Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I've used the Jawbone and it was worthless. Being able to hear the person is one thing, but being able to hear them with DSP clipping and digitizing their voice is something else. The Jawbone has very poor sound quality when in noisy environments where there isn't a single, constant background noise (like their rigged demonstrations with blenders and lawn equipment). People who I spoke with preferred being able to hear my voice naturally along with some background noise as opposed to clipping all of my words and letting through bursts of background noise.

Z9 reviews seems to be nearly unaminous on the complaint that the outgoing sound quality is poor and the volume is horrible. Hopefully the v2 firmware update really makes a big difference like Byte experienced.
    I tried version 2.2 of the software on the Z9. I'm coming from a JX10 and people tell me the Z9 seems to make my voice sound muddy. They have trouble making out the consonants in my words sometimes. I switched back to my JX10 and was told I sounded much much clearer. The Z9 still has some ways to go in sound quality.
    I talked to blueant tech support yesterday and they said that a new firmware update should be released any day. It's treo-specific.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    I tried the Blueant with 2.2 firmware, and I ended up going back to my Jabra JX10.

Problems I had with the Blueant versus what I was used to:
    - incoming sound was more tinny versus the JX10
    - outgoing sound was more muffled versus the JX10
    - the Blueant won't automatically re-establish a connection with the Treo after you walk out of the room with one or the other, because the Blueant goes into standby mode when not connected to something (and even manually re-establishing the connection was problematic)
    - the Blueant weighs a little more, and just enough so that using a Jabra earjel isn't feasible, in place of that lousy hook.

Guess I'll keep waiting until something else comes out with superior DSP capability, but in a similar design to the JX10.
    Hey headcase, There's a newer firmware version available (3.1) released "today" (it's dated 9/29), but I got it yesterday - go figure... I just started trying this headset yesterday with my 700p, and so far so good. I'm just giving it a try as I've had problems with a lot of headsets. So far so good with this one, but I'm certainly not ready to call it a winner.

Two issues so far:
    1. After plugging it in to charge, the headset turns off (very minor, but I'd prefer to just have it "always on").
    2. I went to make a call once only to find out the headset wasn't on (even though it had been). Very interesting - it had been in my pocket with my phone - it either went in standby or the power button was getting pushed for 3 seconds...

I thought I'd read somewhere about there being a way to *prevent* it from going into Standby, but I didn't see anything in the manual. Is there a way to prevent this?

By the way, the most recent firmware does say it fixes some issues with Treos. I'll update after I've used it more next week, but I'd like to hear if someone's found a way to prevent it from going into Standby - this has been a big issue for me with other headsets as well. TTYL,
    --Kyle
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I picked up a Z9 on sale at Best Buy a few days ago. At first I was not impressed with the sound quality but after upgrading the firmware to v3.1 I gotta say this is the best BT headset I have tried with my 755p. Volume is plenty loud and clear on both ends even in noisy environments AND WIND!. The noise reduction is much better than the Jawbone. I am glad I have only had my Jawbone for 2 weeks as I will be returning it.

A few issues:

-- The owners manual says the firmware version is listed on the BT screen on your cell phone. Well, all I see is Blueant Z9 v1.

-- After I first upgraded the firmware, I noticed no improvement. I was going to take it back but I did the upgrade again and it was a very noticeable change. It would be nice if you could see the firmware version as described in the manual to make sure you are using the firmware version you think you are.

-- If you walk away with the phone but without the Z9, the Z9 goes into standby mode and needs to be reconnected. No big deal...takes 3 seconds and works without a hitch.

Definitely worth a try.
    when you install new firmware, you need to remove the headset from the bluetooth profiles..reset the treo..and reset the blueant...then re-pair. after doing this, you'll see the new v3.1 profile and the sound quality will increase.
    btw...v3.2 is now out.
    http://us.blueantz9.com/flash2/
    I've been trying to update my firmware for the Z9 and to no avail. I connect the Z9 to the laptop holding the Vol + key on the Z9 and nothing happens.

Anyone else have this occur. Using Windows XP Pro, on Dell 700M laptop.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Did you follow the instructions from their website? You usually have to update your drivers before your computer can see the Z9. I tried twice using the lengthy procedure from their website. It seemed to go through the second time, but the version still said "v1." After the "update," the people I talked to thought the JX-10 sounded better.
    Yes I followed the pdf instructions that I downloaded from their website.

Does anyone else have a suggestion to assist solving this issue and not the obvious "did you follow the instructions".
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanj33 View Post
    I've been trying to update my firmware for the Z9 and to no avail. I connect the Z9 to the laptop holding the Vol + key on the Z9 and nothing happens...
    Why would I assume that you followed the instructions when you listed 1 of about 20 steps you have to take to upgrade the Z9? Here's a tip: next time when you want proper help tell us what you've tried so far so we won't waste our time suggesting things you've already tried.

