1.    #1  
    I've had my phone a few weeks and am beginning to notice a few issues so now i have a few questions...

I see many people have updated via the new MR 1.10, from the complaints it sounds like it might not be worth it...

A couple issues I've had since I bought the phone (fyi, i have not installed any software on it, has only defaults)

1) I was using a bluetooth headset recently and my phone went into a loop after i hung up. Neither a soft reset nor warm reset could stop the loop. I had to hard reset it. Now I've only had the phone a few weeks and I am getting worried about its reliability... I did a search on the forums and found issues with bluetooth, but not issues of looping like this possibly caused by bt.

2) oh and unlike the 2 nonsmart phones i've had, reception on this phone is poor in my apartment - is poor reception a common complaint or could it be the hardware in my particular model?

finally, my backlight goes off at random times and when I go to the brightness setting it shows that it is NOT on it's lowest setting. Once i move the slider left or right the backlighting changes to the correct brightness for that point on the slider. I have no idea what is causing this.

thoughts would be appreciated, thanks
    Poor phone reception in locations where you had no problem with other phones is not unusual with the 700p. I keep a wired headset in the office to use with the 700P. I find that keeping the phone away from the body improves call quality.

I had the loop problem with my prior bluetooth headset. I switched to a Jabra JX10 and that problem ended.

Note: The Jabra does need to stay well charged to avoid connection problems.
    1)I've never had any of the issues you're mentioning. Even after the MR 1.10, I'm not having those problems. Of course I have a ton of software and rarely use my phone as a phone. I receive calls, get them over quickly, and hang up. I haven't experience any loops with Bluetooth, but I rarely use it with the headset. I'll test and get back to you.

2) I think, I may have a problem with drop calls from my job. But since I didn't use the old phone from work, it's hard to know if it's a Treo issue.
    1) Although the use of wireless headsets and portable bluetooth keyboards was one of my motivating factors to sink a lot of money into my 700p and associated bluetooth hardware upon initial release to market, I have sadly abandoned the use of any of it. I haven't had the bluetooth loop you mention, but as you have probably seen on this and other boards, the bluetooth implementation was not ready when the 700p was released. Unfortunately, since the 1xRTT support is broken in the bluetooth upgrade, I am still avoiding the partial and haphazard MR which Palm has released. In short, of the 3 coworkers whom also currently use a 700p, all of us have given up on the use of bluetooth devices.

2) I have Verizon with two phones on the account. The LG phone commonly displays 1-2 (of ~5) bars more than the 700p and the 700p consistently sounds poorer than the LG in areas of limited or challenging wireless coverage.

3) My backlight often 'turns off' during a call. This prevents the use of the screen as a display device which therefore severely limits phone functionality. One problem resulting from this instance of poor design on Palm's part is that if another call is received before I can manage to fiddle with the screen long enough to read it, I'll likely drop the call due to some combination of not being able to read the screen and all sorts of 15-30 second lags which the phone typically exhibits after a call is completed. Also problematic is the fact that if I have another call 'waiting' while I finish one call, the screen backlight will 'turn off' which often results in my dropping the second call. Also worrisome is the fact that my manipulation of the phone in order to reactivate the screen seems to also place random calls to others in my phone book. Given some combination of bad luck with this phone in general and Murphy's law, I'll often call somebody by mistake whom I'd really prefer to not bother at that time.

Often when my backlight does not 'go out' after or during a call, the bluetooth window will appear instead. I wonder how many other people have this problem.

In brief, and also in a very well-researched and frustrated fashion, I can confirm that you should be questioning whether or not the 700p is a 'good purchase'. In my case, I could have bought a decent car with the time lost to researching, fixing, swearing at, etc. my 700p and really should have given up on it by now and bought a Blackberry. For one, I bought a 700p for 'push email'. However Palm does not advise initial customers that 'push email' in areas which only provide 1xRTT (no EVDO where I live in Santa Barbara, CA) will cause incoming calls to divert directly to voicemail (if the push is checking for mail etc) which in my case caused me to miss approx. 1/4 of my incoming calls (so I therefore cannot use push email along with no bluetooth). Blackberries work, don't crash, support bluetooth, provide push email, and have a much happier user base. As far as I know, the Palm user base is tired of the product and company (which does not manufacture the phone by the way, and only recently regained rights to the OS), and is currently stuck with their phones due to contract limitations, legacy software needs (such as medical references), etc and the simple fact that they haven't moved away yet.

This is a long reply, but I went through the bother to make this account (my first post on this board) and write this up for one reason: if you are a new 700p and still have the option, I would suggest you try to obtain a different phone instead. Mine has been the biggest headache of a device I have ever had to deal with (and I do technology for a living).

