1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Does anybody have a good theory why Google Maps does not provide an 'autotracking' feature via GPS akin to the Windows Mobile version of Google's mapping software?

The 'Where am I' application is a very useful to find an initial location with Google Maps via GPS, but I wonder why Google omits the feature. I suspect it is some sort of agreement with some set of software manufacturers to not put them out of business.

I'm thinking to trade my 700p in for a device which supports autotracking GPS in Google Maps... any idea why Google keeps it out of the 700p?

Thanks if any ideas.
    Heck, I'd be happy if it could just pull the zip code from the radio tower the way the old Palm VII (non-phone) used to do wireless...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I'd love to know the answer to this as well. Anyone have any ideas?
    Maybe it has something to do with multi-tasking. Or Google isn't investing too much time with PalmOS and trying to compete more with Microsoft Live Search which also has this feature. I went from 700p to Mogul and love this GPS feature on my Mogul.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the useful replies, I now know I'm not off-track with my implementation of the 700p. After reading up on the Mogul (great recommendation, thanks!), I just decided to move to a Windows-based platform. As much as I try to avoid MS, the thought of having non-limited GPS use, WiFi, and bluetooth is just too much to resist

Thanks again.
    -B
  6.    #6  
    Hi Gary,

I've found many of your posts to be very informative on this board, you and the others others have really helped me with the 700p-- I'm finally saying thanks.

Thanks again,
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    Heck, I'd be happy if it could just pull the zip code from the radio tower the way the old Palm VII (non-phone) used to do wireless...

Gary
    I seem to recall that on the Kyocera 7135 that the GPS & cell tower info was purposely blocked to developers and only used in emergency status. Perhaps there's a similar situation here.
  8.    #8  
    @TJSunDevil:
    I follow your thinking regarding the use of cell data for user positioning use.

One property I have noticed is that GPS devices (e.g. an i-Blue 737) which provide position data to the 700p handset cannot be accessed from the Palm version of Google Maps, whereas the Windows Mobile version of Google Maps does. This allows the nearly real-time tracking of user position via Google Maps on a Windows-based smartphone, yet the Palm version provides no such capability. The difference is akin to the increased functionality available with the 'paid for' (~$20 or so?) version of the (real) computer version of Google Maps which allows external GPS data use although the free version of Google Maps does not (last I checked anyway).

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    I seem to recall that on the Kyocera 7135 that the GPS & cell tower info was purposely blocked to developers and only used in emergency status. Perhaps there's a similar situation here.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with multi-tasking...
    Doubt this is the case; if so none of the Palm OS based GPS software (i.e., TomTom) would be able to work either.

...Or Google isn't investing too much time with PalmOS and trying to compete more with Microsoft Live Search which also has this feature...
    I tend to agree more with this rationale as Window Mobile seems to be gaining significant market share and Palm remains static (stale?).

...I went from 700p to Mogul and love this GPS feature on my Mogul.
    Certainly a neat feature on the Mogul, it makes for good poor man's GPS solution. However I've found the map information is not up to date in several places, but hey is free!
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Simple, just like everything else these days it's probably related to terrorism and the way it could be used by terrorists. I mean heck, if the terrorists knew where they were they could blow up important things! We can't have that now can we?
    You are right. Good thing no one remembers how to use paper maps...
    I am interested in buying freedom key chain size gps receiver if this solution "where am I" works with recent version of Google maps.
    Any reviews? Does it really work?
    thanks in advance.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Ehsan, I just bought the Freedom mini & installed "Where Am I" as well as Geoniche & am currently trying Telenav. WAI does what it says & does it well, it tells me where I am on GMaps but nothing more than that as far as I can tell.
    Sprint Treo 700p
    Transcend 150x 4GB SD card
    Quote Originally Posted by NV43345 View Post
    Ehsan, I just bought the Freedom mini & installed "Where Am I" as well as Geoniche & am currently trying Telenav. WAI does what it says & does it well, it tells me where I am on GMaps but nothing more than that as far as I can tell.
    So if Gmaps knows where I am, I can still use all Gmaps functions like type in address or get from my contacts and get directions for it?

Thanks
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    This can't be it, I use GPS on my Treo all the time with TomTom and intelligolf. You have to have a dongle since there is no built-in GPS on the treo (not even the centro ). Any kind of emergency response based location system based on tower triangulation isn't going to have the accuracy that you'd need in order to use a map program. It's close, but not good enough from what I understand.

My guess would have been that they didn't want to spend time on the palm version, but just recently they updated the prc. There are new icons at the top of the screne in the new version. So unless this was just part of the common source (which it doesn't seem like it would be since the are adding touch icons), or adding GPS is many tens of man hours more complex (problably is, although give me the source and I'd give it a try for free).

Anyways, it would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Certainly a neat feature on the Mogul, it makes for good poor man's GPS solution. However I've found the map information is not up to date in several places, but hey is free! [/QUOTE]

I paid quite a bit for tomtom and even the latest maps are much less up to date than google.
    I disagree on the tower precision comment. I do not know if it is triangulation or how they actually implement it but that is how the subsciption based GPS solutions (Telenav?) work and even though slower (as tested on a Moto Razor), it works very well.