1.    #1  
    Just got my 755p today. I've never had a palm before, and I've never had any type of smart phone. The SERO plan was enough to draw me into purchasing this.

I'm pretty much blown away by what I've seen it do so far.

Could I get some recommendations on what software to download for it? I know I'll probably need to upgrade the Kinoma in order to watch more videos. Anything else a "must do" while initially setting up my Treo?

Also, how do I go about upgrading Kinoma?
    Last edited by Tommer; 08/01/2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommer View Post
    Just got my 755p today. I've never had a palm before, and I've never had any type of smart phone. The SERO plan was enough to draw me into purchasing this.

Could I get some recommendations on what software to download for it? I know I'll probably need to upgrade the Kimodo in order to watch more videos. Anything else a "must do" while initially setting up my Treo?

Also, how do I go about upgrading Kimodo?
    I think you mean "Kinoma." If so, this thread should help you upgrade: click here.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    IMO a slingbox is pretty much a must for a 755 owner...

Butler
    monopoly
    Ringo Pro
    and Voice Control are pretty much programs i use on a daily basis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommer View Post

Could I get some recommendations on what software to download for it? I know I'll probably need to upgrade the Kimodo in order to watch more videos. Anything else a "must do" while initially setting up my Treo?

Also, how do I go about upgrading Kimodo?
    Yes, I have a suggestion.

Use it as it is for a month. Don't load anything on it that isn't already there (except your contacts and such, obviously).

Only then will you know what YOU need to make your life complete, not what someone else thinks you need to spend your money on.

You might find that the built-in software does just about everything you need and you'll know what specific features you need to look for.

Some people will list their "must haves". That's for them. Me? I don't have most of what other people have for must haves, because they don't do anything I want them to do. My "must haves" may not be relevant to you.

Good luck and enjoy your new Treo.

Tom
    One of the first things I upgraded on all my Palm's was the PIM applications, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc. My personal favorite is Agendus Pro. DateBook is another good choice.
    I think Tom's advice of using it plain vanilla for a while is worth considering. If you goober it up immediately I think you'll end up having to hard reset at some point. Not that it's hard, it's just tedious to get everything working again.

That said when you're ready to adventure consider TCMCP. Also PTunes has an update that you may not have. And of course, Google Maps Mobile.

Have fun!
    Tom's suggestion is sound. A few of us had bad units that were discovered within the first few weeks. Having no 3rd party apps allows you to determine any issues as a bad device versus a bad program. But you are doing the right thing is looking to a site like this to learn from others. Sure all of our suggestions won't be valid to you, but they will offer you apps to consider. Being new both to the Treo and to Palm OS allows for tons of learning.

I suggest watching videos at http://learning.palm.com to get a good understanding of the device.

Once you are ready, there are some great apps that you can buy, there are some good free apps too.

See my list of free apps for the 755p at http://www.palmloyal.com/addons.php?...rint&sid=17964
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Can i ask you how long did it take you from the time you ordered the phone online til you get the phone?
    Grab a Porterhouse Steak and put it in the frying pan, and Grab your Treo and take it out of the box. When the Steak in done throw the Treo away and eat your Steak.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If you're not dying to have any particular applications or additional functionality, then waiting 30 days is cool. Give it a shot.

Personally, I'm so fond of Kinoma that it's the first application I think of whenever I have to (or think I'll have to) get a replacement 755p.

I use it every doggone day.

I agree, though, that there are things the 755p can do, more or less out-of-the-box, that don't get much airplay. I'm one of the folks that's satisfied with the directory assistance, dictionary, movie time, calendar, clock, and other apps that are already on my device. I don't care to spend extra money to upgrade'em.

Heck, I've spent enough on accessories, recently, as it is. I guess THAT'S what I'd recommend. Find some good protection for your Treo. That soft-touch finish and touch-screen are begging for coddling.

I haven't received'em yet, but I purchased a Seidio rubberized hardcase (protects while providing access to keys and slots) with room for the super-extended battery (doubles battery life - a power user must-have). I also got a magnetic, horizontal pouch to hold my soon to be newly-carbonite-encrusted Palm device, which allows me to keep it on my hip... and it should protect the exposed keys when I'm not using the device. With no metal snaps, I'm hoping it won't scar my device like the Treo horror stories I've read.

I'm partial to hard cases because folks drop their phones all the doggone time. But some designs can actually cause damage - especially as they wear, over time, or pop open after a good fall.

If you get something with a belt clip (the kind you can release with the press of a button) be very mindful of how those wear over time. Once you notice that slight pressure from underneath the Treo (due to a seatbelt or whatever) will easily push the device out of the clip, it's time for a new clip. I strongly suggest keeping more than one at home, ready to replace the worn ones. They're inexpensive and largely interchangeable.

G'luck.
    Just a thought....

Why do you have to wait 30 days until you install all the apps ou want on the Treo? What i would do is install everything first, and then remove them one by one if its causing any problem.

I would like to know if i will be able to get all the functionality i want form my Treo before the 30 days is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Just a thought....

Why do you have to wait 30 days until you install all the apps ou want on the Treo? What i would do is install everything first, and then remove them one by one if its causing any problem.

I would like to know if i will be able to get all the functionality i want form my Treo before the 30 days is over.
    You don't have to do anything, but the suggestion to wait before installing a bunch of stuff to improve device functionality is kinda like suggesting someone taste their food before pouring salt all over it.

There's no reason you or anyone else couldn't just ignore that advice, but don't blame us when you've got salt all over your Treo.... or something.
    Right.

If you never learn the standard interface and the installed applications, you'll never know whether they truly meet your needs. You can spend hundreds of dollars on software (and believe me, it adds up!) just to learn that the installed programs can do 99% of what you need.

It's all about making educated, intelligent choices.

Tom
    Though it can be a lot of fun to play with all kinds of software it can make your Treo rather unstable.

It is better to use it free of incumbrances for a few weeks before experimenting with software add-ons. For example I have read posts of people having issues even with the linked software from Sprint (ie. the voice command software has been the cause of some people's resets.) Also read of some programs slowing the 755 down. In this case it was "Butler" which some people swear by. Because of the interactions the Butler slowdown might only be when people have some other particular software installed.

Bottom line. Get to know it first....then start looking for programs to fill the shortcomings.

I started out running literally hundreds of programs on a HUGE card. Now I'm down to running a few "essentials" like "Directory Assistant" "Google Maps" and "YAPS." My 650 and now my 755 are rock solid. They never reset (Knock on wood.)
    I'm a new user also. I got my Treo about 1 month ago. I think waiting the 30 days and getting familiar with your Treo is a good idea. I feel most of the basic applications work very well.

At this time, the only thing I may add that has a charge is Kinoma. Of course, that may change.
  16.    #16  
    Good suggestions.. I'll keep it stock for a month or so while I figure out what I want to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Can i ask you how long did it take you from the time you ordered the phone online til you get the phone?
    I ordered it on Sunday, July 22nd, and received it on Tuesday, July 31st.
    Handyshopper would be the first thing I'd put on - but we Mom's have other needs first

I own DateBk, so that will go on my new one, along with HealthFile.

But if i could only pick one thing it would be Handshopper!

Enjoy the new phone - i have a friend waiting on a SERO 755 too!

ETA: NVBackup. Another thing i must have
    Last edited by TraecyS/FL; 08/02/2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Thought of another thing
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    One of the first things I upgraded on all my Palm's was the PIM applications, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc. My personal favorite is Agendus Pro. DateBook is another good choice.
    If your busy and forgetful Agendus Pro is a must. It will do anything and everything.