Cheers.
    Well, if you don't have EVDO, it's not clear to me why one would buy this phone anyway. I use BT on weekends, it always pairs with the cheapo Palm headset, and I've had very few problems, and those were explainable if I kept after it. In almost all cases it was due to third party apps, not the 700p (the one exception being skipping Ptunes). I have a lot more complaints about the Sprint network than I do about the 700p. I happen to really like mine. Oh, and I've never updated mine and definitely won't, but I haven't had the problems that some have had.
    Sadly after the initial "honey-moon" post-MR period several problems caused by the MR itself have surfaced, some minor and anoying, other more serious. What has me looking for a suitable replacement is that after the MR my phone is now dropping calls frequently in my home service area where signal is (and has always been) very strong. Happens on-off and regardless of location - does not happen with any other phone I have with Sprint so is NOT a network issue but a phone issue.

As is to be expected neither Palm nor Sprint have any knowledge of any such problems or a clue of what is or how to fix it beyond purchasing a new Palm unit - which I refuse to as a matter of principle.

I agree with the previous poster, if you have an option send back the Treo and try another unit. I need a smartphone and I am looking for suitable replacements (outside of Palm branded offerings); for me, the only option do to limitations in the software I need, Windows Mobile is the only other OS suitable for my needs, however this one also leaves much to be desired.

I am strongly considering moving back to my Samsung i500 (yeah, still have one on near-mint condition); even with the more antiquated hardware this Palm OS smartphone is ions ahead for the Treo 700p in terms of OS usability and stability.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    <<M>>

I asked the same question after I bought my 700p in November. It did the ocassional freeze and I asked my buddy who has one for work if his freezes. He says no cuz he rarely uses it. But If you elimintate using Bluetooth you'll eliminate some some of your reboot problems. Personally I posted earlier (a few months ago) that when I was in Japan (for 3 weeks) and didnt have the radio on the treo never rebooted once and never caused any problems. Then getting the MR update the honeymoon lasted for maybe 1 day. Unfortunately its thumbs down all the way. I rarely use my phone and I talked to Verizon and I might have my data plan deleted for maybe 1-2 months before I update to something else (Wife isnt happy).
    @davidra:
    Thanks for the response. I initially selected EVDO since I work 40% in San Francisco and 60% in Santa Barbara (both in California, USA) and the combination of EVDO in SF and 1xRTT would have theoretically been sufficient since I do most of my heavy data lifting in SF, where I depend on the greater speeds (since I am away from home there). Of course it was not clear to me that 1xRTT would break push-email on the Treo 700p, and only after much experimentation and eventually searching (I wasn't expecting to need to sink loads of time into troubleshooting the device for weeks after buying it), etc. did I find that 1xRTT was the problem. Of course I was trying to use several bluetooth headsets, the bluetooth 'tethered' Verizon data service with my laptop, a bluetooth portable keyboard all nearly simultaneously so any seasoned Treo user will immediately identify the stability issues which inevitably ensue. The simultaneous decoupling of these numerous problems made it difficult to identify which problem was caused by which source, so only after my trial period was up was I able to link 1xRTT with push (e.g. one way to crash both Treos I have owned is to have an incoming call while push is checking email). Needless to say I don't monkey with push IMAP4 anymore

I can understand that your 'cheapo Palm' bluetooth headset works on the weekends, but I was sadly mistaken in believing that I could use the handset for work use. From my experience, the difference between users whom do and do not have problems with their Treos is mostly based on their expectations and previous experience with trying to implement 'demanding' configurations, such as the coupling of the Think Outside bluetooth keyboard (the driver of this device surely spurns chuckles from any user whom has also tried to use it with the Treo).

Regarding third party apps, you correctly point out that they are notorious for causing stability issues. However, the poor stability of the bluetooth-mode Palm/Verizon official tethered data application was also miserable (I have abondoned its use long ago). Of course we now know that bluetooth in general is problematic. As you have also probably realized after researching the latest official Palm MR release, it is clear that not only 'third party' apps can cause problems on the handheld.

To be fair, I have no complaints with Verizon (my service provider) and would recommend their wireless cell and data service to any unsatisfied Sprint user. Their technical support is also impressive, even when trying to help with the Palm handheld (which is obviously not their fault).

Thanks for your advice, it is from learning the stories of various users on this board that I have managed to survive as long as I have with the 700p.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well, if you don't have EVDO, it's not clear to me why one would buy this phone anyway. I use BT on weekends, it always pairs with the cheapo Palm headset, and I've had very few problems, and those were explainable if I kept after it. In almost all cases it was due to third party apps, not the 700p (the one exception being skipping Ptunes). I have a lot more complaints about the Sprint network than I do about the 700p. I happen to really like mine. Oh, and I've never updated mine and definitely won't, but I haven't had the problems that some have had.
    I didn't read the OP but if you bought the 700p you made a bad purchase.
    Considering its been replaced by the 755p for awhile now, i'd have to agree.
    I'm the first to admit that my usage of my 700P, especially Bluetooth, is limited. I have never tried to use anything but a headset, and the two I've tried work fine, but for those who require more, this may not be the phone for you. I have been convinced for a long time now that there are variations in the hardware. People have resets on clean phones and have problems without third party software that I dont have with a full Treo. Clearly, YMMV, but I'm pleased as punch with mine.
    I'm guessing that your endless loop reset issue is caused by a 3rd party app rather than your BT Headset. Try a system reset (instead of a hard reset) by holding the UP button and pressing the reset hole and continuing to hold the up button thru the reset until the App launcher appears. Then continue to use your BT headset and see if your Treo resets in the same manner (DO NOT RESET your treo again while testing your BT headset). If it works without resetting, then it is most certainly a 3rd party app.

The system reset will disable all 3rd party apps that might be causing a conflict or just plain bad programming, until you reset your Treo again.

As for the second problem, is your Treo warm when the screen goes black? Does the light come on if you move the option-P slider all the way to the right? If yes to either, then it is a normal function of your Treo to prevent it from burning it up.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    The 700p is a good device. It's not perfect, but no phone is. In surveys, the majority of people are relatively satisfied with it. You have to consider the capabilities it has and compare that with other devices. You'll be hard pressed to find an equivalent device. However, if you don't want to work through some bugs, and don't want to load any third-party software (which really enhances the capabilities), you might as well just get a plain cell phone. The beauty of the Treo is all the things you can do with it, albiet a lot with third-party software. But, that is the caveat, as some software tends to cause problems for the Treo. Just go slow, have some patience and you will really enjoy it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Considering its been replaced by the 755p for awhile now, i'd have to agree.
    I have Verizon, not Sprint. i.e. no 755p release yet.
    Dear gapost,

Please know that I read your text with alarm since your claim that "the majority of people are relatively satisfied with it" is not consistent with my reading of recent survey data nor is your comment consistent with my personal findings from discussions regarding the 700p with fellow users.

For instance, the recent ChangeWave survey of 3003 "highly qualified business, technology and medical professionals in leading companies of select industries" was taken in July, 2007. One conclusion of the report is that "just 36% of Motorola owners, 34% of Palm (PALM) Treo owners and 29% of Sony (SNE) Ericsson owners reported that they were very satisfied with their cell phones." Converesely, the ChangeWave study also claimed that "Research In Motion also received a relatively high customer satisfaction rating, with 50% of owners reporting they were very satisfied" and "77% of iPhone owners said they were very satisfied with their new Apple product."

I urge you to read the complete analysis at the following URL:
    http://www.changewave.com/freeconten...al-080107.html
    whereby the study also determined that more than three times the number of survey respondents expect to purchase a RIM device in the next six months than plan to purchase Palm Treo products.

Gapost, can you please cite some of the recent studies you mention in your post which back up your claim that "the majority of people are relatively satisfied with it" as I am truly eager to analyze any such report. Of course I recognize that your specific inclusion of the phrase 'relatively satisfied' may allow you some room for personal interpretation of the recent data and I await your response in honest curiosity.

My personal feeling as well as my interpretation of the current popular sentiment differs vastly from yours. Please keep in mind that your claim is specific to the 700p, and if you can spare a moment I am eager to review the data you have casually reported above.

Regards,
    -B

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    The 700p is a good device. It's not perfect, but no phone is. In surveys, the majority of people are relatively satisfied with it. You have to consider the capabilities it has and compare that with other devices. You'll be hard pressed to find an equivalent device. However, if you don't want to work through some bugs, and don't want to load any third-party software (which really enhances the capabilities), you might as well just get a plain cell phone. The beauty of the Treo is all the things you can do with it, albiet a lot with third-party software. But, that is the caveat, as some software tends to cause problems for the Treo. Just go slow, have some patience and you will really enjoy it.
    Everyone should run away from the 700p at this point, or any PalmOS-based device. I know people have a lot invested in PalmOS applications and some of you are staunch loyalists, but new users should take a serious look at Windows Mobile devices such as the 700wx or Blackberry devices.

PalmOS is an old, outdated operating system that doesn't multitask and is getting very little ongoing maintenance support from Palm. You're buying into a platform that is already obsolete and will be dead soon.
    One more thing... 700p wireless reception is weak. In my home, the 700p constantly dropped calls and would lose signal constantly. Switching from one ear to the other during a conversation would cause a drop of 1-2 bars of signal -- this happened on each of the seven 700p's I've had this past year.

Since being sent the 700wx by Verizon as a replacement, I have none of these issues. Signal is still only two bars in my home, but it doesn't fluctuate and call quality is solid without any drops. If I go upstairs my signal increases to four bars -- something the 700p never did.

Just another strike against the 700p, from my experience.
  18.    #18  
    Update: within my 30 day trial with Verizon I switched to a PN-820 WinMo5 smart phone.

First and foremost: as a phone it works fabulously! That is the most important think for me, personal info management is second.

Plus I don't have a huge form factor anymore. Overall I'm glad I switched.

PS 700p isaheadache, your posts are spot on!