFinder 2000 from RandMcNally ($5 from Best Buy closeout) - what a waste! Its good for mapping addresses but it is clunky and its Palm companion app is horrible.
    Bye
    AM
    Alexmathew,

thanks for that hint. Looks like Rand McNally needs some more time. I will check out the Quo Vadis software. Does it tell you on a street map basis where you are, I mean has it street maps for every city (especially NYC and California)?

CU
    Chris