Anyone else have this occur.
    Despite the obvious lack of proper punctuation, you ASKED if this had happened to anyone else. Since it happened to me and I overcame my connection problems by following the directions to install the correct drivers, I THOUGHT my experience would help you.

Does anyone else have a suggestion to assist solving this issue and not the obvious "did you follow the instructions".
    Yes. As it states in the upgrade instructions that you allegedly followed:

"If you have any difficuties please do not hesitate to contact BlueAnt Customer support for assistance." Right below that is your choice of an email link or an 866 number:

BlueAnt Customer Service
    1-866-891-3032

Oh, and one final suggestion: don't be such a ****** the next time people try to help you.....
    Phones: Sprint LG LX150, and Sprint Palm 700wx( no BT mods)
    Bluetooth headsets: Jawbone, BlueAnt Z9

For me, the Jawbone sucked on the 700wx. My wife has the wx as well and loaded with Hannip’s A2DP mod. She says it’s ok, with the occasional “scratchiness.”

But here is my test with the Jawbone on an LG LX150. This is my work phone that’s used everyday. When I pick up incoming calls, there is usually a delay of about three seconds before I can hear the caller. Callers tell me that there’s this short buzz sound when I pick up the call. Annoying about the delay and the buzz for the caller.

My complaints about the Jawbone: Fit- the ear hook spring sucks. It makes it stick out a bit all the time, feels like it’s going to fall off. Sound- incoming too low sometimes, especially when I talk to my system engineer that’s in the office. He likes to keep his voice low and I end up pressing the earpiece closer into my ear. Outgoing speech to caller- good, the DSP actually works but sometimes I get complaints from people when I leave messages, that there is some type of issue- buzzing, clipping, etc.

Now for the Z9. I bought this off of ebay. Out of the box it was version 3.0. Fit-feels great, I love it! No complaints here. Opened it up and paired it to the 700wx, same as the Jawbone. Same complaints/issues that users have voiced. Low volume, scratchiness, etc.
    Paired to the LG, and called my wife. No one was home but me and it was dead quiet in the house. I asked her how it sounded, no issues-nice and clear. Then I called back with the TV on. I turned the volume up and called her, she was like “WTH, why is it so loud?!? Turn the music down or something!” Aww crap, turned it down and she said the earpiece amplified the background and she could barely hear me. I then proceeded to the BlueAnt site to upgrade the firmware. It’s now at v3.3. Still the same. Amplifying everything whether in “voice isolation standard or max.” SUCK ! I feel like I got a unit that doesn’t have DSP=( Did I get ripped off from ebay? A fake unit?

Did more testing this morning. I left messages on the voicemail at work. Jawbone really did keep the background noise down. Z9 didn't do anything.

I want to post some samples for y’all. I have to setup the voicemail to email forwarding at work.
    IMO right now, the Z9 gets two thumbs down. I’d rather stick to the Jawbone. I had high hopes for the Z9, it was that or the Plantronics 815. Grrr, time to contact BlueAnt support.
    Last edited by rudbwoy; 11/19/2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Z9 "didn't" do anything
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I'm in a bit of a quandary. I bought the Jawbone. Even though my wife says it sounds good, you can clearly hear all the background noise. My voice sounds thin. It clearly doesn't perform the way the video describes.

Looking at the Blueant Z9, with the newest firmware, does it deliver as promised? I need to decide if I'm keeping the Jawbone or not very soon.

Thanks,

McTreo
    Last edited by McTreo; 11/30/2007 at 12:55 PM.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I find the noise suppression better on the Z9 than the Jawbone. It also looks better, feels better, sounds better, controls better... you get the idea. Oh, and the price is better.

McTreo

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    RMA'ing. Let's see what the new one will do....
    Returned my Jawbone (went through 2 units) - couldn't get a good fit. Sound seemed fine.
    Bought a z9 and successfuly paired with my 700wx after upgrading to latest firmware version on z9.
    I have not been able to use voice activated dialing through the z9...
    Anyone solved this?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Yes, voice dialing from the Z9 works fine on my AT&T Tilt!

Quote Originally Posted by ganstead View Post
    Returned my Jawbone (went through 2 units) - couldn't get a good fit. Sound seemed fine.
    Bought a z9 and successfuly paired with my 700wx after upgrading to latest firmware version on z9.
    I have not been able to use voice activated dialing through the z9...
    Anyone solved this?
    So I got the new/replacement Z9. It came loaded with v3.1. v3.4 is out now. I wonder if I should update it....
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks for the news about 3.4. There was a big difference between 3.1 and 3.3. Each update has been significant. I would update if I were you.

Mac

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast