Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I am in a transition between using a 700P and a 755P. Is it possible to sync both devices to one User on my Palm Desktop?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I just got a 755P currently using 700P. I am trying to figure out the same thing. I am also wondering what is anything is better on the 755P. I could careless about the phyical changes. "no antenna, color or case" Is there any other important chages?

If not too many I may just give my wife the 755P and keep the 700P. She is still using a Treo 650.
    I don't so, just like you shouldn't sync two of the same palm-type to the same machine. It gets confused (with appts/addresses), or at least it has for me in the past.

You could probably use NVbackup for copying from one and restoring to the other one a day.

But the real question is - What's the transition problem?
    If you have and a MiniSD chip (with the SD adaptor), the transition should be less than 1 hour. Back up from the 700p to the MiniSD, remove it from the adaptor and restore to the 755p! Volia!

Everyone says they're close enough to do that, I did.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    But the real question is - What's the transition problem?
    If you have and a MiniSD chip (with the SD adaptor), the transition should be less than 1 hour. Back up from the 700p to the MiniSD...
    My situation is similar to OrionNE above - I have two devices and I am trying to decide which one I am going to keep and which one goes to someone else.
    i am not sure about doing the above with the backup on card, if u are having problems with your treo 700p they might just follow onto the treo 755p

there also might be allot of info in your saved preferences that is garbage, i would say, new phone, take the time and start from scratch, especially with 3rd party programs

many many programs came out with new versions to support 755

this is what i did:

first sync your treo 700p

then go to palm desktop
    click on calendar and then in the menu FILE/Export...export to desktop
    move down the list
    with contacts,tasks,memos, media, make sure u select all files (CTRL-A)
    and export each one to your desktop

u want to use your same hotsync name on your new device, ..so that way all your programs have same registration code

go to tools/users and rename..add a letta or number to the end of the username.. that will be the new username for the treo 700p, in which u wont be hotsyncing anymore

NOW

hardreset your treo 755, if it is not fresh out the box

and plug in and hotsync, will ask for your name.. put in the hotsync name that you always had, not the bogus one u just created above, once that is done

go back to palm desktop

on the top right where there is a drop down: user, pick the real name that u want to use for the treo 755, not the bogus one

now go through all tabs again on the left , and back to menu and import all the PIM data that u exported previously

change your conduit to desktop overrides handheld for all PIM data, then hotsync your treo 755

now all your pim data is on your new device with your original hotsync name

u can delete the bogus user (actually the username that was for your teo 700p) now... menu/tools/users/delete

if u want copy the backup folder to the desktop if u want to hotsync your 3rd party programs over... when u delete the user the backup folder under that user is also deleted that is why i suggest the above
    Quote Originally Posted by h-wolf View Post
    My situation is similar to OrionNE above - I have two devices and I am trying to decide which one I am going to keep and which one goes to someone else.
    i switched, the physical factor is better on the treo 755, the only part that i hate is the 5way and the phone,datebook,email, launcher buttons are so much cheaper looking (also the lighting) then the treo 700p... the treo 700p has lights on the 5way and the treo 755 doesnt, each individual button above lights up on the treo 700p, on the treo 755p, two buttons share one light...i wish they kept the color grey instead of blue, or wish they changed to black

the 755 has no reset button, might become an issue if you are a form fitting case person

the treo 755 came out a year after the treo 700p, take it as an update, from reading around the thread it seems it is a more stable phone, i had my treo 700p replaced for free with the 755 so i jumped on it, i wouldnt pay for an upgrade from a treo 700p to a 755