Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I certainly would agree that everyone's experience is individual. Maybe I just got a bum one or it wasn't seated in my ear properly. with the jawbone no one even knew i was in it unless I was standing on a very loud street with the wind blowing. I ordered the black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    The technology does exist...take a look at the Boom. But the problem is, in order to get a really good signal to noise ratio you need a microphone placed closer to your mouth...and protected from external noises...and wind. This way it can be designed to differentiate between external noise and your voice...doesn't even require any fancy electronics. Unfortunately, UmeVoice doesn't make a BT version.

In the meantime, the best compromise I've found is the the Samsung WEP200. It has the same noise problems as any other headset (no noise canceling) but the sound clarity is very good (no artificial sounding voice and no dsp buzz) and the BT range is fantastic.

http://www.theboom.com/technology.html

http://www.theboom.com/image/tech_image.gif
    Good post. The WEP200 is the best BT headset on the market right now.
    Ok my first look at Z9.

-Its perfect fit to my ears. compact and very useable. I can wear for hours and still wont feel a thing. Main problem when wearing jawbone.

-Very Loud.
    Can hear people very well. Even while my tv was cranked up. I didnt do field testing like in bar or anything but to me its very loud. Again the main problem with jawbone.(just a note, I couldnt lower headset noise by lowering on treo 755, weird it may seems but thats what I found on my testing for few hours)

-Functionality.
    I think its first headset I tried that can be connected to 2 or more headset at the same time (well I have to tap on main button, like two taps and it will disconnect from first device and connect to second). I tried it with my macbook and treo 755, it works fine.

-Solid built.
    It is very small like jabra X10 but bit wide. I felt that I might push it bit hard at first but when I felt it in hand bit longer I could feel a solid built in design and material.

-Sound quality.
    Quite honestly when I got home and open up headset I couldnt find anyone available to talk to so I called *2 to check voice prompt. Since I am with sprint I got into voice option menu where I could just talk option and get connected. Since I wanted to check sound quality, I just crank up TV very loud and start talking "PRL update" I said and I was told "do you want software update, just a second let me connect you".
    I then called goog 411 to verify if I was correct, I called and was asked city and state "Houston texas", It was so loud in the room that I couldnt even heard system replying me back city and state so I step bit farther and I was given business listings and I said "Apple computers" and it was repeater back to me Apple computer, Galleria mall store......."
    Anyways I meant to check if I can hold conversations in loud enough environment and with those two test playing with automatic systems and menus in very loud TV noise; I think it will be just fine.

I will use it for week for updating others. Also I have 700P that I gave it to my friend and I will test it on that as well.

Take care.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Ehsan,

Please let us know more. As soon as you have had time to make a good opinion let us know.
    Thanks evperry and Ehsan for your initial impressions of the Z9. Evperry, I want to believe the BlueAnt has produced an excellent headset and perhaps they have. You say you live in NYC. I've been to Canal Street and saw the knock-off watches. I also heard that quite a few people got burned when they found out their poorly performing Samsung WEP200 was a knock-off, while others were very happy with their authentic one. As far as wind suppression, my first BT headset was a Logitech Mobile Freedom. It was uncomfortable after 20 minutes, very large and a bit heavy, a ten foot range and crackled when near a WiFi signal, but the audio was very good both incoming and outgoing and their WindStop mic actually worked! I broke off the earhook and bought a smaller, lighter, slightly more comfortable Logitech Traveller. Unfortunately the outgoing audio was weak.

Ehsan, I'm looking forward to your review after further testing. I always like buying headsets at a brick and mortar store, because I've been disapponted too many times with these BT headsets.

By the way, the best fit in a headset I've experienced was the Nextlink AX2. Unfortunately the speaker distorted after a week. I've been searching for that elusive headset that fits well, has great audio and suppresses wind noise.

If the BlueAnt Z9 turns out to meet those qualities, I won't have to spend high dollars for the much anticipated Nextlink Invisio Q7.
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I actually purchased the headset rom J&R. This is as brick and mortar as you get. They leased an entire block in lower manhattan!

Theproblem was I didnt have anyone to talk to and I crankedmy Tv and called the voicemail. I also had my humidifier going in the basement. It was sweet!!!

As soon as I got working and started dealing with real people listening to me, NO ONE at all could hear me and was complaing. The secretary at my attorneys office told me she was gonna kill me. In her head, it was worth her freedom to never have to deal with my "stupid bluetooth stuff" ever again. I cant tell you what I put this poor girl through with this bluetooth headset fiasco over the last few years. Im sure ive broken a record will all these headsets ive been through.

I have an addiction to the pursuit of the perfect bluetooth headset.

Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt View Post
    Thanks evperry and Ehsan for your initial impressions of the Z9. Evperry, I want to believe the BlueAnt has produced an excellent headset and perhaps they have. You say you live in NYC. I've been to Canal Street and saw the knock-off watches. I also heard that quite a few people got burned when they found out their poorly performing Samsung WEP200 was a knock-off, while others were very happy with their authentic one. As far as wind suppression, my first BT headset was a Logitech Mobile Freedom. It was uncomfortable after 20 minutes, very large and a bit heavy, a ten foot range and crackled when near a WiFi signal, but the audio was very good both incoming and outgoing and their WindStop mic actually worked! I broke off the earhook and bought a smaller, lighter, slightly more comfortable Logitech Traveller. Unfortunately the outgoing audio was weak.

Ehsan, I'm looking forward to your review after further testing. I always like buying headsets at a brick and mortar store, because I've been disapponted too many times with these BT headsets.

By the way, the best fit in a headset I've experienced was the Nextlink AX2. Unfortunately the speaker distorted after a week. I've been searching for that elusive headset that fits well, has great audio and suppresses wind noise.

If the BlueAnt Z9 turns out to meet those qualities, I won't have to spend high dollars for the much anticipated Nextlink Invisio Q7.
    Last edited by evperry; 08/18/2007 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    As soon as I got working and started dealing with real people listening to me, NO ONE at all could hear me and was complaing.
    And it never occurred to you that it might be headset that might be the issue and that you should get new headset?
    I mean I could understand minor issues like it breaks off connection with treo 755P (issue with treos I guess, work fine with my Apple Iphone) and connect again when dialing number.

But as of voice cancellation, I don't have any problem with this headset. And I talk a lot and mostly outside. Today I was with my network admin for an hour on call as I couldn't dial into VPN. Then I called friends on to go shopping "Tax free sale Houston, yayyyy". Some of stores in mall do tend to crank up volume in stores and I was able to talk while shopping.

Also this headset does have a blinking light but you can turn it off by pressing + and - (volume up and down button) together for 3 seconds while not connected to device or idle.

It also got a clip that you can wear it as a tie pin or over your pocket. Very nice!!!!

Also unlike jawbone where you were able to hear beep, inclining and declining, to activate and de-activate voice cancellation; on Z9 there is recorded voice which will let you know when you activate "standard" mode or "Max" mode by clicking button.

Take care.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    yea it occured to me......at this point in life i have no abaility to tolerate soemthing that doesnt work right out the box and hacing to drive to manhattan again and again and again.....

i cant wait to see how everyone else does with theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    And it never occurred to you that it might be headset that might be the issue and that you should get new headset?
    I mean I could understand minor issues like it breaks off connection with treo 755P (issue with treos I guess, work fine with my Apple Iphone) and connect again when dialing number.
    Recieved my Z9 Friday. Tested it with my radio high and ac fan high and while I could hear better with the Z9 no one could hear me at all. Same conditions with the Jawbone I could not hear as well as the Z9 but people could understand me well. When I tried this with low radio and low fan the Z9 was once again easier to hear but the people on the other end couldn't hear me well at all. Same low noise conditions for the Jawbone and people could hear me so well they did not think I was using a headset. Since it is more important people hear me correctly than the other way around I am staying with the Jawbone.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    in a way im glad to hear that im not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by marvw View Post
    Recieved my Z9 Friday. Tested it with my radio high and ac fan high and while I could hear better with the Z9 no one could hear me at all. Same conditions with the Jawbone I could not hear as well as the Z9 but people could understand me well. When I tried this with low radio and low fan the Z9 was once again easier to hear but the people on the other end couldn't hear me well at all. Same low noise conditions for the Jawbone and people could hear me so well they did not think I was using a headset. Since it is more important people hear me correctly than the other way around I am staying with the Jawbone.
  11.    #31  
    Bummer, I get mine tomorrow. I'll let you know. Right now my nokia bh-900 is falling apart. If the z0 doesn't work, I'll just get another nokia. The jawbone never worked well for me.
    I got mine from J&R on Friday - after a few days with it and my iPhone here's the scoop compared to my Jawbone:

- The Jawbone's a little more comfortable on my ear, with the rubber "suspension" it has.

- The Z9 has much better button functionality (using the button to answer calls is more reliable, and volume is easy to control).

- The Z9 can have the blinkenlights turned off. No such luck with Jawbone.

- The Jawbone's voice quality is about equivalent to the Z9. With the Z9, folks can hear me well and like the tone of my voice a little better. The Jawbone does a little better with background noise. The Z9 is better with wind, though both suck.

- The Z9 is about half the size, so once I've found a more comfortable earloop for it I think it's the winner. We'll see about durability - my first Jawbone took a fall and broke the mic assembly back in June. The Z9 feels well-built, but I'm good at killing headsets!
    I got mine last night. I have tested it in a few situations that I had problems before. Mainly in my truck. Though not perfect I can now actually use it. The other end can tell I am on a mobile but they can hear me. I am coming from a Plantronics Voyager 510. With it would get loud but I couldn't understand very well and it had so much background noise it was unusable most of the time. In the same conditions the Z9 I was able to communicate, not perfectly but workable.

Just another opinion.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

14.    #34  
    Looks like there's a firmware update already. Just installed it and will be making some calls tomorrow.

Although the only disappointment so far is outside walking, my friend says wind is unbearable. And this is just with a very slight breeze.

I might try a custom sock.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    I certainly would agree that everyone's experience is individual. Maybe I just got a bum one or it wasn't seated in my ear properly. with the jawbone no one even knew i was in it unless I was standing on a very loud street with the wind blowing. I ordered the black one.
    I think the "Best BT Headset" is based on each individual. I've read reviews of the Jawbone that had me ready to run out and buy it right away; when I did, I ended up highly disappointed. People that I spoke with could either only hear every other word or nothing at all.

Needless to say, the Jawbone was returned; along with several others that have caused me more pain than gain.

Due to the fact that BT in most of these phones is NOT the greatest, its now down to a matter of choice; what works for one may not work for the other 50 people that hurried up and made a purchase based on what one person said.

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate that most take the time to comment on their experiences with one headset versus another; yet at the same time, we have to also keep in mind that your experience isnt mine.

I guess it's no different than many of us who have the same phone; some have had nothing but problems while others havent suffered from one hiccup or glitch.

On another note

Quote Originally Posted by evperry
    Gentlemen,
    There are women that READ and POST here too!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  16.    #36  
    The Z9 is probably going back. I'm getting too many complaints that they can hear the background noise in my suburban or the TV on in the other room. My voice also cuts in and out sometimes, and wind is horrific.

ugh... I had so much high hopes. Back to the nokia bh-900 and the wired boom when at home.
    DSP doesn't work. Just get a headset without DSP and you're set. The WEP200 is the best available currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    DSP doesn't work. Just get a headset without DSP and you're set. The WEP200 is the best available currently.
    I beg to differ, based on my personal experience with the Jawbone. I have used it under a number of noisy conditions, including in a vehicle with windows open and radio on, in a store with music and announcements, and in a car repair shop with fans, music, and air rachets. In all cases, the people on the other end could hear me clearly. Sometimes they did hear some of the background noise, but only bits and pieces or noises that came up suddenly. When I turned off dsp in all these cases, there was a big difference. One person estimated (in the test in the shop) that it cut out 80% of the noise. If you look at the demos on the Jawbone, I believe they are accurate, in terms of the capabilities of the Jawbone.
    I've appreciated the reviews of other writers on this forum about the Z9. I thought I would take a moment to add my two cents worth on this new product.

I've been going able to successfully connected with my Treo 650 and with my ThinkPad Z60t (with embedded Bluetooth). At first I had trouble using the headset with my Treo. People could not hear what I was saying. They said I sounded garbled or that I was very distant. I upgraded the firmware of the Z9 to version 2 and then repeated my test calls to friends and they could hear me much better. In fact, the voice quality that they heard was just a good as the voice coming from the Treo voice pickup.

After I got the Z9 working with my Treo, I then tried to pair of the Z9 with my laptop. The pairing process went very smoothly and Dragon NaturallySpeaking recognized the Bluetooth device immediately. I had to retrain Dragon NaturallySpeaking to understand my voice through this new device. But after completing the five or 10 minute process the accuracy of this headset is very comparable to my old Andrea noise cancelling headset which had a boom that positioned the microphone very close to the corner of my mouth. The Andrea was also a wired analog headset plugged into the audio-out and microphone jacks on my laptop. I am very impressed that the Z9 can perform so accurately from such a long distance from my mouth! In fact, I'm dictating this note to you using by Z9 headset and Dragon NaturallySpeaking and the process is going pretty well considering I just started training Dragon to my new voice (via the Z9).

My Z9 fits very comfortably on my ear. It has a small clear plastic loop that hooks around my ear and holds the Z9 snuggly to my ear. I like that the headset fits tight and comfortably because I don't like feeling a headset that flops around and wobbles when I move my head from side to side.

Regarding the Bluetooth connectivity problems that others have reported with the Treo 650; I have not had that problem yet, but I've only been using it for a couple of days. So far do lost pairings.

BOTTOM LINE

In-coming sound quality: very good
    Out-going voice quality: very good
    Comfort: excellent

Be sure to upgrade the firmware of the Z9
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I beg to differ, based on my personal experience with the Jawbone. I have used it under a number of noisy conditions, including in a vehicle with windows open and radio on, in a store with music and announcements, and in a car repair shop with fans, music, and air rachets. In all cases, the people on the other end could hear me clearly. Sometimes they did hear some of the background noise, but only bits and pieces or noises that came up suddenly. When I turned off dsp in all these cases, there was a big difference. One person estimated (in the test in the shop) that it cut out 80% of the noise. If you look at the demos on the Jawbone, I believe they are accurate, in terms of the capabilities of the Jawbone.
    I've used the Jawbone and it was worthless. Being able to hear the person is one thing, but being able to hear them with DSP clipping and digitizing their voice is something else. The Jawbone has very poor sound quality when in noisy environments where there isn't a single, constant background noise (like their rigged demonstrations with blenders and lawn equipment). People who I spoke with preferred being able to hear my voice naturally along with some background noise as opposed to clipping all of my words and letting through bursts of background noise.

Z9 reviews seems to be nearly unaminous on the complaint that the outgoing sound quality is poor and the volume is horrible. Hopefully the v2 firmware update really makes a big difference like Byte experienced.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast