Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We would all appreciate any followup on this. I have never seen much difference after a PRL update, but I'm willing to keep an open mind as I've been dropping calls more recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    My wife also has the same PRL number sequence on her A900 Blade and her phone worked awesome around the house when she had PRL 20225, then I updated her phone to 20227 for her and she had dropping call issues like crazy. It got so bad after 3 months that she couldn't hold a call longer than a minute. I took her A900 in and said it was a piece of junk and also the camera went out so they gave me a new A900 Blade with PRL 20225 out of the box and her phone is back to awesome now. I use her phone more than mine at home for now. I took the plunge with 20229 hoping this will bring me back on my 700p.
    I know this does not seem to make sense given what the PRL is "supposed" to do for the phone, but I had similar experience. With 20226 I enjoyed great reception at home/work where I have excellent signal reception. Before applying the MR, PRL 20227 was "pushed" to my device during a routine *2 call to CS for another phone, immediately my Treo started dropping signal at home, work, around town, unpredictable and frequently. I was able to go back to the 20226 and the dropped calls stopped immediately.

With the MR, the 20227 PRL was installed and the dropped calls began once more. One or two weeks ago tech support "pushed" 20229 to the device and though better still have dropped calls in the same signal area. I have three other "dumbphones" operating in the same signal area none has any issues with drop calls and signal is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    Has to be done over the wire at a sprint store, I work in one so its easy for me to do. Most techs will tell you it can't be done but they are just to lazy to learn how to do it.
    I was able to have tech support roll back my PRL to 20226 as stated above, is possible, you just need to ask and insist for it - they know it can be done but prefer not to do it.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I called yesterday and waited 20 min on hold and the lady said: "Oh you have to call back and say "P R L"" So I did that (knowing it would not work) and what a surprize... "I'll transfer you to a rep to better help you" F***ing Sprint

I'll go into a store today and have my account flagged
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    You can have Sprint flag your account for PRL update by emailing them.

email to: ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com

In the message include the following:

a. The Account holder's PCS Phone Number;
    b. The Account Holder's email address of record;
    c. The Account Holder's Mailing Address;
    d. A politely worded request to flag your account for PRL update.

It is not the fastest way, I usually don't get a response for 12 hours, but it has not failed yet.
  5.    #25  
    For all to know, so far so good with 20229 at home and at work. I am not going to sell out yet on 20229. I am going to give it some more time to make sure everything is solid. Things done to a Treo always start out good and seem to go down hill. I will keep everyone posted as time goes by.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I was able to have tech support roll back my PRL to 20226 as stated above, is possible, you just need to ask and insist for it - they know it can be done but prefer not to do it.[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge we have the same systems that Customer Care uses and I have never been able to tell it to send a specific PRL file; the account is either flagged for an update or not. I'm glad you had success with getting it done over the air. I'll dig a little deeper to see if our systems are the same or not.

Muff
    I was reading this forum and I found that some of you are not happy with PRL version greater than 20226 on your phone. I thought I might upload PRL 20226 so some of you might be able to use this for your phone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by JigSawMan View Post
    You can have Sprint flag your account for PRL update by emailing them.
    I did that, specifically asked for 20225, but got 20227 retransmitted again. I have since contacted 3 other non-*2 operators, including Executive Services. The first 2 simply repushed 20227 and ES said "it won't affect your phone" so I have badgered him to fix the trouble spot in question and no response. Sprint did call me to tell me they checked the area and it is working. Not with PRL 20227, LOL. Now I'm waiting to get that infamous letter from Sprint detailing that my final bill has been paid and that they owe me nothing for my 2 Treos. LOL!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintpcs View Post
    I was reading this forum and I found that some of you are not happy with PRL version greater than 20226 on your phone. I thought I might upload PRL 20226 so some of you might be able to use this for your phone.
    How do you install it? It was my understanding that you need a serial cable to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    *2 is always hit and miss. Try calling the data group directly: 1 866-588-9907. You could also try calling EVDO support at 1 877-654-9111. Always works for me calling either number the first try.

I just called the 866 number, had to hold for about 10 minutes, but got a rep on the line who flagged my account. Did the *2 and I now have PRL 20229. Other than the wait, it was quite painless. For me, calling the 866 number is the way to go...
    Just called the 866 number above and spoke with a lady from Texas - took all of a 2 minute call (no hold time and the phone didn't even ring!) to get the PRL flag set. Hung up and dialed *2 and I now have 20229. Funny thing, though, Claire's voice was noticeably breaking up while the PRL download was in progress. Don't recall that ever happening before. I am right under a tower, too.

11.    #31  
    All week my phone has only dropped once in my house and roams less often??? Its performance so far has been like it was when I had 20225. I talked to my cousin for two hours in the basement today and didn't drop and had three bars. All in all I am quite happy with performance like it used to be...I am just hoping it lasts. I don't know how PRL can affect performance with the network when it obtains to roaming privelages but it does for some reason with the change in performance from one update to another as other members have experienced. I am still in research.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    add me to the list of 20225 working fine (my last one before the 20227 update) and dropping 20% of calls since "updating". Look forward to getting back to civilization so I can call *2. I am in northern VT and it won't let me call *2 when roaming.
    20229 did not fix the increasing number of call drops I have gotten lately; however, it has helped slightly with reception in my office that is normally about -100dbm to -103dbm. Go figure.

The person at Sprint Executive Services working on my case made an interesting observation - if you drop a call and your Treo doesn't say "signal faded," it could mean that the signal was cut completely off, rather than fading to a point where it was just too low to keep the connection, which to him indicates a hand-off problem. He's still working on the case. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 08/06/2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: mdb changed to dbm: should have just added the letter "u" to the jumble :)

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    20229 did not fix the increasing number of call drops I have gotten lately; however, it has helped slightly with reception in my office that is normally about -100mdb to -103dbm. Go figure.

The person at Sprint Executive Services working on my case made an interesting observation - if you drop a call and your Treo doesn't say "signal faded," it could mean that the signal was cut completely off, rather than fading to a point where it was just too low to keep the connection, which to him indicates a hand-off problem. He's still working on the case. We'll see what happens.
    Same here, did not fix my dropping problem
    Does anyone have the link to manually update the PRL? I'd be curious to try..
    Any useful tips on getting PRL 20225 back??!!??

Ive looked through every system that I have access to and cannot find out which one will send the specific files. I have been looking for 3 days to no avail!!! If you had it done before then I do not doubt it is possible, but I cant find out how. I know it can be done over the wire, you will just need to find a technician with knowledge and willingness... So just keep asking or calling, I'm not sure how many Sprint repair centers you have close by but I'm almost certain you can find someone who could help you out. If your ever in Metro Phoenix, Ill do it for you

Muff
    Last edited by Muffnician; 08/06/2007 at 11:00 AM.
    I found a solution to my signal dropping problems: I just set it to only roam and not to allow home networks. Since I am in a strong verizon area my phone works fine off their roaming and roaming calls are free so I got full signal!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I found a solution to my signal dropping problems: I just set it to only roam and not to allow home networks. Since I am in a strong verizon area my phone works fine off their roaming and roaming calls are free so I got full signal!

Everybody knows that one. Try that for 50% or more of your alloted minutes a month and you will find a letter from Sprint in the mail. It would be cheaper for Sprint to show you the back door than keep you since you utilize Verizons network so much (i.e. might as well be with Verizon). I do the same when I am in the basement but I keep my forced roaming down to 10% or less of my usable minutes a month, especially after the recent Sprint scare. I might have free roaming but Sprint pays for that agreement and I am sure if it is abused it is not in their best interest.
    Last edited by KStewart; 08/06/2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Eguy...by by
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

I tried that last weekend and had three calls that went directly to voicemail instead of ringing the phone and left no notification. Even tho it was roaming, as soon as I changed it back to "allow roaming" all three VM's came through.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast