1.    #1  
    The complaints about the cell phone companies (including ones aired here) are being heard in congress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20010697/site/newsweek/

While we know how slow congress moves, if at all, you may want to copy your member of congress and the CEO of the carrier if you write a complaint e-mail or letter. It can't hurt and may actually catch the attention of the carriers and your elected representative. Sometimes, these issues do catch fire , especially when an election is coming up. Some of our specific complaints may be issues for only a small number of people, but almost everyone has a cell phone and the dissatisfaction runs deep. Besides, you can be pretty sure your Congressperson won't tell you do a hard reset and then reprovision the phone.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    Besides, you can be pretty sure your Congressperson won't tell you do a hard reset and then reprovision the phone.
    LOL! Perhaps we can reset and reprovision our Congressional "representatives" as well......
    GSM is GSM. CDMA is CDMA.

Hence, you'll never be able to use your Sprint/Verizon phone on Cingular/TMo or vice-versa. And Nextel is right out.

Be neat to see what would happen if everyone's phone fell back to Analog mode if Congress changes the "rules," though.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    GSM is GSM. CDMA is CDMA.

Hence, you'll never be able to use your Sprint/Verizon phone on Cingular/TMo or vice-versa. And Nextel is right out.

Be neat to see what would happen if everyone's phone fell back to Analog mode if Congress changes the "rules," though.
    If they made dual GSM/CDMA phones, you would be able to use both...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

And VZW does just that with the BB World Edition, though it will not work on GSM in the U.S. That's a corporate issue, not a technological one. Even allowing switching phones within CDMA or GSM would offer more choices. You used to be able to do it between Sprint and VZW, but as far as I know, they've now prohibited it. I understand that the carriers subsidize the phones, but that might explain why they charge a fee to cancel your contract, not why they often prohibit you from using a phone you bring over or why they charge the fee when you paid full price for a phone. And as for the often stated "we have to make sure the phone works up to our standards" rationale, you only need to look at how well they're doing with phone's that are presumably up to their standards (e.g. the 700p), to see the flaw in that logic.

The Bell companies made the same arguments the wireless carriers make now about the harm that would be done by allowing customers to have more choices. But it seems to have worked out. And, the cable companies argued that allowing customers to make phone calls over the internet would result in tremendous problems, now they all sell the same services. It's all part of the evolution of the technology.
    Cingular use to provide a gsm/cdma/analog phone that would work anywhere in the US. But the plan that went with it sucked.
    Matty
    Something similar would be to legislate the use of RUIM cards.

They supposedly can be switched between GSM & CDMA, just like a SIM card.

Won't happen, but it'd be nice...It's the dirty technology secret no one talks about, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I wish I was able to take my GSM phone onto a CDMA network. Just either make all networks GSM or make all phones GSM/ CDMA with RUIM cards. I love the idea... will never happen. lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Sprint/Verizon BB8830
    I would prefer congress (both house and senate) spend all their efforts and cell phones and telecommunications and stop medaling in wars and taxes. if they could just spend a year to 3 on the 700p i could say the my tax dollars finally did something for for me
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    I would prefer congress (both house and senate) spend all their efforts and cell phones and telecommunications and stop medaling in wars and taxes. if they could just spend a year to 3 on the 700p i could say the my tax dollars finally did something for for me
    Sarcasm duly noted, and a point well taken to a certain extent. Clearly, fair regulation of industry, (communications and otherwise) is less critical than management of/stopping of (depending on your view) the war.

However, whether or not I think action is needed in this particular area, I wouldn't want Congress to stop executing its responsibility to involve itself in other areas of policy. This would include deciding which level of regulation, if any, is necessary for various industries. Other things may have higher priority, but Congress still has other work to do.

Sorry, I'm a Social Studies teacher, I couldn't help myself.
    Just remember, you are asking for the same people that wrote the CAN-SPAM act to get further involved with the cell phone industry than they already are. Is that REALLY what you want???
  13.    #13  
    Whether we like it or not, they are involved. The cell phone companies are using public airways (our property) under licenses we are all subsidizing with our taxes. The phones are radio transmitters that are approved by the FCC. We are way beyond the point of deciding whether the government will be involved; the only question is on whose side will it be involved?